Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's why you dig a huge trench that funnels all the lava down a path to the Mexico border filling molds to build the wall. MAGMA!

Fucking really? It's 5:19 and I'm still late to the joke. I quit.
trump-faces.gif

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Can we pipe lava at all is a question I don't have an answer to. I want to say that's highly unlikely, but I could be wrong.

But yeah, the costs would certainly be less than having 2/3rds of the US annihilated in a few hours, obviously.

I'd like to see what someone with a strong background in geology thinks of this as well, tbh.

The fact that both of you came up with the idea of using the lava to build the Great Wall of Trump simultaneously made me lol.
Why can't we? We just need to mine a solid tungsten asteroid and get a tungsten lined pipe!

iannis

Musty Nester
The cure is probably worse than the disease. The immune response would be less than spectacular. Unintentional effects, as well. This thing starts turning messenger proteins into salt and who knows what happens.

Still, it is neat. But I think perhaps a bit oversold. Seems like it may have more value as a sterilization technique than a prophylactic.

Not like I know. It just seems that way.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The macromolecule mimics our natural glycoproteins... Which is pretty ingenious... Sounds like it might actually work without messing up too much in the process.. Based on my limited biochem knowledge anyway.. Mass producing the stuff has got to be a headache tho, and it will almost certainly be used exclusively in very severe viral infection cases, at least for the first decade or two that it is on the market. Will be a long time before we start buying over-the-counter Tylenol Cold, Flu, and AIDS.

It's almost like it's a synthetic mechanical white blood cell.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Based on some quick Googling, Yellowstone averages amajoreruption about once every 700,000 years, with the last one being 640,000 years ago. Yellowstone averages aminoreruption every 91,000 years with the last one happening around 70,000 years ago. Scientist also believe with 99.9% certainty that Yellowstone won't erupt in the 21st century. Also scientists believe they will be able to monitor the magma moving into the crust which signals an imminent eruption. When this starts to happen it can take anywhere from 10 months to 10 years for the actual eruption event to take place.

*edit: Oh, and even though it averages a major eruption every 700,000 they believe the next one is at least a million years out.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If we don't start lancing volcanos now with tungsten pricks the eastern seaboard will be underwater by 2017 - Al Gore

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Build a pipeline from the ocean and pump sea water into a hole near the magma chamber. Collect the steam and divert it to farm lands for crops and electricity and solve rising sea levels at the same time!

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
A nice little article on how car engine efficiency can be improved, focusing on something called turbulent jet ignition (TJI) which takes the thermal efficiency past 45% (from 20% - 35%, depending upon the car you have right now). As a bonus it also results in cleaner emissions, and presumably with no loss of power since it's used in Formula 1.

Turbulent times for Formula 1 engines result in unprecedented efficiency gains | Ars Technica UK

An older link about this...

Something to smile about in F1 | joeblogsf1

It is the DNA of the sport, but in the 120-year history of the automobile, engineers had only managed to raise the thermal efficiency of the average road car engine up to around 30 percent before 2014.

In the space of two years, the modern F1 engines have lifted that figure to 45 percent and the engineers are now working to take that on to 50 percent and more. They still see enormous potential for further gains in development and are excited that the same concepts can then be applied to road cars.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I dunno what the standard view is, but after careful thought I think quantum physics is a prank physicists are playing on us.

I can just see Einstein in a dark, smoke filled room speaking to Schrodinger. "Yeah, we're going to go even further. We'll call it 'quantum entanglement'. I even have a cute phrase, 'Spooky action at a distance'! Hahaha".

Northerner

N00b
He certainly was trying to show how absurd and counterintuitive this interpretation would be. The problem is, it agrees with observed behavior so what can you do? Science isn't about the Universe being how we'd like it to be or even really about it making sense. It's about discovering what makes it tick, even when that is counterintuitive.

Jive Turkey

Karen
So you are blaming it all on his cat?
That poor cat
frown.png
Also, why doesn't the cat's observation count for shit? Racist against cats!

He certainly was trying to show how absurd and counterintuitive this interpretation would be. The problem is, it agrees with observed behavior so what can you do? Science isn't about the Universe being how we'd like it to be or even really about it making sense. It's about discovering what makes it tick, even when that is counterintuitive.
I'm not making a claim either way. Just saying that he was trying to point out how something must be wrong with the interpretation