Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Sterling

El Presidente
231d 5h 50m

I know im a cretin but it seems kind of silly to have a huge research lab running for a decade or whatever to confirm that shit wobbles. I wish the video talked more about how now they reduced the uncertainty around muons they were going to pursue new physics.
This is something that's been going on for the last couple of pages of this thread. It's not silly. Discovering new particles/forces is a really huge deal. discovering the electron wasn't very big at the time, but I'd say that's worked out pretty well. Potentially having to revamp the Standard Model is no small thing in the physics world.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
92d 2h 58m
This is something that's been going on for the last couple of pages of this thread. It's not silly. Discovering new particles/forces is a really huge deal. discovering the electron wasn't very big at the time, but I'd say that's worked out pretty well. Potentially having to revamp the Standard Model is no small thing in the physics world.
Yeah, this thread is why I looked it up and was disappointed this conversation and your reply here doesn't seem to match what happened.

Sterling

El Presidente
231d 5h 50m
Yeah, this thread is why I looked it up and was disappointed this conversation and your reply here doesn't seem to match what happened.
The difference in predicted and actual spin of the muon g-2 is enough that they'll be doing another round of testing with better instrumentation and likely other labs will be looking at this as well. Or is your issue that we likely won't know all properties of this particle/force aside from it's impact on the spin on the muon g-2?

Borzak

Karazhan Raider
179d 2h 22m
  • 1Like
Reactions: chthonic-anemos

Edaw

-!-
<Gold Donor>
164d 16h 28m

wormie

<Gold Donor>
198d 1h 28m
impressive to see that we did not invent anything. Stator and rotor, etc. really cool
Yeah. Nature did it all first. This got me thinking that it is possible that we will never invent anything that nature hasnt/cant as we are part of the natural system and cant construct anything outside of it. Which begs the question, is there anything that nature hasnt invented yet or is this as far as it goes for us?

• 1Picard
Reactions: Mudcrush Durtfeet

MusicForFish

Space Command
<Prior Amod>
150d 17h 9m
Yeah. Nature did it all first. This got me thinking that it is possible that we will never invent anything that nature hasnt/cant as we are part of the natural system and cant construct anything outside of it. Which begs the question, is there anything that nature hasnt invented yet or is this as far as it goes for us?
bruce jenner what GIF

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
92d 2h 58m
Through our eyes, the universe is perceiving itself. Through our ears, the universe is listening to its harmonies. We are the witnesses through which the universe becomes conscious of its glory, of its magnificence

Borzak

Karazhan Raider
179d 2h 22m
Not magnets.

Thirty-five years after the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine exploded in the world’s worst nuclear accident, fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall. “It’s like the embers in a barbecue pit,” says Neil Hyatt, a nuclear materials chemist at the University of Sheffield. Now, Ukrainian scientists are scrambling to determine whether the reactions will wink out on their own—or require extraordinary interventions to avert another accident.

Sanrith Descartes

I love my shiny new medal, LLR
<Gold Donor>
86d 3h 59m
Not magnets.

Thirty-five years after the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine exploded in the world’s worst nuclear accident, fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall. “It’s like the embers in a barbecue pit,” says Neil Hyatt, a nuclear materials chemist at the University of Sheffield. Now, Ukrainian scientists are scrambling to determine whether the reactions will wink out on their own—or require extraordinary interventions to avert another accident.
170 tons of fissionible material. Christ.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: Ukerric

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
49d 20h 27m
Fucking Russians. It's actually not that far out there to make a case that if not for the collosal fuckup of Chernobyl, global warming wouldn't even be an issue today.

• 1Like
Reactions: MusicForFish