Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I love it when the guy named troll starts out with the line "So if you knew anything about particle physics"

lol

This board is a crack up

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
History in the making, you get to see some excited fuckin nerds. 11 Satellites, Stage 1 Recovery.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That's a lot more impressive watching than reading the news article. It's like 1950s sci-fi is finally a reality!

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
Congrats to spacex, that is a huge accomplishment. Does the video suck ass for anyone else? Audio doesnt match, it jumps all around.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
HahahahHuman drivers are bumping into driverless cars and exposing a key flaw

It's similar to the thorny ethical issues driverless car creators are wrestling with over how to program them to make life-or-death decisions in an accident. For example, should an autonomous vehicle sacrifice its occupant by swerving off a cliff to avoid killing a school bus full of children?
Hahahhaha

Gee wiz, robotics and AI isn't so simple is it?

khorum

Murder Apologist
That's not complicated at all. Would YOU buy a car that would drive you off a cliff to save a bus that may or may not be full of children?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would totally buy a car that is capable of taking on a bus and winning, but wussy AI should be optional either way.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I hope the piece of shit prosecutors who bring those type of cases to trial get liver cancer.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
HahahahHuman drivers are bumping into driverless cars and exposing a key flaw

Hahahhaha

Gee wiz, robotics and AI isn't so simple is it?
Nobody thought it would be simple. Google is trying to solve the whole shebang in one go, but most OEMs and tier1s are trying to just solve cruising on freeways. Tesla already rolled out their super-cruise system. Here's one preventing a really bad accident:

For a human driver this is a really bad corner case, because it's hard to see the vehicle through the head lights.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea, I mean I basically ended up with ACC and it's pretty handy, especially the crash avoidance features. It won't swerve because it's not full autopilot even though it does have lane-keeping so it technically could.

That said I have to chuckle when they're so full of themselves they're thinking about whether to sacrifice the consumer to save kids literally, lol.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
If they program shit to kill the driver to save kids, you can bet your ass I'm not gonna use it. Fuck those kids and the buses they rode in on.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah that's pretty much the best way to kill self-driving consumer vehicles.

If it ever comes out that the AI was designed to choose for "the greater good" over the life of its owner, that whole industry will never get beyond self-driving delivery trucks and into the consumer market.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You guys are getting wrapped up in some very specific corner cases.

I know in my driver's ed the mitigation strategy to avoid nearly all collisions is to slam on your brakes. I imagine that's the planned directive for almost all crash-related scenarios.

I've personally avoided some nasty collisions through swerving, but the good thing about slamming on your brakes is that you really can't be blamed for your choice to slam vs swerve. But if you swerve, disaster can happen in unexpected ways.

And I say this as someone who has spent the last few years researching autonomous collision avoidance. There are some very cool things one can do to avoid collisions, but I'm betting this first generation of autonomous consumer vehicles will just detect an impending collision and slam the brakes.