Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Just read a big article in the New Yorker about this.

The Day the Dinosaurs Died

This ranch is ~80 miles from mine. They find dinosaurs north, south, east, and west of me. I really need to find one on my place but I have no clue how to find any fossils except for petrified wood. I've probably been chucking tyrannosaurus teeth at bull's heads and shit.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Liquid blood found inside a prehistoric 42,000 year old foal

Semyon Grigoryev, head of the Mammoth Museum in Yakutsk, said today: ‘The autopsy shows beautifully preserved internal organs.
‘Samples of liquid blood were taken from heart vessels - it was preserved in the liquid state for 42,000 years thanks to favorable burial conditions and permafrost.
‘The muscle tissues preserved their natural reddish color.
‘We can now claim that this is the best-preserved Ice Age animal ever found in the world.’
Dr. Grigoryev revealed in an interview with TASS that the foal is in an exceptional condition without any visible damage.
‘This is extremely rare for paleontological finds, because some of them are either incomplete, fragmented, with serious body deformations or strongly mummified,’ said the expert.
‘The foal’s hair is intact on its head, legs, and part of its body.
‘Its tail and mane are black, the rest of the foal’s body is bay.
‘Having preserved hair is another scientific sensation as all previous ancient horses were found without hair.’

2.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Dark Matter Detector Makes Incredible Neutrino Observation

Two-neutrino double electron capture is an exceedingly rare particle interaction that was first theorized in 1955 and “has escaped detection for decades,” according to the paperpublished in Nature. In the process, two protons in the atomic nucleus spontaneously and simultaneously absorb a pair of electrons orbiting the nucleus, releasing a pair of neutrinos. The experimental signature of the event is a barrage of x-rays and electrons resulting from other electrons orbiting the atom replacing the two absorbed by the nucleus. And when I say rare, I mean rare. The average amount of time it would take half of the xenon atoms in a sample to undergo this reaction is 1.8 × 1022years, according to the paper. That’s roughly a trillion times the age of the Universe.

After 214 days of observing (177 days of usable data), the researchers’ analysis revealed approximately 126 two-neutrino double electron capture events.

This is an incredible scientific accomplishment. “It’s the longest half-life ever measured directly,” Ph.D student Chiara Capelli from the University of Zurich who works on XENON told Gizmodo

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My wife and I went to Ikea for the first time about a month ago. Maybe if we were shopping for something that we actually needed I would feel different, but I found the store layout obnoxious. I also quickly noted there wasn't a single guy there by himself.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Something about their stats doesn't add up (or I am misunderstanding the experiment).

And when I say rare, I mean rare. The average amount of time it would take half of the xenon atoms in a sample to undergo this reaction is 1.8 × 1022years, according to the paper. That’s roughly a trillion times the age of the Universe.

After 214 days of observing (177 days of usable data), the researchers’ analysis revealed approximately 126 two-neutrino double electron capture events.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
They used 3.2 TONS of xenon in the sample. 126 atoms in a sample size that big undergoing the reaction adds up just fine.

A·vo·ga·dro's num·ber
noun
CHEMISTRY
  1. the number of atoms or molecules in one mole of a substance, equal to 6.023 × 10^23.
*One mole of Xe = 131g

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This popped up on my recommended list today, it's a lecture about supervolcanoes in the pacific northwest. Didn't know this series before but I ended up watching the whole thing, it's really interesting and well presented. Might be of interest to some people here.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Doing anything as a kid has rewired your brain whether it's sports, gaming, watching TV or skateboarding.

But I do think that hardcore gamers have brains that feed on efficiency, game mechanics and reward loops more than just about anyone.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users