Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Uhhh depends. Are your walls concrete? Is it two floors? Anything odd about the layout? Can you draw a quick layout in ms paint or something and mark where the router would be located.

What's your current internet speed and what kind of speed are you expecting?
Couple of concrete walls, but nothing major. Internet comes into the basement.

Today was the first day of distance learning, and the wife HAD it once all 3 kids couldn't video-chat at the same time. I like my school district, but the idea that every class of every grade needs to video chat at the same time in the morning was not run past any type of technology person...

So we went from 150mb service to 1000mb and now I have an amplifi setup being delivered tomorrow.

This I'm ok with.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Couple of concrete walls, but nothing major. Internet comes into the basement.

Today was the first day of distance learning, and the wife HAD it once all 3 kids couldn't video-chat at the same time. I like my school district, but the idea that every class of every grade needs to video chat at the same time in the morning was not run past any type of technology person...

So we went from 150mb service to 1000mb and now I have an amplifi setup being delivered tomorrow.

This I'm ok with.
So you have gig internet? Amplifi doesn't support gig last I checked. Id drop money on aliens.

Last edited:

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Looks like I'm wrong. Guess amplifi hd can do gig
I hope so, though I'm really doubting I'll be stressing the line to that much of a degree that I'll notice a diff between 300Mbps vs 1000Mbps

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Moved into my place. Pretty stoked about how the network turned out. Blazing fast 400Mbps+ wired. On average with wireless I'm hitting 280-340Mbps but I still need to configure my unifi network some more to see if I can bump those numbers up. So far love unifi environment. Unifi tough cable cat5e is also solid.

Next I need to throw all my IoT stuff on VLAN.. Also, thinking about grabbing another unifi ap mesh and running cat5e about 100ft to it. It would be mounted on a wooden poll. I think I'll add an arlo pro 3 floodlight with pv panel to charge it. Arlo pro 3 floodlight lets you connect using just wifi - I'd use my arlo base station but it won't reach that far and unfortunately arlo doesn't really have an ideal solution, they recommend another base station connected to a powerline adapter however that won't help me much since I need something that can be outdoors.
Why aren't you using cat6?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Figured I would try posting this here.

With all the home schooling shit going on, we've recently run into an issue with our 3 kids screwing around during school time. They all have school issued Chrome books which have some restrictions placed on them by the school, but not nearly enough to keep them from getting distracted, mostly with Youtube.

What I would like to do, if possible, is just completely block Youtube from their Chrome books. I have an Orbi at home, and was wondering if there was a way to restrict specific devices from accessing certain websites. I know I can just block Youtbue across the board in the house, but I watch videos throughout the day and would prefer to just block it on those devices if possible.

So before I went in there and started fucking around with any settings, I wanted to see if anyone here had done anything like that, or would know of an easy way to do it through the Orbi itself.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

With all the home schooling shit going on, we've recently run into an issue with our 3 kids screwing around during school time. They all have school issued Chrome books which have some restrictions placed on them by the school, but not nearly enough to keep them from getting distracted, mostly with Youtube.

What I would like to do, if possible, is just completely block Youtube from their Chrome books. I have an Orbi at home, and was wondering if there was a way to restrict specific devices from accessing certain websites. I know I can just block Youtbue across the board in the house, but I watch videos throughout the day and would prefer to just block it on those devices if possible.

So before I went in there and started fucking around with any settings, I wanted to see if anyone here had done anything like that, or would know of an easy way to do it through the Orbi itself.
Mac address based filtering is a thing. How to do it on an Orbi I don't know.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

I have this same exact fucking problem. My 5yo spent 30 minutes watching someone else open Pokemon TCG booster packs instead of his art class.

The Amplifi doesn't make it easy (or even possible?)... and honestly given some of their classes use youtube I can't figure out a way to block some of the content but not others.

I would guess you make a device group of some sort, and you should be able to block YouTube from those devices. I could do it on the velop but not so much on the Amplifi.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>

Saw a Reddit post saying you block the site, then whitelist IPs that are allowed to bypass the block.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Making firewall rules sounds fairly easy if you just want to block a handful of sites, and doesn't take all that long to learn.

If you want a more robust system, with updated (usualy) blocklists for a slew of sites that should be off limit for kids, you could look into DNS sinkholes like Pi-Hole. It is cheap, and been around for ~15 years, but that also means there could be an easier alternative. People still seem to keep the lists updated though.

It also requires attention, as "innocent" sites will get caught in the middle, and need to be whitelisted. You will need to tell your children that if something the teacher sent out, isn't loading, to check with you. It comes with a web interface where you can see what has been blocked in the last 30 min (among other things).

Nothing is perfect, but at the very least, it adds another layer of parental protection.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Wtf is up with ubiquiti products being out of stock? I need an amplifi hd mesh point and everywhere is cleaned out.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Wtf is up with ubiquiti products being out of stock? I need an amplifi hd mesh point and everywhere is cleaned out.
No scalpers on Amazon marketplace?

edit: Ooof, cheapest there is $280...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So due to having extra stuff at home in order to be able to work from home (despite not being allowed to work from home for 90% of my shifts), I need to get a switch to add more ports for my router. I don't need anything fancy and would like to keep it fairly cheap, but I'd like to avoid getting something that's garbage.

Any suggestions or would any unmanaged switch from the usual brands with 5-10 ports likely get the job done?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Looking for a router I could use as a bridge but has to have a usb port since unifi doesn't do that. Any suggestions? Or a different solution to getting a external 8tb drive plugged in and working

Maybe this?:

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So due to having extra stuff at home in order to be able to work from home (despite not being allowed to work from home for 90% of my shifts), I need to get a switch to add more ports for my router. I don't need anything fancy and would like to keep it fairly cheap, but I'd like to avoid getting something that's garbage.

Any suggestions or would any unmanaged switch from the usual brands with 5-10 ports likely get the job done?
i use the trendnet greennet switches cuz i guess they only power on when a signal is sent. i have two swtiches a 8port and a 24port, i have the 8port plugged into the basement and i had it on a kilowwat for a week and didn't turn on the htpc down there 0watts used, if that matters.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Well, the Amplifi HD is fucking up... it won't daisy-chain properly anymore, not mater what order I reboot shit. So I had to change the frequency for the far-node to 2.4GHz :|
Bunch of support posts about them fixing it eventually, but it's dumb that they use some algorithim to try and get the "best speeds" but it makes the far node unusable in my house.