Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

May have been posted before but this is a cool simulation of a major intersection with self driving cars. Looks both awesome and terrifying.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm really curious about it also. Would be great for Earthquake or tornado kits.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
iirc it has a low shelf life. The vice article where the guy did soylent for 30 days got moldy product or something.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
So it doesn't actually stay good for 2 years like the video says? Hmm moldy after a week that's not to good.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Would be good if you have a basement or something. Keeping it between 50-60 degrees might be tough otherwise.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Hooray! We have been waiting all our lives for NASA to draw a picture of a space ship!

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
What's sad is the typical FB morons will read that headline and think that scientists are on the verge of FTL travel. Nevermind the fact that we haven't even figured out cold fusion much less something that requires infinite energy.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It doesn't violate relativity or require infinite energy. It works by warping spacetime around the ship. So while the net effect is the ship going faster than light, from the ship's reference it is not.

My understanding is it is currently at the "theoretically possible" stage. It's definitely worth investigating, though

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
It doesn't violate relativity or require infinite energy. It works by warping spacetime around the ship. So while the net effect is the ship going faster than light, from the ship's reference it is not.

My understanding is it is currently at the "theoretically possible" stage. It's definitely worth investigating, though
Yes, it doesn't require infinite energy but it still does require "exotic" matter. Which means, whatever the power source is, it still needs to produce more than even what would be produced with fusion energy (Or, at least, that's how it was explained to me). Essentially, it needs whatever the "next step" beyond fusion might be. The whole redesign just got scientists excited because it changed the mass requirements of that magic energy from Joavian in size, into space ship size. (So, theoretically, one day, if we actually develop a kind of mythical "star trek" anti-matter reactor? FTL travel would totally be possible. Which IS exciting, but only because it means our travel is now tied to power production, and not time.)

A comment on that article said it best. Now we only need a small bucket of unicorn tears to power our FTL ship--the problem is, we still need unicorn tears, heh.

Rime

<Donor>
I really wish that people would stop running with that story.

Everyone who has spoken to me believes that it is a real, liquid ocean, just sloshing around in 500+ heat, with pressure greater than we can imagine. It is suspended in a mineral known as ringwoodite, which in concentrations, can have as much as something like 2-3% of it's total mass being suspended liquid.

iannis

Musty Nester
So it's just a porous, wet, layer of rock. How can that be considered "near the core" when the radius of the earth is 4,000 miles? That's like... upper mantle.

And I assume that the claim of "3x more water than all the oceans on the surface" is assuming that the layer is contiguous, rather than being a local feature.