Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Some of it doesn't even make sense, this thing will need to be Heat shielded, radiation shielded, resistant to vibration and wear, it just seems like a single engine would weight allot and you need likely 2 of them to make decent plane.
Wouldn't having a single nuclear reactor providing electricity to a couple of engines be more efficient?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Good question, I'm sure there's a nuclear laser rocket engineer here somewhere that can answer that.... furry?

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Some of it doesn't even make sense, this thing will need to be Heat shielded, radiation shielded, resistant to vibration and wear, it just seems like a single engine would weight allot and you need likely 2 of them to make decent plane.
Wouldn't having a single nuclear reactor providing electricity to a couple of engines be more efficient?
Yes, it was going to be called the B-72 although it would have had one (fission) reactor per jet engine. After spending a billion dollars on it in 1950's money, the US cancelled the project because ICBMs were cheaper.

khorum

Murder Apologist
There was a couple mods for a laser engines in KSP actually. Never tried them tho. There's actually a NERVA engine mod by some NASA guy and the VASIMR engine mod is by one of the Ad Astra folks too.

The VASIMR is actually modelled realistically.... so unless you can get a 300MW nuclear reactor into orbit you're limited to 5 second bursts haha:

You pretty much need to assemble a Duna project in orbit over multiple missions so it actually makes sense to get the reactors up there first. Plus unless you're just doing a flyby you also would want to preposition the Duna habitat and return vehicle on the target site before the main mission and a reactor is the best deal for that too.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I was gonna pull the trigger on one of theseEnChroma | Color For The Color Blind(colorblind eyeglasses)

but when i started to read more about it, it only works outside and all it really does is intensify colors, basically it's a photoshop color slider. I'm not in a real rush i'm only red/green colorblind and i guess i'll just wait for the technology to mature instead of just intensifying existing colors to actually make them appear, basically i want my first time seeing red to blow me away, and not in the way that the really fake youtubes are showing w/ the overacting.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I was gonna pull the trigger on one of theseEnChroma | Color For The Color Blind(colorblind eyeglasses)

but when i started to read more about it, it only works outside and all it really does is intensify colors, basically it's a photoshop color slider. I'm not in a real rush i'm only red/green colorblind and i guess i'll just wait for the technology to mature instead of just intensifying existing colors to actually make them appear, basically i want my first time seeing red to blow me away, and not in the way that the really fake youtubes are showing w/ the overacting.
Don't you see both red and green as basically the same color? What if you've been seeing red the entire time?

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Here is a great article on CRISPR gene editing and the possible implications. For anyone who doesn't know CRISPR is technique that allows for very precise gene editing, and it can be done very very cheaply. A lot of basic research on what genes do involves knocking them out of a species and see what happens when it matures. Previously it might take a lot of attempts (time) to get the gene you wanted to test to actually be knocked out, with this technique you can do it perfectly the first time.

5-10 years from now it might not be uncommon to see regular people doing gene splicing at home like people do hobby programming today. Scientists just need to be out in front of this so we have the tools to deal with potential fall out from editing gone awry.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/crispr-dna-editing-2/

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Here is a great article on CRISPR gene editing and the possible implications. For anyone who doesn't know CRISPR is technique that allows for very precise gene editing, and it can be done very very cheaply. A lot of basic research on what genes do involves knocking them out of a species and see what happens when it matures. Previously it might take a lot of attempts (time) to get the gene you wanted to test to actually be knocked out, with this technique you can do it perfectly the first time.

5-10 years from now it might not be uncommon to see regular people doing gene splicing at home like people do hobby programming today. Scientists just need to be out in front of this so we have the tools to deal with potential fall out from editing gone awry.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/crispr-dna-editing-2/
If this works like the article is saying, shit is going to get real. Stoked

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Awww yeah, gonna turn on my telomorase so I can live forever. Nothing bad can come of this.
After an appropriate amount of human testing in china I expect nice things will come our way
smile.png

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
After an appropriate amount of human testing in china I expect nice things will come our way
smile.png
Actually there was a pretty big uproar when some Chinese scientists were using embryos to modify (With CRISPR) them to remove disease. To get around the "moral" ramifications they were using embryos that weren't feasible and if it makes anybody feel better they failed. They managed to remove the disease, but the technique caused other genes to be modified which means we've got a ways to go before we can start editing out diseases in embryos.

Chinese scientists genetically modify human embryos : Nature News Comment

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Actually there was a pretty big uproar when some Chinese scientists were using embryos to modify them to remove disease. To get around the "moral" ramifications they were using embryos that weren't feasible and if it makes anybody feel better they failed. They managed to remove the disease, but the technique caused other genes to be modified which means we've got a ways to go before we can start editing out diseases in embryos.

Chinese scientists genetically modify human embryos : Nature News Comment
Yea I remember the retard brigade on the forum was up in arms about it. Didn't realize they were using the CRISPR method. The method must be pretty damn good for people to already be trying it, even on non-viable embryos.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah the CRISPR-Cas9 method was what they were using to edit the embryos in China. Thought you realized that already Cad. Was going to say something about it.

The technique is revolutionary, but it'll be a long time before its perfected, and in part because the cocktail of enzymes used has to be specially designed for each target, and still has a high rate of failure. Its just more precise than previous methods, its not some panacea that perfectly inserts genes exactly where you want them to go every time all the time.

Gonna need some pretty precise nanomachines for that. So long as we're relying on pure chemistry to do the job, there will always be some errors inherent in the process.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Don't you see both red and green as basically the same color? What if you've been seeing red the entire time?
no, for red/green colorblind, you can tell red or green fine, alone. If you put them side by side or they're kinda ambiguous in color, at that point it's a crap shoot. I like to explain it in shapes, lets say that red is an octagon, and green is a circle. You can clearly tell an octagon from a circle 100% of the time, even if you put them side by side, it's even more apparent. But if you're red/green colorblind, all of a sudden, it's like they have a "blur" filter applied to them, and you really can't tell straight lines of the octagon anymore or if the round circle suddenly got a few jaggies on the side. Then you stop and think, and look around the shapes with hesitation. Non colorblind ppl never have this hesitation, they always see octagon/circle "thinking" about what color it is never even happens.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Crispr is a really unfortunate name for a genetics modifyi g technique. "Hey wouldnt you like to put your unborn kid through our crispr system?"

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Can I genetically engineer my children to have potato-chip crumble breading?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
You can modify your germline so that offspring are only capable of having males. Hopefully everyone in china does this and they all slowly die out.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
be a long time before its perfected, and in part because the cocktail of enzymes used has to be specially designed for each target, and still has a high rate of failure. Its just more precise than previous methods, its not some panacea that perfectly inserts genes exactly where you want them to go every time all the time.

Gonna need some pretty precise nanomachines for that. So long as we're relying on pure chemistry to do the job, there will always be some errors inherent in the process.
Why can't chemistry be consistent?