Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
My only problem with the Amplifi stuff is I can't specify how to daisy chain their mesh nodes. I have to have one down to 2.4Ghz in order for it to connect to the base station because it stopped daisy-chaining when I updated.

Otherwise, it's been amazing.

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
I have COX cable internet and I just got through a situation that caused an extended internet outage. A filter was determined to have been installed on my line, up on the utility pole. The situation was resolved by a technician removing the filter. Everything has seemed OK for about 2 months since that happened. I'm starting to see brief internet outages again, starting last week.

Can anyone take a look at my modem log file and status screen and give an opinion that might help me?

Attachments

• log.txt
    7.5 KB · Views: 5
  • status.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 6

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So my Asus RT-AC66U seems to finally be on it's way out. The 5ghz radio will no longer function regardless of how many times I reset or reflash tie firmware, so it's time to look for a replacement.

All it takes to cover my place is a single good router, so I don't need any mesh systems. Everything important is wired anyway. I was happy with the Asus and figured I might as well grab an ax capable router, so I was looking at this:

Anything else I should be considering? I would prefer not to spend more that that, but will consider it if there's a good reason to.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So my Asus RT-AC66U seems to finally be on it's way out. The 5ghz radio will no longer function regardless of how many times I reset or reflash tie firmware, so it's time to look for a replacement.

All it takes to cover my place is a single good router, so I don't need any mesh systems. Everything important is wired anyway. I was happy with the Asus and figured I might as well grab an ax capable router, so I was looking at this:

Anything else I should be considering? I would prefer not to spend more that that, but will consider it if there's a good reason to.
Ubiquiti amplifi every single time. Think they do run $350 or so. Are you looking for plug and play solution or something you can customize?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Ubiquiti amplifi every single time. Think they do run $350 or so. Are you looking for plug and play solution or something you can customize?

Plug and play for the most part. I rarely need to change things from the default settings. I've got my desktop, NAS, Plex server, and an unmanaged switch plugged in to the router. The switch has my work phone and laptop, consoles and shield tv. Only things on wifi are my phone, surface and a couple nest minis.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Plug and play for the most part. I rarely need to change things from the default settings. I've got my desktop, NAS, Plex server, and an unmanaged switch plugged in to the router. The switch has my work phone and laptop, consoles and shield tv. Only things on wifi are my phone, surface and a couple nest minis.
Dunno man. On one hand your requirements state you don't need mesh which is a huge perk of amplifi. After going through many routers for years I consider amplifi best, best quality, no more router crapping out a year later, mesh is awesome.

Amplifi is $340 but maybe it's worth looking at something cheaper with good quality? If you got money to burn go amplifi. I've been out of the game since switching to amplifi.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. 🤷‍♂️

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I did a trial with Velop, it sucked. I've not been impressed by Orbi or Google Wifi from the experience of friends.

Amplifi is the best out of the box solution, without requiring (or really allowing) any customization.
Ubiquiti if you want to configure and run your own stack.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I did a trial with Velop, it sucked. I've not been impressed by Orbi or Google Wifi from the experience of friends.

Amplifi is the best out of the box solution, without requiring (or really allowing) any customization.
Ubiquiti if you want to configure and run your own stack.
Couldn't agree more. I'd personally pay the premium. Got fed up with having my netgear/whatever router act up then trouble shoot it only to find it shit out 1 year later. I run a full ubiquiti setup now but amplifi before.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Fuck Mesh, they're glorified repeaters. Unless there's some reason it can't be done, go the standard Unifi route with multiple AP's and fast roaming. If you need a router go for a USG.

• 1EyeRoll

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Strange timing. My Amplifi wifi just stopped working tonight. Not sure what is going on as I haven't plugged in to find out but the wifi is totally down, still working as a switch though. Rebooted and did a software update on it and no change.

• 1WTF

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Fuck Mesh, they're glorified repeaters. Unless there's some reason it can't be done, go the standard Unifi route with multiple AP's and fast roaming. If you need a router go for a USG.
Amplifi and Unifi are both by Ubiquiti... You're looking at different classes of gear.

I have no need for mesh or multiple APs. A single router covers my entire apartment.
Amplifi Alien and you can expand should you ever need to. Should be an all-in-one-everything.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Amplifi Alien and you can expand should you ever need to. Should be an all-in-one-everything.

Definitely more than I was looking to spend, but I'll check it out. I have learned hard lessons about going cheap in the past.

Edit: If I didn't bother with AX support, would you guys have any other suggestions? I have no AX devices, I was just thinking about the future.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I have no need for mesh or multiple APs. A single router covers my entire apartment.
I dunno then man. TBH you don't have a ton of requirements which works out well price wise. Why not just buy the cheapest router you can find that has good reviews on quality and meets your speef requirements? That $250 asus one you linked, I'd look for a cheaper option unless there's something specific about it you were eyeing.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Amplifi and Unifi are both by Ubiquiti... You're looking at different classes of gear.

O shit! I forgot about the alien! Denamian Denamian doooo it. I've been curious how it is.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Anyone running a full unifi setup done a site survey and tweaked your system for it? Debating on doing one.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is happening again. According to the wife, it never stopped happening on her iPhone, and I just got the iPhone 12 mini on Friday and it's already happening on mine. Typically noticed in the morning, but I wake up, try to load say this forum, it'll time out. Come back to it 10-15 minutes later, and the page will load. If you want it fixed right away, you have to disconnect and re-connect to the WiFi. Same devices as above. Same routers. I can try forgetting network settings again, and resetting DHCP or something on the router?
I think I narrowed my WiFi problems down to a 24 hour DHCP lease time. Phones and other wireless devices are having a hard time refreshing their DHCP lease. This would explain why if I try to browse or do anything requiring a connection it'll work a few minutes later, or if it'll work immediately after I disconnect and reconnect as it refreshes it's lease right away.

Just set it to a month. Sweet.

• 1Mother of God

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Recently picked up a POE AP, the TP-Link EAP245. Really happy with the speed and range of it, it also supports MESH if I get additional units but don't see a need as is.