Saints Row 5

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Because a group of unemployed interns that look like they can cancel you on Twitter and hangout at Starbucks screams hardcore gang, fuck even the Greasers from Bully were more of a dangerous gang.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I thought that trailer was cringe as shit. But I don’t think I’ve touched the series since SR2
SR3 was super fucking funny if you ask me, and SR4 was weird but also funny.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
SR3-4 were awesome. This looks like dogshit.
Hard pass.
I think SR3 was the pinnacle of the series. 4 was great as long as you look at it as not it's own game, but as an extension of 3. I absolutely loved how little it took it self seriously.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

yeah looks like a fortnite mod than a saints row game. The biggest problem is "the gang" look like youtubers, not gang members.

oh well game releases Feb 22 so not much wait at all, easy enough to wait for real reviews/streams before you buy. I'm expecting something pretty shitty though. Maybe it'll be like Mass Effect, where a year later they'll release SR1-3 remastered legendary edition, that'd be nice at least.

1630185987788.png

That statue in the background, who is that? I'd like to play whatever game that's from.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That statue in the background, who is that? I'd like to play whatever game that's from.
It's the "Saint of All Saints" statue from SR2's hideout. Pretty sure it was in the self-parody abominations that followed too, but I try to cleanse my memory of those games.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is the gang. “We’ve created a set of characters you’d want to invite to your living room every day.”

Uhh.

F8865150-5161-4DD6-8496-1E50B1AD3414.jpeg

• 2Worf
  • 2Smuggly
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1630187017025.png

Oh, I remember this now. What a hot fucking statue.

I feel like you could play as a character similar to this in SR4. Barely remember these games except that I loved them to death. I played SR2, 3, and 4 a bunch of times way back in the day. I tried to get through SR1 but it lost me on some difficult driving mission. SR1 is basically a GTA game, not a lot of the SR craziness there. I've always wanted to try SR1 again if it ever gets a remaster though.

1630187060771.png

That's actually one of the things I always liked about the SR series, you could make some pretty hot female characters. Guessing that won't be a thing in the new one. My enjoyment of a game triples if I'm staring at a hot female bum all game instead of a bloke's bum.

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
Like a lot of people, I thought Saints Row 3 was fantastic and easily the best of the series. I really enjoyed Saints Row 4, too - though the Gat out of Hell expansion for SR4 was a waste of both $20 and four hours of my time.

This, however, looks like Volition asked my 14yr old Zoomer niece for design input on the characters, and then they toned them down because her take was too edgy and controversial. Oh, joy - the default Boss is an Empowered Jogger Wamen now. Thank goodness. Man, I just can't get enough of that hoary old cliche these days; where else could I possibly find a show/game/movie/video/etc. that stars a Strong Black Female protagonist in 21st century America?

On top of that, her sidekicks are a genius negro business nerd, sassy latinx getaway driver who loooves her familia, and a buff and presumably homosexual television chef. Watching that trailer, can you honestly imagine any of these embarrassing characters actually committing crimes (especially with scary guns)? I can't even imagine any of these characters pulling off a simple in-game moment like the one Mist linked above with Pierce and the Boss singing Sublime together; it would come off as incredibly forced and hackneyed.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Well, they did say that you can create a character however you want. Not sure if the sex appeal being maxxed on a female character looks like she has life preservers for tits, though.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
This game feels like an alternate universe where THQ turned into Ubisoft and churned out SR2 sequels every two years.

Maybe I'll be surprised, but this just feels like Watch Dogs 17.

(P.S. Actually, forget giving out SR3 - I am tempted to play SR4 again. Too bad all the great stuff is way after the SR3 rehash.)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think SR3 was the pinnacle of the series. 4 was great as long as you look at it as not it's own game, but as an extension of 3. I absolutely loved how little it took it self seriously.
dude, dubstep gun, like naw dawg it was sr4, just balls to the walls fun

j00t

Like a lot of people, I thought Saints Row 3 was fantastic and easily the best of the series. I really enjoyed Saints Row 4, too - though the Gat out of Hell expansion for SR4 was a waste of both $20 and four hours of my time.

This, however, looks like Volition asked my 14yr old Zoomer niece for design input on the characters, and then they toned them down because her take was too edgy and controversial. Oh, joy - the default Boss is an Empowered Jogger Wamen now. Thank goodness. Man, I just can't get enough of that hoary old cliche these days; where else could I possibly find a show/game/movie/video/etc. that stars a Strong Black Female protagonist in 21st century America?

On top of that, her sidekicks are a genius negro business nerd, sassy latinx getaway driver who loooves her familia, and a buff and presumably homosexual television chef. Watching that trailer, can you honestly imagine any of these embarrassing characters actually committing crimes (especially with scary guns)? I can't even imagine any of these characters pulling off a simple in-game moment like the one Mist linked above with Pierce and the Boss singing Sublime together; it would come off as incredibly forced and hackneyed.
The thing that fundamentally separated saints row from all the chaff wasn't the goofy nature of it all, though that obviously helped. It was the characters driving around singing to the radio. It remains one of the only series where I FULLY believe that those characters just adored each other and it felt like I was actively a part of their friendship.

There were some truly memorable and ludicrous moments in the games... Aerosmith playing as boss jumps onto a rocket, robbing a bank while wearing giant gat bobble heads, Keith David as keith David. But the saints really felt like friends just hanging out and goofing around.

Obviously we have no real context for the new saints but I'm worried that they will all feel like "characters"

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

dude, dubstep gun, like naw dawg it was sr4, just balls to the walls fun
Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed sr4. Dubstep gun was awesome. The problem is that it was designed as a dlc to sr3, but then they had too much content for a dlc so they decided on making it a standalone game, but then they didn't have enough content to justify a full game, so they ended up dragging out a lot of the jokes and by the end of the game it was all pretty old.

There's a ton of great stuff in SR4, but that's why I say it works best as just the second half of sr3. Or maybe even the third act of sr3.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
These woke games are saving me a lot of money.

• 5Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 7 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed sr4. Dubstep gun was awesome. The problem is that it was designed as a dlc to sr3, but then they had too much content for a dlc so they decided on making it a standalone game, but then they didn't have enough content to justify a full game, so they ended up dragging out a lot of the jokes and by the end of the game it was all pretty old.

There's a ton of great stuff in SR4, but that's why I say it works best as just the second half of sr3. Or maybe even the third act of sr3.
SR4 was the only game that really made me feel like I was playing a super hero. I spent hours just scaling buildings and gliding everywhere.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would be cool with a new location, new story, new gangs, maybe a fictional city based on LA or Las Vegas, watch multiplayer gets announced and it'll have battle royale and it'll truely be a Fortnite clone.

j00t

I would be cool with a new location, new story, new gangs, maybe a fictional city based on LA or Las Vegas, watch multiplayer gets announced and it'll have battle royale and it'll truely be a Fortnite clone.
well... you at least got some of your wishes... it'll be in a las vegas type city and there are new gangs... who knows how derivative the story will be... there could be a co-op multiplayer (the others had that)...

saints row is honestly one of my favorite series and knowing what is happening to the industry, i can't help but just be real nervous about sr5. watching that developer video and listening to them talk about things being crazy... i can't explain it, i just have this gut feeling they are specifically talking to the tik-tok crowd. bleh

Caliane

you guys are nuts. SR5 milk crate challenge minigames are going to be great.