Routers & Other Networking Stuff

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Yes I usually qos by IP address and give my IP highest priority.

Network admin privilege

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Got the 3 pack TP-Link Deco M9Plus from Costco on sale for $225 and just got it set up. Should have been a breeze but AT&Ts stupid gateway doesn't leave itself open to connections after being put in IP Passthrough mode (which is hard wired and set by MAC address), so I had to reset the whole damn thing and connect them one by one. Then after I finally got it all set up, I updated the firmware and in doing so the update changed my LAN IP gateway from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.4.x. So I had to go through and reset everything again.

So far I'm happy with the speed and coverage of the units, though. I replaced an old ASUS AI-Mesh network using two T-mobile AC1900s firmware converted to 68Us. To say this is a tech upgrade is an understatement. The only real bug for me is that you can only control the Deco units through the dedicated smartphone app. I can't just go type the main router's IP and get to a settings page. Doing all the set up through a phone app is fucking stupid.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You guys usually mess with media prioritization on your home routers much? Never really had that demanding of a network, and I don't do VOIP, so QoS seemed a little silly. But I was just downloading the new'ish Doom on Steam, and it cranked up to 20.4 MB/s down, but the kids started watching Ducktales on Disney+, on the living room TV which is wired (versus my Wireless 5ghz), and now I'm at like KB/s. Lol
No and I'm not sure why it would drop you that low. What router?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No and I'm not sure why it would drop you that low. What router?
Linksys E7300. Direct line of sight on my desktop 5ghz wireless. Working on getting wired. Related, maybe, when on discord I'll see the ping meter go red pretty regularly. Lasts a few seconds and goes back green.

I mean clearly I just need to go wired and this all gets fixed. I feel like I could search and bring up old problems I had posted about where I had constant wireless packet drops on an older system too. Totally different router and hardware.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wireless shouldn't give you that much trouble. Not familiar with the router, but I've had nothing but problems with Linksys products. Are you using a decent wireless card?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What's the fastest wired router I can buy short of a building a pfsense box?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
What's the fastest wired router I can buy short of a building a pfsense box?

What do you mean by "fastest router"? Imho every router is "fast" when the bottleneck is your WAN link, unless you're talking about some sort of integrated IPS functionality.

Kiki

Log Wizard
You could have file transfer between multiple devices at once or something, so it's possible you need backplane throughput more than you need WAN port throughput. Maybe you have people editing video off a NAS or some other sharing of large files.

We would need to know your internet speed and your intended application. Also if you are using Wifi and what kind. If we are just talking WAN, I use both a Linksys and an ASUS on a 1gig symmetrical and both get enough throughput to handle it. I had to buy new ones because the previous ones wouldn't go past 80. Anything modern with these brands is probably fine.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
WIRED router? 10GE probably. Not sure if they make anything outside of managed switches that aren't wireless. A regular 1GE router should suffice. But I guess I need to know what you mean by "fastest".

Linksys E-series routers fucking suck dick. Their bandwidth prioritization is complete AIDS. I previously owned two different levels of E-series ($80 and $125? can't remember) and they both fried after 1-2 years and had shit range. The WRT1900ACS I have now has served me quite well with tons of devices connected, downloading, streaming 4K on two TV's over wifi...

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I now have gigabit fiber.

Wow, fancy..

I haven't tried these specific models before, but everything else from Ubiquiti I've used has been amazing and rock solid for the price. This is more commercial oriented though, so if you want more consumer related functions like UnPnP and shit, maybe their consumer stuff would be better, but probably doesn't have the raw power the Edge models have.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I need the fastest router for hardware NAT and hardware IPsec, that is actually affordable aka not a Cisco or Juniper or some other enterprise priced gear.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I need the fastest router for hardware NAT and hardware IPsec, that is actually affordable aka not a Cisco or Juniper or some other enterprise priced gear.

Edgerouter does hardware based IPSec offloading and costs a fraction of what an equivalent Cisco or Juniper would cost. 300 bucks for a 12 port gigabit router with sfp ports is a bargain. I highly doubt your gonna find hardware based IPSec offloading in a consumer router.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't actually need all those ports though, I already have good switches.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yeah I'm using an ER-X now, I should just buy one of the beefier ones.

Well there you go.. And as you know they have models with different quantity of ports.

I love UI stuff. Swapped out my firm's Cisco Aironets and 5508 Controller which was expensive and hellish to manage with a bunch of UI AP's and it's infinitely better..

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well there you go.. And as you know they have models with different quantity of ports.

I love UI stuff. Swapped out my firm's Cisco Aironets and 5508 Controller which was expensive and hellish to manage with a bunch of UI AP's and it's infinitely better..
What should I buy then? The ER4?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Taking over the world of course
1581651428940.png