Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
FWIW, my Orbi setup has never disconnected even once on me. I have 3 satellites.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Networking stuff.

Has anyone ever used one of these:
Looks neat enough but I guess I could achieve the same with short cable and putting the switch between the patch panels. My company is completely redoing one building and I might just go ahead and want a bunch (5) of these... What am I missing?

Kiki

Log Wizard
naw, I just make my own cables. cool tho. I like that you can do fiber with it, that's a bit harder to make cables for lol

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Any recommendations for a "home cloud" thing? I'm not trying to break the bank, have six 2TB WD RED drives available because the NAS they were in croaked and I'm in charge of ... destroying the data.

Just a 2-drive thing to store pics on I guess...?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
If it is just for data, few users, and no streaming any media (no transcoding) then you could go with a Synology DS218j. Other people probably know more than me, but the Synology stuff generally comes well recommended. However, that is a 2018 model (the -18- part of the model #) so they will likely come out with a refresh soon so you may want to wait.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Edit: nvm - it was so easy to setup the first Google WiFi - have a nice weekend, guys :cool:

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Have to get under my house in the crawl space this weekend to check on some sub-flooring in my kitchen, so figured at the same time why not run a 100ft network cable to give the wife and I wired internet at the same time. Excite!!

Although I do admit that nearly direct line of sight 5ghz wireless has been fantastic and extremely stable, and it maxes out my connection speeds without issues. Hence why I haven't bothered to get dirty underneath my house before this, but now that I have a second reason to do so, I'll kill 2 birds...

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Have to get under my house in the crawl space this weekend to check on some sub-flooring in my kitchen, so figured at the same time why not run a 100ft network cable to give the wife and I wired internet at the same time. Excite!!

Although I do admit that nearly direct line of sight 5ghz wireless has been fantastic and extremely stable, and it maxes out my connection speeds without issues. Hence why I haven't bothered to get dirty underneath my house before this, but now that I have a second reason to do so, I'll kill 2 birds...

are you the type that watches lots of stuff in the kitchen?, i mean don't get me wrong, everyroom in my house is wired. also don't forget about insulation as a hinderance

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
is this possible?

i already have a smart garage opener, i wanted to play with a chamberlain too, to connect it, it connects itself to your phone via wifi (you install the app on phone and app makes your phone into a base station, just to talk to the device), well it didn't pair, like one of the only things that never worked.

then i noticed my phone was downloading a podcast slow and it was cuz it defaulted to 2g, for whatever reason i couldn't connect to 5g, in fact all my devices were knocked off 5g. it took a hardware reset to make my 5g network, connectable.

so, could this app have crippled my 5g network?

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I doubt it, although I'll admit that I don't know very much about phones. Sounds like you need to power cycle it.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anyone have personal experience with TP-Link Deco M9 Plus mesh? I currently have two old AC68Us doing the ASUS mesh thing for full coverage of my house, and it doesn't seem to be working very well.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
My coworker got that for his parents. Said it worked great for them and they don’t have any issue with dropout or speed.

• 1Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Should I run a single Ethernet cable to attic and leave a Gigabit switch in there to cable all upstairs rooms? Or should I run cables from patch panel to every room?

Patch panel is in basement.

For getting from the attic to the wall port location, should I buy this? Or would a fish tape be good enough?

Kiki

Log Wizard
a switch adds a point of failure if you can avoid it. Plus attics get hot.

I've always just used fish tape.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Parents in law want a hotel ready travel router. RAVPower FileHub AC750 seem like a good pick? Has a bunch of fancy dick stuff while still giving them the portable wifi access from a hotel ethernet or wifi.

Piggyback question, are there *any* portable travel routers that can easily bypass/autoauth against a captive portal or do they all need a smartphone/browser access before they will work?

Crone

Parents in law want a hotel ready travel router. RAVPower FileHub AC750 seem like a good pick? Has a bunch of fancy dick stuff while still giving them the portable wifi access from a hotel ethernet or wifi.

Piggyback question, are there *any* portable travel routers that can easily bypass/autoauth against a captive portal or do they all need a smartphone/browser access before they will work?
Side question if I may... what's the point of the travel router?

I travel every single week, and bring of course plenty of my own electronics, including a gaming laptop, and never once did I feel like I needed to get a separate router to use while in the hotel?

Kiki

Log Wizard
It's probably never a bad idea to put a NAT firewall between you and the rest of the hotels network in case they don't do things like microsegmentation. I could see a few other reasons for it, crappy hotel wifi (but good wired), no device setup even with multiple devices, vpn, etc. I don't do it either.

Crone

You guys usually mess with media prioritization on your home routers much? Never really had that demanding of a network, and I don't do VOIP, so QoS seemed a little silly. But I was just downloading the new'ish Doom on Steam, and it cranked up to 20.4 MB/s down, but the kids started watching Ducktales on Disney+, on the living room TV which is wired (versus my Wireless 5ghz), and now I'm at like KB/s. Lol