Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You realize they are just reporting on this paper published in Nature?

Global warming transforms coral reef assemblages | Nature

I'm not going to pay to read it but just look at the Atlantic's headline vs the title of the paper.

Either way, here's a post stolen from reddit that goes into it a little:

Just chiming in as a coral scientist, because these threads always make my head hurt:

1. Ocean acidity isn't a problem for corals, at all. It will become a problem for coral growth rates decades from now but it's not even clear whether it will have a negative impact on bleaching or subsequent mortality (some studies have actually shown that increased acidity reduces bleaching susceptibility). OA is not the most urgent or actionable threat to coral reefs.
  2. One half of corals on the GBR didn't die. One third did. Edit: the article quotes Dr Hughes as saying half. It’s been a common misquote where scientists say half of the northern GBR died and popular article say half the reef is dead, and the nature study this article is based on didn’t quantify that. But I didn’t see that quote - if that’s not a misquote then it’s right, Dr Hughes would know.
  3. Local impacts like sunscreen, fertilizer runoff, dredging, overfishing, and on and on can all devastate reefs - and they're far more manageable than global processes like climate change. They should not be ignored because 'the corals are all going to die anyway', as these gloom and doom popular articles imply.
  4. The GBR didn't actually bleach because of climate change either. Climate change MAY have exacerbated it, but we don't know that yet. The high temperatures were caused by a severe El Nino that scientists had been predicting for years. It was the worst event since 1998, when similar bleaching and mortality was seen in the Indo-Pacific. Those reefs subsequently recovered. The question now is whether the slowly creeping baseline temperatures will effect which species of corals may recover in Australia and how fast.
Edit2: just want to re-iterate my analogy on the El Nino point - it is like a cancer patient being hit by a bus. We can say the cancer patient may have had slower reflexes or may have been weakened to the impact, but the patient was still killed by a bus. The El Nino causality is that clear - and we'd known it was coming for many years, it was not unexpected.

And that's not to minimize the problem of climate change, which is certainly responsible for the 3rd NOAA-declared Global Bleaching Event.

But it's important that people not think that climate change has already killed half the GBR because ANYONE would expect that if that's the case, then we are about to imminently lose the rest in the next few summers. And that's not the case. That El Nino event was historically bad, but there's still much we can do to help the GBR as it recovers in the next few years.

The 50% quote is supposedly from some Dr. but has no thing to do with the original nature paper that atlanta used to fear monger.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Going to be fine from the global warming bullshit. (Remember how CA rejected the lawsuit against big oil for hiding climate change? Fucking CO just started a similiar lawsuit. FFS I gotta get out)

But that #3, is bigly. And unfortunately some of the best reefs with the best things for collecting are in shitholes that won't ever stop. Sunscreen is problematic because very low amounts basically kill coral spores when propagating that way, leaving them to rely more on just physically growing/spreading which is not very effective.

For aquarists, hawaii is fucking with major supplies of common fish and coral with collection bans theyve been enacting. (And is frustrating because you'll have out of known takes of fish, aquarium industry might say take 10% or something pretty small, meanwhile certain forms of commercial fishing are allowed whether target species directly or ending with by catch. Then there are rules for essentially just regular fishing for consumption etc that is unlimited. Always triggering watching retards catching a wheelbarrow full of $100-500 a piece fish...

• 1Like

Cybsled

Interesting discovery about Lichens (although from a couple years ago). They may actually be 3 different organisms living in symbiosis rather than just 2 (2 dif types of fungi and algae vs. a 1:1 combo of fungi+algae). They think this explains why they have never been able to grow a lichen in a lab, because they were missing that 2nd fungi species.

How a Guy From a Montana Trailer Park Overturned 150 Years of Biology

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Cybsled

This is interesting. Childhood leukemia may be in part due to insufficient microbial diversity in children. Honestly, a lot of the current work on the human microbe biome is super facinating. They are starting to better understand how microbes not only can cause or prevent certain types of diseases, but it can even effect things like weight gain.

Missing microbes 'cause' childhood cancer

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Couldn't that still have applications for satellites in Earth's orbit, though? Rather than chemical thrusters, you could use this interaction to help maintain orbits

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Couldn't that still have applications for satellites in Earth's orbit, though? Rather than chemical thrusters, you could use this interaction to help maintain orbits
Its possible but the tech would need to improve by allot to be useful for that, it was barely detectable in the labs and wouldnt the magnetic field be weaker in orbit meaning it would generate even less thrust up there.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Probably not.

The going theory for how a force could be barely perceptible in labs could be used for something useful was that once we understood the physics behind it, we could harness it. Like the different between the monkeys banging rocks together to make sparks and gasoline engine. Some crazy unknown force we were tapping into, like inter-dimensional gravity or magic unicorns, might be extremely powerful or something.

But if the force is just some magnetic bullshit with our earth's magnetic field, there's not much there. Unless I'm wrong it'd be like making a satellite into being powered by a magnetic compass, which is ridiculous.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Its possible but the tech would need to improve by allot to be useful for that, it was barely detectable in the labs and wouldnt the magnetic field be weaker in orbit meaning it would generate even less thrust up there.
There's a lot of research and development for this, but mostly on the deorbiting stages. Every modern sat is required to provide a deorbit method so that it burn in the atmosphere instead of fragmenting and increasing orbital fragment space. It turns out that having a deorbit system using magnetic interactions rather than a - possibly exhausted - store of fuel is much, much better.

Most of the systems, however, use the vastly simpler and more efficient tentpole design: throw a long conducting cable, use the electric drag.

• 1Like

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
"charging" a nokia phone at 1 million volts
Those freaking things were indestructible, still have my 3310 around here somewhere and I bet if i charged it, it would still work!
I wish they would make it again just capable of connecting to new networks, that new one they attempted last year is just too round for my taste.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"charging" a nokia phone at 1 million volts

Hmm. This is a little off topic, but often times advertisements derive from websites that we have visited in the past. How old are you Tuco? I know you have been around a while but that long?

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Are there really free nude grannys at grannysluts.com?

• 2Worf

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Hmm. This is a little off topic, but often times advertisements derive from websites that we have visited in the past. How old are you Tuco? I know you have been around a while but that long?
That imgur link is a spam repost of the original just to add the link. It's probably not going to live very long on imgur...

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Huh? I see girlswholikeguyswithmassivecocks.com, why do you see grannny stuff?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf