Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
I can't wait until Elon Stark unveils his Mark IV suit.:emoji_joy:

Oh, and it not just the weapons program... work on building SWORD continues, as well:

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
Single trapped atom captures Science Photography Competition's top prize - EPSRC website

A7639384-2B5F-4294-B3529347D576CD4E_featuretwocolumnwide.jpg

blown up, the atom is the little dot in the middle (technically the light its reflecting). While the size of the space could hold billions of atoms apparently the technique they use reduces it down to 1 atom or something, I dunno I'm no scientist:

1518665664142.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's a lot of "science" youtubers around, but this guy is my favorite.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
Thinking about space always gives me a feeling of, well I wouldn't say its exactly dread--but its close. When you grasp that there are billions of stars in JUST this Galaxy, and the Galaxy itself is only one of billions..I mean, fully digesting what a "Super cluster is", can tighten my stomach.

Nearsc.gif

Those aren't made up of stars....they are made up of whole galaxies, billions of stars each. And to think--I don't think most people, myself included, can fully grasp how large just the sun is...Its one of those chill up your back moments when you let your mind go on it. (Especially those voids, those voids freak me out even knowing most disturbed matter with attractive equalities ends up with the same kind of clumping effect.)

Inspired by @Lithose post about the scale of the universe, I thought I would share a video about scale in the other direction for living organisms. It is an interesting watch, except for staphylococcus, which can eat a dick for taking my father from me this weekend.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users