Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
And of course, Tennessee would be the place to figure that out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
It's a DOE project, so technically, YOU funded it!
What? No. The NLs are "owned" by DoE and often have a contractor who "runs" them, like Battelle. Researchers and divisions at these labs often do RDT&E work for DoD, DHS, DoE, etc...meaning they get MIPR money from another government entity. I was asking who eas the sponsor for example if say DHS HSARPA was funding it.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Yeah Sentagur, you got me right. You said it right. We can not just plug a plant into a wall. I see what Tuco's getting at, but it subverts the process of photosynthesis, the first part of which is 'photo'.

Photons are needed, not just electrons. An electron is a wonderful thing that carries electromagnetic energy, but it is not the only thing. Earthly chemistry requires that a photon hit it, in the finale, in order to complete the act that ends in a sugar molecule. And without sugar we have, like Zy said, prokaryotes and eukaryotes. Life? Yes. Sentient mammals that can ask questions about plugging plants into walls? No way. Not without the mass production of sugar that is beaming at us from the sky in the form of photons.

Good question by the way Tuco. Honestly. Well done. Made me think about how you were wrong but it was fun to think the process through! But as a biology sort of guy, I don't think what you are suggesting is a way to keep a plant alive.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
All the curious non bio majors should go to their local used book store and pick up a used Campbell Biology textbook. Great illustrations in easy to understand language.

Start off with cellular respiration, aerobic and anaerobic and then go mosey on into photosynthesis. It will give you a great foundational understanding of how life goes from CO2, O2, and sunlight to complex organisms. After that check out action potentials and learn how our nerve impulses are governed by electrochemical gradients and aren't simply electron movement in the way that we normally envision.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
What i am interested in right now is all the ways molecular geometry(of a substance) can act as a catalyst to chemical reactions.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
All the curious non bio majors should go to their local used book store and pick up a used Campbell Biology textbook. Great illustrations in easy to understand language.

Start off with cellular respiration, aerobic and anaerobic and then go mosey on into photosynthesis. It will give you a great foundational understanding of how life goes from CO2, O2, and sunlight to complex organisms. After that check out action potentials and learn how our nerve impulses are governed by electrochemical gradients and aren't simply electron movement in the way that we normally envision.
Ca++ always be fucking shit up.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>

time-to-fap_fb_166015.jpg

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
What i am interested in right now is all the ways molecular geometry(of a substance) can act as a catalyst to chemical reactions.

If you have a basic understanding of chemistry then go down the protein folding rabbit hole. Just about everything going on inside your body is regulated by the shapes of a bunch of proteins and how they fit together (or don't). CRISPR gets all the big headlines these days but our ability to accurately model proteins composed of hundreds, sometimes thousands of amino acids has been a real game changer and will continue to be at the forefront of biochemical research.