Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Yes, thats the dictionary definition of an anecdote, especially when I just cited you MIT, the US Federal Government, and PubChem as evidence you're wrong.
Funny you hate strawman being thrown out in the politics thread, but use them here. Imagine that. Water to kill bees = pelargonic acid and Roundup killing bees? Get real.

You posted government links.....they must be true!!

Your links are about chemical #1 or chemical #2. But *of course* you're forgetting that I'm talking about chemical #1 MIXED with chemical #2 and chemical #3 (a sticker) and "inert ingredients" as well. For you to act like we can mix multiple chemicals together that are initially harmless and not get something that will kill is just ignorant. Beyond ignorant in the science thread.

I've been using Roundup and pelargonic acid and it's "inert ingredents" for 18 years, virtually every day, and been in the business for about 23 years. Thousands upon thousands of gallons used for killing weeds. We learned pretty fast that we can spray bees, hornets, and wasp nests with it and they die. Not from drowning! I also know for a 100% fact that when it drips out of the sprayer nozzle onto the mower decks it will eat right through the paint down to bare metal in a couple weeks.

18 years, nearly every day, thousands of gallons. And you expect me to believe a pencil pusher that's never used it but posting "government" pages on just one chemical by itself when the stuff I'm talking about is a mixture of multiple chemicals? Okay. That's the exact thing Mike Rowe talks about in his shows: Pencil pushers reading and debating things they have never touched against people that have worked with it for decades and know exactly what it does.

Again, I don't give a rats ass whether it kills bees or causes baby kittens to chew their nuts off. I'm telling you my real world experience after using the mixture for nearly 2 decades.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Funny you hate strawman being thrown out in the politics thread, but use them here. Imagine that. Water to kill bees = pelargonic acid and Roundup killing bees? Get real.

You posted government links.....they must be true!!

Your links are about chemical #1 or chemical #2. But *of course* you're forgetting that I'm talking about chemical #1 MIXED with chemical #2 and chemical #3 (a sticker) and "inert ingredients" as well. For you to act like we can mix multiple chemicals together that are initially harmless and not get something that will kill is just ignorant. Beyond ignorant in the science thread.

I've been using Roundup and pelargonic acid and it's "inert ingredents" for 18 years, virtually every day, and been in the business for about 23 years. Thousands upon thousands of gallons used for killing weeds. We learned pretty fast that we can spray bees, hornets, and wasp nests with it and they die. Not from drowning! I also know for a 100% fact that when it drips out of the sprayer nozzle onto the mower decks it will eat right through the paint down to bare metal in a couple weeks.

18 years, nearly every day, thousands of gallons. And you expect me to believe a pencil pusher that's never used it but posting "government" pages on just one chemical by itself when the stuff I'm talking about is a mixture of multiple chemicals? Okay. That's the exact thing Mike Rowe talks about in his shows: Pencil pushers reading and debating things they have never touched against people that have worked with it for decades and know exactly what it does.

Again, I don't give a rats ass whether it kills bees or causes baby kittens to chew their nuts off. I'm telling you my real world experience after using the mixture for nearly 2 decades.
Notice how there isn't a shred of actual citations from credible scientific organizations in this reply?

Notice how you appeal to conspiracy theories like "The government said it so you just believe it! LOL Y U SO STUPID!"?

This is why you're wrong.

Doubling and tripling down on it now isn't helping you.

Cite credible sources based on peer reviewed evidence for your claim.

I'm telling you my real world experience after using the mixture for nearly 2 decades.
Apophenia and pareidolia are powerful narcotics on the human mind.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why do you use roundup to kill bees/wasps/hornet nests? Is this just incidental or is it just because it's available?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Sledge, I want you to understand why your "personal experience" argument is a terrible argument.

What is happening is your brain is seeing patterns in random data that do not actually represent what is happening in reality.

This is an evolutionarily beneficial trait in the environments humans evolved in, but it has become a hindrance to human progress in modernity.

The term for this phenomena is "apophenia".

That is what you are experiencing.

