Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

So what puts a satellite into orbit once it's in space? Does it need to fire boosters or whatever after it has reached the required altitude to start its sideways(orbital) movement? Can it go in any direction? Seems like a pretty precise thing. Too fast and it slowly gains altitude, too slow and it slowly falls to earth. Are there periodic adjustments for velocity and direction automated by the satellite? Is velocity what determines the altitude of orbit (faster is higher?) or is there another reason?
The rocket does all the work unless the satellite carries an inertial upper stage/apogee kick motor (usually geos going from transfer to final orbit). The small thrusters on most spacecraft are just for stationkeeping, ie keeping it in a precise orbit, and end of life operations (deorbit for LEO, acceleration to junk orbit for geo. The launch path of rockets is mostly lateral (down range), more than vertical. So it's not up then sideways, it's both at the same time. Mostly up closest to the pad, mostly downrange near 1st stage cutoff. Think more like half a parabola on its side starting at 0,0 and extending out towards positive infinity, where the x-axis is the ground.

Orbits are almost all between polar (90degrees) and equatorial (0degrees) in inclination. Inclination is the angle of the ascending node (equatorial crossing) of the ground track in relation to the equator. There are a handful of missions that have flown retrograde (greater than 90 degrees and thus aganst the rotation of earth to some extent). Rockets have the most capability (throw weight) when launched closest to the equator and in equatorial orbits due to using the earth's rotation to help with orbital velocity.

Quick orbital primer:
LEO - low earth orbit, close to earth, the ones you see at night moving very fast, ISS and shuttle fly here.
GEO - geostationary is far from earth, at the point the orbital period matches earth's rotation, so these stay in the same point in the sky all the time (think DirecTV, Sirius). Geosynchronous orbits are similar but not exactly equatorial, so they drift north and south in the sky relative to a point on earth throughout the day.
MEO - Medium earth orbit. GPS sats sit here, they are semisynchronous, meaning you see the same satellite at the same point in the sky twice a day.
HEO - highly elliptical orbit. Russia uses a lot of these, as Geos are along the equator and too close to the southern horizon in the sky for their high lattitudes. So these sats dwell a long time over a region at a really high apogee, before swinging by really close and fast and then zipping back out to appogee. This keeps them in a relatively small portion of the sky for long durations.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So what puts a satellite into orbit once it's in space? Does it need to fire boosters or whatever after it has reached the required altitude to start its sideways(orbital) movement? Can it go in any direction? Seems like a pretty precise thing. Too fast and it slowly gains altitude, too slow and it slowly falls to earth. Are there periodic adjustments for velocity and direction automated by the satellite? Is velocity what determines the altitude of orbit (faster is higher?) or is there another reason?
Start watching at the 2 minute mark;

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Link below is nice as a hands-on way of understanding orbits. You can adjust your planet's mass, speed & direction and see what happens. You'll get to see slingshots, elliptical orbits and exploding planets. You can also try and see what would happen if the moon stopped moving suddenly. Spoiler: bad things.

http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/data/45...system_en.html

So many internet scientist and e-phd's up in hur. Leave science up to us big boys who have actual accreditation.
Like accreditation means somebody is competent
rolleyes.png

The Foler_sl

shitlord
Then contribute ?
I gave up after a forum member wouldn't believe me that traveling faster than the speed of light is physically impossible. If jet 1 flys at speed of light 1 way then jet 2 flys at speed of light the other way, then either one is traveling at 2x the speed of light relative to the other amirite?!

Lol.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I gave up after a forum member wouldn't believe me that traveling faster than the speed of light is physically impossible. If jet 1 flys at speed of light 1 way then jet 2 flys at speed of light the other way, then either one is traveling at 2x the speed of light relative to the other amirite?!

Lol.
http://techland.time.com/2012/09/19/...ht-warp-drive/

Technicality sure but traveling faster than the speed of light is theoretically possible.

TPDDODD_sl

shitlord
So many internet scientist and e-phd's up in hur. Leave science up to us big boys who have actual accreditation.
Then contribute ?

Lol.

That's a cop out. Anyone can claim proficiency in anything on the internet. Some posters exagerate thier abilities and capabilities for one reason or another. It is normal to be skeptical of unsubstantiated claims to such abilities and capabilities. Further, posters may be as qualified as they claim, but may be unable to convincingly project these qualifications in thier posts.

It is therefore counter-productive for a scientist to take the solution you have chosen. As a scientist, or a member active in the scientific field, you should know that the need, and perhaps the duty, to convince your peers, your subordinates, the laity, and your superiors , is part of the very essence of science. Refusing to do so because your feeling have been bruised is not useful, and it undermines science. (Howdomagnets work?).

Additionally, lay people and fledgling scientists are entitled to thier opinions and thier doubts. Science and scientists have been wrong many times in the past. In many areas, over the history of the respective fields, societies have been consequentially led astray.

So I echo Kedwyn. Dont give up. swallow your pride. Be tolerant of others. Sublimate your original course of action.

ps: I await vinegarsauceoncorn entry into this thread to correct my grammar, punctuation and content while he brags of his proficiency in ESL.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FTL particles were discovered at CERN but then covered up

http://www.meetstheweird.com/conspir...ed-or-coverup/
If you just thought
Now, I am no physicist
so I can?t say for sure
Maybe
make me wonder
If researchers were
we may find
If FTL travel were