Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Needs to be spray foam. When dry that stuff is pretty damn hard. Also would allow for quick facing to make it flat and easy to drill into to run plumbing and electrical through. Print and then anchor it. Or print and move it then anchor it. Also guessing it would be like having a lot of insulation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The walls are no big deal to get past, at least inside. Just account for adding drywall or a similar covering.
Is adding drywall to concrete not a pita?

The idea is cool, I just don’t think it’ll ever take off unless we can come up with some kind of better material than concrete. Needs to be a dual head printer that fuses outer concrete with inner softer shit that’s not radioactive, can easily drill into for running wires and plumbing, hanging pictures, etc.

Also, are there no Radon concerns? I have a Radon vent and only my basement is concrete. Living inside a radioactive cube seems unhealthy.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is adding drywall to concrete not a pita?

The idea is cool, I just don’t think it’ll ever take off unless we can come up with some kind of better material than concrete. Needs to be a dual head printer that fuses outer concrete with inner softer shit that’s not radioactive, can easily drill into for running wires and plumbing, hanging pictures, etc.

Also, are there no Radon concerns? I have a Radon vent and only my basement is concrete. Living inside a radioactive cube seems unhealthy.
If it ends up being significantly cheaper than current construction to produce, the stuff we are talking about can all be resolved. If it isn't significantly cheaper, than its nothing more than a "cool idea". It is definitely faster, which is important, but its gotta be cheaper.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Im questioning how much faster it really is.

In the demo video (which I only skimmed because fuck videos) it looked like they built a small structure without any of the finishing work. No plumbing, no electrical, no hardware.

To just frame and side a structure that size? I bet you can hire one competent contractor and a team of Mexicans and get it done with standard methods in similar time. And be left with a structure that would be a whole lot easier to finish.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

In the demo video (which I only skimmed because fuck videos) it looked like they built a small structure without any of the finishing work. No plumbing, no electrical, no hardware.

To just frame and side a structure that size? I bet you can hire one competent contractor and a team of Mexicans and get it done with standard methods in similar time. And be left with a structure that would be a whole lot easier to finish.
The original article said they built the house of 5 days (printer running 24/7). They dont specific but I assumed that was the structure itself and then it still needed the piping and finishing etc.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The original article said they built the house of 5 days (printer running 24/7). They dont specific but I assumed that was the structure itself and then it still needed the piping and finishing etc.
That seems slower than current build times. Watching a new housing addition go up behind us. They pour the basement in a few hours. Prefab frame arrives the next week and it is fully framed and has a roof on day two. Idk how much time it takes to fab the frame and load it but I’d liken that to bringing the printer and assembling it, etc.

When they were building our next door neighbors I watched one guy with a small crane do the entire first floor beams by himself in a day. Next day the entire crew showed up and they had the roof on day one, guessing because of that dudes prework the previous day. These are 2 story, full basement 3k+ sq foot homes too, compared to those one story small printed houses.

I know the 3D printing can only get faster and cheaper but it doesn’t seem close yet. Like mentioned earlier, we don’t really know the true cost yet because it’s so early and specialized still.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it's hard to really discuss the viability of the approach without knowing how extensible certain aspects are. Are there any significant impediments to dramatically increasing the print speed, or having people place plumbing electrical in as its being laid down? Can the mechatronic gantry being used to print it be reduced to something that doesn't require a flat landscape? ex a cement truck boom? Is the tensile strength of the materials used enough to be used in a variety of ways? If these things are answered in a positive way it could be great in the future.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Pretty crazy numbers they are putting up.

• 1Dislike

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, seems like it took them 5 days to "frame" it w concrete. And technically took them "weeks" just 5 "working days".

That's a long ass time. And I bet it's probably still twice as expensive, even considering redonkulous lumber costs.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Pretty crazy numbers they are putting up.

They lost me at “China claims”.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
They lost me at “China claims”.
They have all of Mericas SAPs, Data, Tech. Just cause they make shitty stuff and sell it to everyone doesn't mean they aren't employing top notch shit in their RnD department and making huge scientific advances. What, you think China is only in the top 3 in the world because they eat bats?

• 1Dislike

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
They have all of Mericas SAPs, Data, Tech. Just cause they make shitty stuff and sell it to everyone doesn't mean they aren't employing top notch shit in their RnD department and making huge scientific advances. What, you think China is only in the top 3 in the world because they eat bats?
Their shitty stuff includes fake data. They make a lot of that.

• 2Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Their shitty stuff includes fake data. They make a lot of that.
Its rule #1 when it comes to Chinese Science: if all the research was done in China, and all the people on the paper are Chinese, its fake.

I mean, this stuff is like Nigerian prince emails. It feels a little silly even having to say out lout that its fake.

• 1Truth!

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Its rule #1 when it comes to Chinese Science: if all the research was done in China, and all the people on the paper are Chinese, its fake.

I mean, this stuff is like Nigerian prince emails. It feels a little silly even having to say out lout that its fake.
Even the dragons are fake? Aw man.
new year taiwan GIF

• 1Worf
  • 1Salty

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I mean, they are still the only country in the world that has multiple papers every year showing that acupuncture "works" (every study done in other countries has concluded it to be undistinguishable from placebo).

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
  • 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Amazing

This microscope has the potential to be huge in terms of advancements. A lot of things we know are basically inferred and even biology paper reproduction rates are pretty dog shit right now so this has the potential to clear up tons of misconceptions/bad papers out there. I'd be curious if it's good enough to see mRNA protein folding.. that shit right there is the holy grail of biotechnology. A clear predictable understanding of mRNA and protein folding turns DNA modifications into the equivalent of computer programming biology.

• 1Like