RPGs of 2014

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
DA2 was not a good game either, but in most areas it was a vast improvement over Origins.
I'll just pretend this was a troll post. It's the only way my brain can process it.

I don't even know what modern RPGs someone who hated DA:O would even like.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'll just pretend this was a troll post. It's the only way my brain can process it.

I don't even know what modern RPGs someone who hated DA:O would even like.
Demon's Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, Nier, Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect 1-2, Witcher 1 & 2, Divinity 2, Risen, and a bunch of indies like Avadon, Grimrock, etc. JRPGs too I guess, but honestly the only ones I actually liked from the PS3 gen were Resonance of Fate, FF XIII and XIII-2, and Valkyria Chronicles.

I've been waiting the better part of a decade for some overhead camera, party-based games that don't suck ass, so hopefully 2014 lives up to its potential.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
If you like those games, then there's cool game called Dragon Age:Origins you'll probably like, you should check it out.

Caliane

Demon's Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, Nier, Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect 1-2, Witcher 1 & 2, Divinity 2, Risen, and a bunch of indies like Avadon, Grimrock, etc. JRPGs too I guess, but honestly the only ones I actually liked from the PS3 gen were Resonance of Fate, FF XIII and XIII-2, and Valkyria Chronicles.

I've been waiting the better part of a decade for some overhead camera, party-based games that don't suck ass, so hopefully 2014 lives up to its potential.
ok. but are you really saying DA:O isn't a better "game" then divinity 2?
I like Divinity 2 alot. sure. but honestly, its mostly the charm in the writing. the game has character. something DA is of course massively lacking with its boring as hell world building.
Remove the Alistar romance and I am pretty sure even "that" crowd would have been bored to tears with DA.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The Darkspawn were lame, everything else was good. The game was packed with funny dialog.

Then you play some JRPG and it's all ultra serious you are the chosen one to save the earth go forth teenage boy and save us all from the evil western culture that is going to destroy us. Take up your samurai weapons and defeat the spaceships that are armed with fucking laser beams and nuclear bombs while for some fucking reason you are using a goddamn sword. And suddenly DAs story was a goddamn masterpiece.

But I really don't get it. You list Mass Effect and Avadon, but hate DA? That's almost schizophrenic. Unless you were just disappointed that it wasn't BG3, which I totally get.

Vorph

ok. but are you really saying DA:O isn't a better "game" then divinity 2?
DA:O's game mechanics were appalling. Mage spells were either godmode or worthless with almost nothing in between. The 2H tree was boring as hell. And how many months post-release did the dude in charge of game balance flail away at the problem with dex weapons without ever getting it right? I know they still weren't fixed when I gave up on it for the second time.

That's the main thing I feel DA2 fixed. The story was still awful, due to choices being meaningless, the world still not being interesting, Anders being alive, etc. but at least the gameplay was vastly improved. I actually enjoyed playing a warrior with a 2H sword in that one, it was similar to ME2's Vanguard gameplay. At least until the waves of ninja darkspawn started dropping out of the sky or I realized I was in the exact same cave system for the fifth time, anyway.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The "story" of Dragon Age was vastly underwhelming, especially how it all wrapped up. The gameplay, however, was a fairly decent departure from the typical D20 iterations we had been getting.

I still can't get into the Witcher series. I don't know exactly what is is, but despite multiple attempts, the game just won't "hook" me.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
It's fine, I absolutely hated Far Cry 3 and Max Payne 3 and those are like 95/100 games and everyone thinks I'm some kind of space alien for disliking them.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I also don't like either of those games. Opinions doe, how dey werk?
Look how many handicap kids actually enjoy the AC series.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I also throw any game with "roguelike" in the description directly into the trash bin, if I accidentally play one for some reason. Permadeath in a video game is about as appealing to me as going back and playing NES Ninja Gaiden. Fuck you.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Max Payne 3 is crap compared to 2

I think when somebody here says a game X is horrible, they are really saying: "I played the crap out of it, but it sucks"

That's also probably why some of my favorite games are mods - Median XL and Brutal Doom, I liked the original and the mods removed my problems with them.

Vorph

I think when somebody here says a game X is horrible, they are really saying: "I played the crap out of it, but it sucks"
While I admit that sometimes does happen, I'd say there's also an amended version that goes something like, "I played the crap out of it trying to figure out why so many people are raving about this shit, didn't enjoy it at all, and finally decided it really does just suck." For me, this applies to DA:O, as well as every game Bethesda ever made. Admittedly, the fact that Ikeeptrying them every time a new one comes out is on me. Definition of insanity, perhaps?

Your version is more like a game which starts off with a lot of potential but more and more flaws keep appearing as you make your way through it and by the time you get to the end you realize it was fucking terrible. Mass Effect 3, for example.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Mass Effect 3 was probably one of the best games I ever played, they just should have made it end 20 minutes earlier. Shepard dies, credits roll, galaxy purged.

I have to say, now that I have less time to play, I have been more picky with my games in general - if I find myself asking "Why am I playing this?" then it's time to quit. Games with a good story or good gameplay tend to keep that question out of my head. If I try to angrily skip an unskippable cutscene, then that breaks the immersion right there, same goes for obtuse tutorials.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
It's fine, I absolutely hated Far Cry 3 and Max Payne 3 and those are like 95/100 games and everyone thinks I'm some kind of space alien for disliking them.
Far Cry 3 was good because it gave the world Blood Dragon.