You see you spray something on something else. You later see that something else appears to have died. You then assume a causal linkage between the two events, because that is what the human mind evolved to do: Find connections between random pieces of data.

That's why we rely on the rigors of scientific inquiry to determine how valid a causal linkage there may be in an observed phenomena. Because our minds can fool us.

That's why we rely on government bureaus which were formed and constructed to look at the weight of the evidence and reach conclusions based on that evidence from that rigorous scientific study.

There's a great episode of Penn and Teller's Bullshit that pretty well demonstrates the flaws in this thinking. I believe its the GMO episode, but its been so damn long I can't remember for certain.

Anyway, now that you are aware that this is what is happening, your brain is perceiving patterns of data in random sets of data, you can stop thinking that personal experience is some sort of argument for anything. Its not.

Every Christian on the planet has a "personal experience" story with their magic wizard.

Doesn't make their magic wizard any less imaginary.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Why do you use roundup to kill bees/wasps/hornet nests? Is this just incidental or is it just because it's available?
In landscaping you run across a decent amount of wasp nests, yellow jackets, bees, etc. If you're spraying weeds right next to some, it's bound to get tried. It's not like we hunt them down or anything like that.

Some guys are saying RoundUp can't kill bees, but what they should be saying is glyphosate or pelargonic acid can't kill them. That's true. But there are different types of RoundUp like liquid and even granular or commercial/residential that don't just use one of those chemicals. I'll try to go through this quickly in the next post, but bare with me so I can explain because it's kind of interesting. And no, I'm far from being a tree hugger.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
I believe when most people hear the word RoundUp (especially so far in this thread) they're only thinking of glyphosate. That was all RoundUp used to be and what people still assume when they hear the brand name. But over the years there have been other chemicals mixed with it in different blends of Roundup that will kill bees and other bugs. Oils, acids, "stickers" and other additives put in to change how glyphosate works.

About 18-20 years ago some landscapers started using Roundup with very small amount of Scythe mixed in to get quicker weed kills. Scythe is pelargonic acid and some oils. This showed effects in literally 1 hour by wilting the plant and allowing the absorption to be quicker. The oil in it helped make it rainfast in case it started to sprinkle after you left the property. RoundUp got news of this mixture and came out with it's own similar blend of same chemicals about 16-18 yrs ago. My company had 25-28 employees and did all commercial accounts and had all licenses. A commercial distributor called Lesco (now owned by John Deere) was given batches of this new RoundUp for trials in the field. We were given enough to make about 300 gallons and asked to report back to Lesco on how it worked.

This new commercial Roundup was very powerful. You could spray clover on a parking lot and by the time you got around the building back to where you started, the clover was already wilted in like 10 minutes, like wilted lettuce! On hotter days around 90 degrees the mixture would actually start to gel up in the sprayer into what looked like diluted mayonnaise, or shampoo. The sprayer pretty much couldn't spray it and would just sputter out thick white gel. The strange thing is that once it cooled down under about 90 degrees or so, the gel went back to liquid again. Some guys put the sprayer in the truck with the A/C and by the time they got to the next location, it was usable liquid, not gel. I can promise you 100% that when it was still a sprayable jelly it did indeed kill entire wasp nests with ease. The gel stuck to them and they were dead in less than an hour right under the nest.

We told Lesco about how powerful it was at killing weeds, and the gelling problem, but never brought up how we sprayed wasps because there wasn't much reason to. Probably 8 months later, maybe longer, RoundUp put out the same basic commercial product and the Lesco distributor said they fixed the gelling problem which my understanding had to do with the strength of the acid in it. By the way, this was pelargoni acid (same as Scythe mentioned above). We started using the new RoundUp every day. They also made a granular form that was slightly different and sold in pouches.

