Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I hope no engineer is using the scientific method to construct bridges. That's how you get the ones in India that just collapsed.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Someone may use engineering and science together. It's not either or. In fact one might say scientists who do not use engineering to set up their experiments (that is known and quantifiable facts about such things as materials, forces and interactions) then they aren't really doing controlled experiments. You engineer all variables and science just one.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Someone may use engineering and science together. It's not either or. In fact one might say scientists who do not use engineering to set up their experiments (that is known and quantifiable facts about such things as materials, forces and interactions) then they aren't really doing controlled experiments. You engineer all variables and science just one.
I agree with this.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
How do you engineer an experiment in the life sciences? If I'm doing population dynamics of caddisfly larvae in a sub alpine stream I fail to see where the engineering comes in.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The question is whether taking accurate measurements and building as clean and deterministic an experiment as possible is science or engineering. Truth is, it's both:

Engineering is the application of mathematics, empirical evidence and scientific, economic, social, and practical knowledge in order to invent, innovate, design, build, maintain, research, and improve structures, machines, tools, systems, components, materials, and processes
You're engineering good science!

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
How do you engineer an experiment in the life sciences? If I'm doing population dynamics of caddisfly larvae in a sub alpine stream I fail to see where the engineering comes in.
Engineering is the tool most commonly used in science. Since engineering is involved in building everything. How do you think your microscope was built? How do you think your pencil was created, the physical paper as well was created by an engineering process.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Scientists study things, engineers build things. As a former engineer who used to build shit for scientists I don't see how anyone could fail to make this distinction. Bill Nye knows more about science than Sara Palin, but he is a science educator at best and a media whore at worst. My opinion on his douchiness is based strictly on the presumptuousness of his doing that debate as the self proclaimed voice of science his appearance on Science Friday. I have liked some of the stuff he did but on SciFri he came across to me as angry, insecure, and overly confrontational for no reason. It's not like a bunch of young earth creationists and climate change deniers call in to Science Friday. They do get their share of hippy food fear mongers though, and Bill Nye was one of them until very recently.

I think he would be better off if he stuck to teaching kids stuff.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
Coming from the pharma and medical device industries, most companies draw the following lines as requirements for different positions:

Scientist: PhD in scientific discipline
Research Associate: bachelor's or masters in scientific discipline, reports to scientist.
Engineer: bachelor's or higher in engineering discipline
Technician: sub-bachelor's, reports to engineer or scientist.

Some companies adhere to these criteria very strictly, and some don't. My company uses an "associate scientist" job title for RAs who have been around for many years and have earned a lot more independence. At my previous company, you could only have "scientist" in your job title of you had a PhD, no exceptions. You could advance up to RA IV or RA V and then become an administrator or manager, but never to scientist.

So, at least in medicine/pharma, the word "scientist" typically is reserved for PhD researchers, but it's not a hard and fast rule everywhere.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Engineering vs Science comes with a different mindset. As an engineer i don't have to question or inquire about the source of a phenomenon. I only care about its practical applications. As an engineer i could live happily just knowing the effects of gravity, never caring if God made it, or whatever the source is, I only care how to use it. You can achieve great feats of engineering without never questioning religion, something i think it can no be said about science.

Troll_sl

shitlord
A scientist builds the model of a system. An engineer builds the system itself (or attempts to).

The former has lots of implications. First: the model of a system isn't the same as the system. It's neccesarily reduced. Variables are isolated and controlled for. These are then used to further refine the model and to predict behavior. The latter uses the information gathered by the construction of the model to reconstruct the system in the real world as best as possible.

There's of course a lot of overlap. But that's the general distinction.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Coming from the pharma and medical device industries, most companies draw the following lines as requirements for different positions:

Scientist: PhD in scientific discipline
Research Associate: bachelor's or masters in scientific discipline, reports to scientist.
Engineer: bachelor's or higher in engineering discipline
Technician: sub-bachelor's, reports to engineer or scientist.

Some companies adhere to these criteria very strictly, and some don't. My company uses an "associate scientist" job title for RAs who have been around for many years and have earned a lot more independence. At my previous company, you could only have "scientist" in your job title of you had a PhD, no exceptions. You could advance up to RA IV or RA V and then become an administrator or manager, but never to scientist.

So, at least in medicine/pharma, the word "scientist" typically is reserved for PhD researchers, but it's not a hard and fast rule everywhere.
Using job titles is a bad example. Some companies use scientist for BS/MS holders and reserve Researvher or Investigator for PhD holders. Really no standardization across industry.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Engineering vs Science comes with a different mindset. As an engineer i don't have to question or inquire about the source of a phenomenon. I only care about its practical applications. As an engineer i could live happily just knowing the effects of gravity, never caring if God made it, or whatever the source is, I only care how to use it. You can achieve great feats of engineering without never questioning religion, something i think it can no be said about science.
Huh. That actually really explains why so many retarded creatards are engineers, and it makes sense.

Cray cray

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Huh. That actually really explains why so many retarded creatards are engineers, and it makes sense.

Cray cray
Seriously. Scary to think some engineers think like that. Scientist is such a broad term that in itself is sort of meaningless, somewhat like engineer. If someone tells me they're a scientist, it is uselss. Are you a physical chemist, microbiologist, theoretical physicist, what?

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Seriously. Scary to think some engineers think like that. Scientist is such a broad term that in itself is sort of meaningless, somewhat like engineer. If someone tells me they're a scientist, it is uselss. Are you a physical chemist, microbiologist, theoretical physicist, what?
Exactly, which is why it's so absurd to think Bill Nye isn't a scientist.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Exactly. If she said qualified climatologist she would have had a point. Instead she used a word that casts such a huge umbrella on many fields it's actually hard to not fit the definition.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
Using job titles is a bad example. Some companies use scientist for BS/MS holders and reserve Researvher or Investigator for PhD holders. Really no standardization across industry.
I know that some companies do that, but most don't. However, a more recent trend has Scientist I / II / III tiers for experienced bachelor's or master's holders as a way of advancing beyond the RA level. In those cases, Senior / Principal Scientist are typically PhD-level.

Again, I'm not claiming that these are strict rules or anything, but the most common employment structure for a biotech / pharma / med device company is the one I listed.