Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Discovery of high geothermal heat at South Pole

Scientists have discovered an area near the South Pole where the base of the Antarctic Ice Sheet is melting unexpectedly quickly. Using radar to look through three km of ice, the team found that some of the ice – covering an area that's twice the size of Greater London – appeared to be missing. The results are published this week in the journal Scientific Reports.
The team believes the heat source is a combination of unusually radioactive rocks, and hot water coming from deep under the ground. This heat melts the base of the ice sheet, producing melt-water which drains away beneath the ice sheet filling sub glacial lakes downstream. The presence of this extra water may help lubricate the fast flowing ice in this area.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm always leery of deep conceptual misinterpretations (counter interpretations if we're being particularly open minded) of the observer principle. It veers into mysticism so quickly. And you -can- make a coherent argument for it. But it's not science as the claims tend to be unfalsifiable when you dig into their roots.

There's probably something to it but I expect that it will have more to do with cognitative process than physical process. In as much as they can be separated. It tends much more tword philosphy. Which is important. Not calling them hackfrauds.

Haven't watched that video though, it may NOT be what they're doing. Any time you have "conciousness effects..." though, it's going to be talking about the observer principle. Which is probably badly named to begin with.

In a real way, if you think about it, conciousness determines the result of every experiment we've ever done. But it's not a very useful way to think about it. Perfect objectivity is perfect ignorance in a very practical sense.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Feels like half my life I've been hearing about all the cool applications graphene will have some day

They always had cool uses for it but the primary issue was producing it cheaply. The manufacturing prices are starting to come down for at least small pieces of graphene and they're using it as a strong filler for things like concrete and carbon fiber. Now that we're starting to see people make money with it's uses should start to take off and the manufacturing processes begin to improve. When you compare it to something like steel you need 200,000x less (200x stronger, 1000x lighter) graphene than steel to replace it in construction which opens up all kinds of crazy shit from massive planes that barely weigh anything to buildings that could be miles high in the air.

I've even seen articles where you could use CO2 from the atmosphere to produce the stuff on site with just electricity or making it from the exhaust from CO2 emitting plants turning it into a carbon sink. It'll be revolutionary once we finish ironing out all the kinks.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Interesting article. It has pissed me off that a large part of the antibiotic resistance we are now facing is in large part due to overusage of them in livestock meat production. If throwing some plant oils into their feed nets the same or similar effect, then I hope that reduces the dependence on traditional antibiotics in that sector.

Essential Oils Might Be the New Antibiotics - The Atlantic

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users