Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
NASA already had a engine to replace chemical rockets, even tested it and proved that it worked flawlessly;

NERVA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course in typical government stupidity they just canceled the thing and use inferior equipment.
The reason nerva gets shit on is the same reason its so fucking hard to launch rtgs into space. Attach the word nuclear to shit and people suddenly flip the fuck out and start protesting against you like they were born in San Francisco.

The drawback for nervas is their weight. They aren't efficient enough for small payloads, and all we've ever sent to other planets is small payloads.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Everything I read earlier said that the emdrive is not the insanely amazing thing we think it is.
We really have no idea yet.

I don't think it'll be an insanely amazing thing bringing us hover cars and all kinds of stuff. But it really only needs to provide a small force for the energy input to be dramatically better than ion drives and provide a tremendous amount of utility for space travel.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
We really have no idea yet.

I don't think it'll be an insanely amazing thing bringing us hover cars and all kinds of stuff. But it really only needs to provide a small force for the energy input to be dramatically better than ion drives and provide a tremendous amount of utility for space travel.
Frankly it can beworsethan ion engines and it'll still be worth it simply because you don't have to cart around tanks full of fucking reaction mass for it.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I assume they are testing the living shit out of it and the fact that nothing has been said seems more in line with "holy shit why is this working? Can we scale it up?" Rather than "oops bad sensor, our bad, it really doesn't work".

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Optically Clear Aluminum Provides Bulletproof Protection:
http://www.tssbulletproof.com/optica...of-protection/

scotty-transparent-aluminium.jpg

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I haven't seen that movie.
tongue.png
The original series and its films never resonated with me. I grew up with Picard.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
In that case, welcome to the "Hello Computer!" meme.

It has been with me since I was a child. I cannot shed it.

To this day I still hold odd malfunctioning electronic equipment up to my mouth and say "Hello Computer!".... sometimes. People look at me funny. Welcome to your future.

iannis

Musty Nester
lol. I do that shit too. I'll pick up the mouse. "Computer. Computer?" And then just look at the young girl staring at me like, "can you turn this thing on?"

iannis

Musty Nester
At first you're bummed out that they don't understand. But then you come to realize that makes it even funnier.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Research Blog: Inceptionism: Going Deeper into Neural Networks

Really cool article, basically google trained a simple neural network to identify images. But they wanted to know what the neural network was actually recognizing as the object. So they initially gave it a blank canvas and asked it to fill it with what it thought a dumbbell was, and it produced some images. Then they took other images unrelated to what it was trained to see, and told it to find those things in the images and those trippy pictures are what it's producing as output. It produces some really mind bending art.
its crazy how psychedelic those images are. i'd even go so far as to say that those feedback loops they're making are decent models of what is going on inside the human brain while on psychedelics.

image-dream-map.png

craziness
the internet agrees with me, apparentlyWhy Google's Neural Networks Look Like They're on Acid | Motherboard

also, here's a place where you can feed your own images into the google neural network:Deep Dreamed pic

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I haven't seen that movie.
tongue.png
The original series and its films never resonated with me. I grew up with Picard.
Yeah, best part about that scene is they actually call it transparent aluminum. (Seriously though, watch Star Trek 2 and 4 and 6 at least, they are all really good even if you only really liked Next Gen. I'd watch 3 too, just to get the whole story, but 2/4/6 are just very good films. Four is probably my favorite because it is full of funny scenes like the above.)

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
A fusion-fission jet... but only on paper. If anything like this ever gets built, good luck finding two civilian airports (or even one airport) that will take a fusion-powered plane with uranium-lined engines.

Boeing patents laser-powered fusion-fission jet engine for airplanes, spacecraft | Ars Technica UK
How did this patent get granted? Some of the technologies in there are barely poking out of the Theoretical phase and they are maybe 50-100 years away from practice.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
How did this patent get granted? Some of the technologies in there are barely poking out of the Theoretical phase and they are maybe 50-100 years away from practice.
Patents are really only technical at the system level so it's harder for someone to come along and improve it with simple changes and steal it. For instance Apple patenting the rounded corner somehow.

iannis

Musty Nester
At this point a patent seems like nothing more than a bribe to the edifice of the patent office. There's not much credibility in any of it. It's just simple graft.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Stupid to get it granted even if valid, it'll be expired before anybody tries to compete with you
smile.png