Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
rrr_img_126236.png

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
in b4 Furry claims it's all BS, he doesn't even need to read about it, and he knows more than all scientists including Hawking and Einstein.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
in b4 Furry claims it's all BS, he doesn't even need to read about it, and he knows more than all scientists including Hawking and Einstein.
Or it's a global conspiracy of physicists to get grant money to study their BS gravity waves that don't exist and are a liberal invention and go against God.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So are there any immediate discoveries or new science expected to come from this? Or is it a matter of waiting for new detectors with better sensitivity being built before we start seeing new things? Near as I can tell this is definitely a big discovery, but for the most part it's just confirming theories that are 50-100 years old. Are there any other immediate implications?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Well if sci-fi has taught me anything, I'm sure they'll figure out a way to use this knowledge to blow things up in fantastic new ways.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
We can watch reruns of old shit blowing up.

C'mon son. Crack a beer and let's watch m49 wipe out the mutha fuckin Andromeda cluster clean of life 4 billion years ago.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I eagerly await the next piece of science that is widely accepted as true/real but not yet able to be detected/verified with experiments today that he will claim is complete bullshit only for it to be proven with experiments within a year.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I eagerly await the next piece of science that is widely accepted as true/real but not yet able to be detected/verified with experiments today that he will claim is complete bullshit only for it to be proven with experiments within a year.
Five months! Less than that, because it was the end of September when I showed him this new LIGO program had only started 12 days earlier and the former head of the project at that time was quoted as saying the waves would be detected within five years.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Or it's a global conspiracy of physicists to get grant money to study their BS gravity waves that don't exist and are a liberal invention and go against God.
In a similar vein. Some years ago at university I gave this grad student I was fucking shit about how awesome her scam of a research grant was. As they argued how they had to study stalagmites for climate research. But these stalagmites had to be in a cave on an island called Mallorca in Spain. And it had to be for the whole summer. You know, for the betterment of mankind.

There was a ton of this kind of shit going on and I commended them on their ability to play the game with the NSF. Political hot topic? Get research grant and research some shit in some awesome location. Quite brilliant really. But I was honestly surprised how many of them were total koolaid drinkers over it and truly thought it was for the betterment of mankind...

Neph_sl

shitlord
Another great background vid (from October just after LIGO restarted in September) on gravitational waves and LIGO from PBS Space Time. Speculations abound at the end of the 1st video.

The 2nd video was posted today as an update and also talks about "what can we do with this discovery?" (5:30 min). TLDW: he postulates observing events from different sites (Chandra X-Ray, Hubble, LIGO, Very Large Array) to better understand black holes and space time warping. Also, LIGO detecting gravitational waves ushers in observations for other phenomena other than big events like merging black holes.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah, gravitational waves have been assumed by pretty much all legitimate scientists to exist for the last 100 years. What this does is gives us a new way of studying other phenomena that's more exotic and not fully understood.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, gravitational waves have been assumed by pretty much all legitimate scientists to exist for the last 100 years. What this does is gives us a new way of studying other phenomena that's more exotic and not fully understood.
And, now that we know we can detect them for a certain type of event and what the magnitude looks like, presumably we can attempt to measure them for other events and draw conclusions from the absence or presence and magnitude of those gravity waves.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Detection of a force is the first step towards manipulation.

Not sure if this qualifies as detection, but it is direct observation?

Curious how much more sensitive LIGO would have to be too detect events that occur more regularly than black hole collisions.

It's interesting as hell.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This is why i dont believed that haeking is really handicapped. This post is vidence he can suck his own dick.
At first read I had similar reaction, like man he is tooting his own horn a lot...but really it has to be gratifying to survive long enough for the technology to develop enough to confirm theories and predictions he made so long ago.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yeah he wasn't being obtuse for sure. I thought it was pretty funny.

Edit^. No. He was basically saying thanks captain obvious for proving the hard work we all did by waiting for technology to catch up.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
This is why i dont believed that haeking is really handicapped. This post is vidence he can suck his own dick.
I didn't really read it that way. He said they predicted the existence of gravity waves. This technology to confirm it has been long awaited. If Einstein were still alive he'd be saying the same thing, thank you technology for confirming this wild shit we theorized way back when.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I didn't really read it that way. He said they predicted the existence of gravity waves. This technology to confirm it has been long awaited. If Einstein were still alive he'd be saying the same thing, thank you technology for confirming this wild shit we theorized way back when.
Einstein especially probably realized he lived in an era where he probably would never see confirmation of many of his theories.