Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

"The spikes in mine are significantly bigger, and, in my opinion, more impressive."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>

can't really wrap my head around this stuff
This helps.

giphy (12).gif

• 1Barf

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
I tried to make something like that for a science fair in like 3rd grade. Turns out I did not understand how magnets work, and it totally failed.

Rime

<Donor>
Anything by eXurb1a is great. Even his unrelated science fiction books.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

a wizard?

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Some of us have issues. We actually enjoy it when our brain hurts. And what makes *everyones* brain hurt? Why, quantum mechanics of course.

Good op-ed by Sean Carroll, who os pretty good at speaking science to us newbs:

past a certain level of detail, what does it mean to "understand" something? perhaps the reason that no one is able to give good explanations about some of these things is because the basic vocabulary being used is already the maximum level of detail CAPABLE of being used to describe the phenomena?

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
It gets into why versus how. Engineering versus theory. That distinction gets blurred so much it's not entirely clear there is a distinction. It's what Feynman meant when he said, "that is so confusing that I'm not sure it's even a problem" about some experimental result he was confronted with.

He talked at length on the subject in one of his more recent mindscapes. Basically in the early 20th they all realized it was an open question and agreed to table it for a generation and focus on practical application.

"Practical" meaning something a,little different for a theoretical physicist.

I suspect, but do not know, they were hoping that further discoveries would answer the question indirectly. It has not yet bourne out.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>