Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
That is the general idea with roundup but it doesn't work on everything. Again I'm not reading this off the internet I've actually seen this in the real world. I can't remember which kinds of weeds it doesn't kill, but there are several in the area. That and resistance are the main reasons 24d ready cotton is being developed. Actually I think it has been ready for a couple years they are just waiting on approvals. (EPA?)

Back to GMOS, couple cool techs they've come up with are drought resistance and short growing season. Our drought is over, but it was brutal a few years ago. Short growing season helps if you need to plant late.

I am largely clueless on farming. I never understand why a particular field needs plowing or cultivating or those little spiney things or whatever. I like videogame farming. Stick seed in ground come back in 6 months.

GPS driven tractors are sweet though. Get in, fire up a good scifi audiobook and try not to fall asleep. If/when you do fall asleep, beeps wake you up when it is time to turn
biggrin.png

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
That is the general idea with roundup but it doesn't work on everything. Again I'm not reading this off the internet I've actually seen this in the real world.
1. Your logical fallacy is anecdote, which is derived from your lack of understanding of the issue.
2. The herbicide glyphosate, which is the primary ingredient in Round Up, disrupts the EPSP synthase enzyme, which disrupts amino acid production in the plants.

Amino acid synthesis is the primary function of DNA transcription, and is critical to growth, regulation, and repair mechanisms of cells.

So you're wrong. Just move on.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
You can mix it for a stronger dose, but eventually you'll make the weeds that survive resistant. We learned that the hard way. You can't just dump the stuff in pure form, it would cost more than the crops are worth.

I could ask around and get you facts on which plants survive, but at this point it seems you'd rather just parrot wikipedia. It will kill all weeds but only if you spray them when they are tiny.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Hmm... the main argument against GMOs and Roundup especially that I have come across is not that they are cancer inducing. It is the same argument that is used against overuse of antibiotics, that the heavy use of pesticides on Roundup crops will in the end cause superbugs to emerge that are resistant to it.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Hmm... the main argument against GMOs and Roundup especially that I have come across is not that they are cancer inducing. It is the same argument that is used against overuse of antibiotics, that the heavy use of pesticides on Roundup crops will in the end cause superbugs to emerge that are resistant to it.
Can you please site peer reviewed scientific literature to support such claims?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
We gonna round up those plants so hard they grow teeth and legs and start chasing everyone down in the streets. The days of the rule of man are over. If only our hubris had been checked by those anti vaccers and anti gmo and anti monsanto people. Who knew they were right all along!

I've never heard any of those arguments being used against GMOs and Round Up. The arguments I've heard are "Its my body I have a right to know what I'm putting in it" and "I prefer natural foods because theyre natural natural is good because its natural. Organic. Whole grain. Locally owned goods. Peace man. Love mother Gaia."

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like how in that article they mention that our ancestors "slept" with the other humans outside Africa, I would be really surprised if such sleeping arrangements were consensual.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Some probably were. Some probably weren't.

Can't really say one way or another. All we know is that there was definitely some booty banging going on between homo sapiens, homo neanderthalensis, and homo denosivan.

Hot, taboo interspecies booty banging.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Wtf? That is definitely not "the main argument". I have literally never even heard of that before today

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This argument is just as dumb as the others. ROUNDUP IS MAKING TEH SUPARWEEDS!!!!" The only negative consequence of these so-called superweeds is that we would lose roundup as a herbicide. If you ban roundup because plants might become resistant to it, you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
This thread is depressing because it keeps reminding me I have 5 gallons of roundup mixed up I've been meaning to spray. At this rate summer is going to be over first lol.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
No no. See since Roundup blocks amino acid synthesis, it is only logical to assume weeds that become resistant will be fundamentally different than all life as we know it, outcompeting all other life on the planet. Bad things like this happen when you make fishtomatoes.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
No no. See since Roundup blocks amino acid synthesis, it is only logical to assume weeds that become resistant will be fundamentally different than all life as we know it, outcompeting all other life on the planet. Bad things like this happen when you make fishtomatoes.
rrr_img_136717.jpg