Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's enough to get excited about yeah, but tbh I'll feel better when a top university performs the experiment.

iannis

Musty Nester
Same here. NASA is not the singular oracle of God Almighty. It's just that them being willing to test it and really look at it bodes well.

The microbes on mars was retracted very quickly. From what I remember of it that wasn't entirely NASA's fault either. That was more like half them being overanxious and half science journalism running with an unhedged conjecture as fact. But the fact the conjecture was based on is tantalizing. It's just they have no way to prove that conjecture with the equipment on the rover. I think they might have learned from that experience. This seems like a very cautious approach to something whichcouldbe quite important.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
NASA isn't immune to announcing bullshit. They told the press that they found martian bacteria a few years ago when they didn't.
I still remember all the hype around a NASA press conference about non-phosphorous life a few years back. I even watched the conference live (in the middle of the night in Europe). It was all just some 28 year old egomaniac talking aboutherresearch and how awesome this was going to be forhercareer. Then a few days later it was all demolished in the science press. Since then I take all NASA hype with a grain of salt.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
I was about to post that article... am I to believe that they are telling me I am part of a smear on the event horizon of a 4d black hole??

iannis

Musty Nester
WE CAN GO DEEPER.

It would be interesting to see what their falsifiable predictions are, and if they're things we can observe or if they're safely outside of verification.

iannis

Musty Nester
Those last 3 paragraphs are horribly convoluted.

So how much of the sky does a red dwarf occupy for a planet which is orbiting 0.3 AU away. Less than the sun does earth I'd think, if they are only 10-20% as massive. 1/5 as big at 1/3 the distance. They'd be fairly dark!

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
just 0.1 to 0.2 (AU
That's pretty vague, could be mean or median or rounded for brevity?

extended from 0.23 to 0.44 AU
Based on the first range and the "extended" context, I'd bet that range is for just the outer edges of the zone?

I'd be more worried about how dim red dwarfs are if I were personally able to photosynthesize. (Yes I know where our oxygen came from. >_<)

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Those last 3 paragraphs are horribly convoluted.

So how much of the sky does a red dwarf occupy for a planet which is orbiting 0.3 AU away. Less than the sun does earth I'd think, if they are only 10-20% as massive. 1/5 as big at 1/3 the distance. They'd be fairly dark!
A planet of all albinos?!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Obligatory-Lifeforce (1985) Full Movie 1/1 - YouTube

And it even has Patrick Stewart. You should watch it- make it so!

Incentive-Attachment 73449, who is nude through most of the movie.
No nudity in sfw areas please.
250px-EddardStark.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I dunno, I don't see that happening that quickly. I could conceivably see some sort of stupidly expensive 'prototypes' but consumer pricing and availability? 11 years seems a bit too soon for that. There just doesn't seem to be the R&D push for that sort of thing right now, despite the advances we've made in the last decade. I mean, self-checkouts are still a disaster and McDonald's still haven't replaced their order-taking workers with touch screen order systems. I think once the price to employ basic human-interaction workers drives real innovation, the sex worker robot thing is a natural extension given the fact that the trade is illegal yet persists everywhere. Google won't do it, but once they release their Android+ OS and control system, plenty of money hungry firms will jump on those innovations to put them to less reputable uses.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, I don't see that happening that quickly. I could conceivably see some sort of stupidly expensive 'prototypes' but consumer pricing and availability? 11 years seems a bit too soon for that.
It is, consumer pricing (<$100,000) realistic humanoid robots is like, decades away. Stupidly expensive expensive sex bots that can walk, talk etc aren't even within 11 years away or even 20 years probably. In this guys' career he'll probably say they're ~10 years away many times over many years. He even admits that he said it would happen in 2017 in a previous article. In his defense selling futurism is his job and he's naively accepting whatever shit some robotics marketing guy is pitching.

What is a reality in the near future is a combination of:
1. Real dolls improving with the addition of simple AI that integrates with your computer, phone whatever and offers a simple textual interaction and a lifeless hunk of semi-realistic artificial flesh to bang between detecting you're making a joke and laughing at it.
2. Improved specialized household automation bots ex Roomba, coffee makers.
3. Improved personal assistance software ex Siri.

These things are all very separate ways that could replace human interaction but we're so far from realistic robotics that serve general human replacement purposes and the uncanny valley is very, very deep.