The new mixture wasn't as strong, but it would still gel up maybe 50% when it got really hot, like 95+ degrees. Because we were now using this new mixture all the time, more things become apparent. Two guys had a bad looking infection on their index fingers. On the first guy his finger was red and peeling really bad. I thought it was nail fungus, but it kept getting worse. He went to the doctor and the doc said it wasn't fungus. Turns out his sprayer had a leaky gasket and was getting a little on his finger and basically eating away the skin. Fixed the sprayer, finger healed up. Happened to the next guy and we knew what it was immediately. As mentioned in the other post, the sprayer holders were next to the front mowers and the nozzle hung over their decks. Trucks always get loaded the same way and within a few weeks the paint was bubbling up under the sprayer nozzles down to shiny metal. Keep in mind commercial mowers are designed to sit in the rain all day without any paint issues happening. The new blend also still killed wasps, but not like the previous stuff. You could spray them and some would fly away, but others couldn't and just walk around under the nest and slowly die without being sprayed again.

Here's what I think some of you guys are missing. Glyphosate or pelargonic acid won't kill bees by themselves. But when Monsanto mixes them together, THEN adds a surfactant sticker that significantly increases absorption on the target, THEN adds an oil to keep it stuck on the target to make it rainfast........it's no longer just glyphosate........but people will still call it "RoundUp". So yes, there are RoundUp mixtures that will kill bees, but it's not just glyphosate like some people must be thinking. I know residential can buy this same type of Roundup mixture, but I don't think it's as strong as the commercial blend. I could buy some and see though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That's not Roundup then, that's Roundup with a bunch of shit mixed in.

You're basically saying orange juice is toxic to humans because some people add arsenic to it.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
That's not fair at all Palum.

Roundup is a commercial herbicide produced in a factory. Glyphosate has, up until this point, been a chemical component of said commercial product. You do not get to point at a bottle of Roundup and declare what it is or is not. Only the owners of the Roundup company get to do that. I have no dog in this fight but Sledge's post is perfectly sensible and lucid.

Roundup could, tomorrow, declare that it no longer uses glyphosate and instead uses citrus oils and magic jelly beans, and it would still be Roundup.

Glyphosate can only be glyphosate. Roundup can be a soft drink if it wants to be.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
That's not Roundup then, that's Roundup with a bunch of shit mixed in.
No, that's glyphosate with a bunch of shit mixed in and still sold as RoundUp! That's what I'm trying to say. Maybe called RoundUp Pro Max, or something like that, but Monsanto sells it labelled as a RoundUp blend.

When you hear people saying RoundUp killed their bees, a lot of people call bullshit because they immediately assume it's simply just glyphosate (which won't kill bees). But RoundUp comes in different blends that have all kinds of other things mixed in. Still sold as RoundUp though.

RoundUp does not equal glyphosate. A lot of you guys are interchanging the two words.

Using your OJ analogy: If Tropicana sold orange juice with arsenic mixed in and called it Tropicana ProMax, it's still a Tropicana blend. If people said there's no way Tropicana can kill anything because it's just orange juice, well they'd be wrong because the new ProMax has tasty arsenic blended in. And the commercial version of it has double the arsenic for extra flavor and killing power.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Here's what I think some of you guys are missing. Glyphosate or pelargonic acid won't kill bees by themselves. But when Monsanto mixes them together, THEN adds a surfactant sticker that significantly increases absorption on the target, THEN adds an oil to keep it stuck on the target to make it rainfast........it's no longer just glyphosate........but people will still call it "RoundUp". So yes, there are RoundUp mixtures that will kill bees, but it's not just glyphosate like some people must be thinking. I know residential can buy this same type of Roundup mixture, but I don't think it's as strong as the commercial blend. I could buy some and see though.
Here's what you are missing:

There is not a single shred of scientific evidence to justify your conclusions.

And until there is, you're engaging in apophenia driven confirmation bias and nothing more.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When farmers talk about Roundup they mean glyphosate. Yeah there are a bunch of gardening products that say Roundup on the label and have who knows what in them but that's not what anyone's talking about when they discuss the merits of Roundup.

rrr_img_137183.jpg

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
And that's not all the different RoundUp blends either. There's also commercial mixtures. So when Joe Schmoe says RoundUp killed a bee, people can't just assume he's referring to plain old glyphosate by itself. Even Joe Schmoe might not realize other stuff was mixed in unless he says exactly what blend he used that happened to kill the bee.