Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
There was a pretty cool "Into the Universe" episode where they went specifically into this. Time dilation as in:closer to mass, the more time is (relatively) slowed down to time measured further away.Scientists in Greenwich took two identical clocks extremely sync'd to who knows how many fractions of seconds. They actually proved time dilation simply by placing one clock elevated 10ft or so above the other. The lower clock (nearest to mass = Earth) was slower than the one above it.

I am sure Google could explain the details better, but I'm lazy.
That would explain why time slows down whenever I'm stuck behind a fat person on the pavement.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
That would explain why time slows down whenever I'm stuck behind a fat person on the pavement.
I think the effect is amplified by 100 when you account the mass of the shopping center around you. Move out of my way you fat waddling fucks!

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Scientists at theNational Ignition Facilityachieved a sum total greater energy out than in last year, and supposedly, they've been able tofar exceedthat power output through the adjustment of the lasers. From what I understand, it's just "flash in the pan" fusion? Thus far, and not sustainable (Not sure if that's right, the article is nebulous at best)...But now it looks like they might be able to start fusion reliably soon, maybe.

I can't even imagine the effects of having sustainable fusion power. In one swoop so many of mankind's problems would be solved. The economic, global and environmental effects would be absolutely massive. Anyone else have anymore information on this facility and how close it is to that? Supposedly, it's not popular in Congress because it's been costing billions--but wondering how much real progress they've made, it certainly sounds promising.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Scientists at theNational Ignition Facilityachieved a sum total greater energy out than in last year, and supposedly, they've been able tofar exceedthat power output through the adjustment of the lasers. From what I understand, it's just "flash in the pan" fusion? Thus far, and not sustainable (Not sure if that's right, the article is nebulous at best)...But now it looks like they might be able to start fusion reliably soon, maybe.

I can't even imagine the effects of having sustainable fusion power. In one swoop so many of mankind's problems would be solved. The economic, global and environmental effects would be absolutely massive. Anyone else have anymore information on this facility and how close it is to that? Supposedly, it's not popular in Congress because it's been costing billions--but wondering how much real progress they've made, it certainly sounds promising.
Doing it at all is a big step. Apparently there are inefficiencies in the lasers which are causing a large loss overall in the process, but laser technology got some big boosts recently ("perfect" mirrors, for one) that will no doubt cause a big difference. The process needs refinement.

MIT creates the first perfect mirror | ExtremeTech

iannis

Musty Nester
It would make the industrial revolution seem tame, wouldn't it?

The social repercussions of boundless energy... look at what cheap coal then oil did to America. Get ready world, we're about to go America all over your asses.

Continental shelves... don't be so smug. You're fucking next.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't really know what other technologies it would allow, but once it ramps up it does seem like it'd annihilate the other energy markets. But I have to believe that with how cheap coal is it'll take a long time to be more cost efficient. Like decades long.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I used to work across the street from NIF. Not to poo poo the story, but someone has announced that fusion was just around the corner like 6 times a year for the last 40 years.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Reached on the phone by FoxNews.com, a NIF spokeswoman was unable to comment on the record due to the government slimdown
lulz, they even put it in their fucking science articles.

Szlia

The last paragraph of that article about the quantum computer helping find an algorithm for Google Glasse's wink detection make the whole project sound like the department of Up Ass Smoke Blowing.

iannis

Musty Nester
Quantum teleportation? Does this mean that I won't have to own a car anymore?

Our dependance on foreign oil is over! YAY SCIENCE.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Quantum teleportation? Does this mean that I won't have to own a car anymore?

Our dependance on foreign oil is over! YAY SCIENCE.
...Alice has a quantum system, particle 1, in an initial state which she wants to teleport to Bob. Alice and Bob also share an ancillary entangled pairof particles 2 and 3 emitted by an Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen (EPR) source. Alice then performs a joint Bell-state measurement (BSM) on the initial particle and one of the ancillaries...

rrr_img_48219.jpg

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A wealthy "madame" in my hometown is buried under a 6'x4'x16' block of concrete. She paid for her hole in the ground and ain't nobody takin it from her.