Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Cybsled

Eh, that article is misleading anyways. They could strap a fleshlight and fake tits to petman and claim to have the first advanced sexbot.

We're a helluva a long way from Cherry 2000, though.

iannis

Musty Nester
Splitting the water has never been a problem from what I understand. That's easy to do with electricity. The problem is the efficiency of the entire process, which includes the fuel cell and the electrolysis.

I guess they made a new doo-dad to do it with, and it does it on a very small scale.

Honestly, I don't know if anyone outside of stanford gives a fuck. The only important thing looks like they used nickel instead of platinum. So that's 1 step closer... but it's still reads more like a "This is what we did with our grants. We didn't just spend it on hookers and blow."

Edit: I mean it's not nothing. It seems like only one very small piece of the problem.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I mean it's not nothing. It seems like only one very small piece of the problem.
The way I read it, they've made a pretty significant improvement to the efficiency and scalability of the electrolysis process. I don't think anyone is claiming this is the new paradigm that's going to make fusion research unnecessary, but still, progress toward new energy storage and distribution methods is a good thing. I'm sure that the engineers at Hyundi, Toyota, and Honda are going to be more interested in it than you are.

iannis

Musty Nester
They may quite possibly be. It really is hard to get excited by ivy league patent licensing though.

If they found a cheaper way to do it that's cool. It is an iterative thing, applied materials science.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Don't plants split water with 'virtually' no energy input? Obviously that's on a much smaller scale but it's also why we expect mass colonies of algae and moss to do most of the work for these things.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I googled for a few seconds and foundthis 7 year old articleabout something that might be similar to what you're thinking of? But the thing is that process, even with bacteria, still uses platinum in the cathode, so it could possibly be improved by the nickel/nickel-oxide electrode Sanford developed. Oh, and the bacteria also release CO2, which a pure electrolysis process doesn't.

Am I barking up the wrong tree by looking up bacteria? I don't remember reading about moss or algae in this context, but I'm wrong often enough.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
At the tail end of the ethanol hype wave many were moving to bacteria as well. That's undoubtedly still progressing. Turning the stalks of corn into fuel was the goal, but there is so little energy in those parts that using heat was wasteful.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The nice thing about producing hydrogen fuel cell cars is that the fuel source is then completely decoupled from the vehicle - we can scale up and increase efficiency in how we produce hydrogen, or get it from solar or wind or whatever, and the cars can also improve on efficiency/materials etc and we don't need to say "well, that would be great except we can't afford to replace 10 billion cars. Fuck it"

That decoupling is important.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Well the technology is here and has been tested, at this point they only need to build the fleet hardware.
This move is gonna be used to prevent Russia from using transport to ISS as a bargaining chip from now on.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I didn't realize it cost the US $70 million per astronaut for the Russians to transport them up to the ISS.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure what is so difficult about "2-3 years away" to understand.
I think your read something into my response that wasn't there. i was not disputing the 2-3 years thing from the article.
I was just saying that if russians decided to be dicks, the tech is there and US could just throw more money at this to speed the program significantly.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I think your read something into my response that wasn't there. i was not disputing the 2-3 years thing from the article.
I was just saying that if russians decided to be dicks, the tech is there and US could just throw more money at this to speed the program significantly.
You said Russia is "no longer needed". For the next 2-3 years, it's needed, because you can't just throw money at NASA to speed up the approval/certification process for this. Right from NASA's press release, it says "with a goal of ending the nation's sole reliance on Russia in 2017". That's a goal. How reliable is NASA for making deadlines over the past couple decades? If anything, it is likely to take more time, not less.

In the mean time, the US and ESA still have to be able to get astronauts to the ISS, and Russia is trollololing them with this Crimea bullshit:Russia moves ISS astronaut training to newly annexed Crimea | Ars Technica

So there's still a significant problem to be worked out for the next few years. But absolutely, great news in the medium term.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You said Russia is "no longer needed". For the next 2-3 years, it's needed, because you can't just throw money at NASA to speed up the approval/certification process for this. Right from NASA's press release, it says "with a goal of ending the nation's sole reliance on Russia in 2017". That's a goal. How reliable is NASA for making deadlines over the past couple decades? If anything, it is likely to take more time, not less.

In the mean time, the US and ESA still have to be able to get astronauts to the ISS, and Russia is trollololing them with this Crimea bullshit:Russia moves ISS astronaut training to newly annexed Crimea | Ars Technica

So there's still a significant problem to be worked out for the next few years. But absolutely, great news in the medium term.
Fuck it if we can go from a Benny Hill backing track with footage of test rockets exploding to the moon in under 10 years, we should be able to get back to LEO in under 3 years.