Saints Row 5

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I'm guessing PC. But that's just a guess.

Maybe they'll get Sasha Grey to come back and do another voice. Or reprise her role from SR3.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm in as long as I can run around with a bondage gear wearing giant-purple dildo wielding nude-mod enabled naked female character with body sliders set to max again. It is stupid amounts of fun.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
SR2 is still my favorite game of the genre by miles, and at least top 3 of all games. SR3 was a decent game, but a huge disappointment as a follow up to Volition's masterpiece. SR4 I just straight up hated; the writing was so shitty that it was a spoof of the previous games rather than a sequel. Not sure what to think of yet another game in the series. Sure, they could hit the reset button and go back to what made the series great, but I don't have much faith in that happening.

At this point, it was more interesting to hear that they have IdolNinja and one other person working on a patch for SR2 that will finally make it fully compatible with modern Windows PCs, Steamworks integration, and a slew of performance improvements and crash fixes. Also, it will include the DLC that never made it over from consoles.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Well, it's good to know that I'm not alone in liking this series of games. It sure seems like I'm a lone runner when it comes to these games on other boards.

Caliane

they were super popular.
but also a bit of a divided fanbase.
sr2 fans, sr3/4 fans.

sr1/2 while wacky, still were pretty grounded around the premise of the city and gangs.
sr3 said fuck it, the world is silly, and players are like gods running around this sandbox. and amped it up. While setting itself apart from the GTA and other clones. its popularity scyrocketed.
sr4 took it even further. But, also felt unfinished as a game, and concept. cars, etc became meaningless with actual superpowers. the fate of the city meangingless, when its all a simulation..
The studio has foundered since.

I def feel the series is kindof dead. Im not sure how you bring it back after 4. even a reset button as noted, I am not sure will really work..
Then, we have gta RP, and RDR 2... the competition is high, and breaking new ground.

I have low expectations. but wish them well, and hope to be proven wrong.

velk

Trakanon Raider
SR3 is right up there with the most fun I've had playing a game. The ludicrous sense of humor was my kind of humor right from the intro -

'You're robbing a bank, disguised as... yourself ?'

Heh.

SR4 overall was a bit of a letdown, the whacky superpowers from SR3 were great fun, but they needed the contrast with the more grounded nature of the rest of the game I think. The relative degree of normality made stuff like 'A FUCKING TIGER ?!' funnier ;p

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i loved the insanity of 3 and 4. fwiw, 4 was initially meant to be just a dlc but they had a lot of fun creating it so they just kept going with it. it's in a weird place where it's too big to be a dlc, but it's peters out and feels too inconsequential as a full game.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, Enter The Dominatrix or something. They had that battle and the characters explaining it as like a bonus or something. I don't think four was that bad, it's just that you got your powers way too quickly. One thing I didn't like was the main villain -- kind'a fell flat for me.

Other than that, it was good.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
As people as said, superpowers making vehicles a moot point was a big problem

Also my dislike for it was the always night time/simulation world where they even put in the occasional glitch. It just felt like they phoned in world design for that.

But I found it a lot of fun in other ways and I think the humor and insanity was taken even further in a good way, and the music too. How can you not love that this was a song playing while you beat the shit out of aliens:

And fuck it, after watching/listening to that song again. I think I'm watching that Transformers again today.

• 2Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
aerosmith "i don't want to miss a thing" playing as you jump on the missile to disarm it was also pretty great. it was such a "wtf is going on" nonsense moment. i think saints row is at it's best when it satirizes any and every genre that it can

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They correctly recognized that the over the top and goofier tone was what differentiated them from GTA and made them successful so they dove into that for SR3, and while I enjoyed SR4 it did feel like they took it a too far. I'm hoping that the tone of SR5 is somewhere between 2 and 3. Vorph is literally the only person I've ever see say they preferred 2 over 3. And my name is in 2.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Saints Row 2 was better than 3 and worse than 4 imo. I found 3 hadn't quite found it's footing yet, but the superpower shit in 4 really differentiated it and made it fun to explore. Gat out of Hell was an insanely good piece of content too.

joz123

Potato del Grande
They better make another awesome commercial for the new one like they did for 3.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, I mean, meh. I liked SR2, when I finally played it. Of course, by this time, SR3 had been out for some time, and I had to see WTF everybody was talking about with SR2 being better. I think that if they would've had the technology back in the days of SR2 that they had in the days of SR3, it would'a been a totally different game. As it was, SR2 didn't age well, at fucking all. That was the major thing holding it back from really captivating me.

It was still fun, but not the kind'a fun that you play through over and over again.

And plus, this.

• 1Like

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
SR3 was the sweet spot for me.

SR2 was still too GTA-adjacent (which I have no interest in), and SR4 gave terrible early impressions (world being 90% copy/paste from SR3, powers invalidating many of the mechanics, movement speeds that frankly broke the game on consoles, and unfocused satire - in a 20 minute section the game could parody The Matrix, Mass Effect 2 romance missions, Metal Gear Solid, AND SR1/2), even though it had a lot of great stuff in the backhalf (the Gat missions switching to the beat 'em up style out of nowhere still brings a smile to my face).

Frankly, I'd like SR5 just to be SR3 again, but with plotlines that are even more WTF / unpredictable.