Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Zero emission is one of the greatest scam ideas ever. Just ignore all the emissions released in manufacturing all the components of the boat, manufacturing the boat itself, as well as the emissions that will be released throughout the boats life time during maintenance and upgrades. Also ignore all the paint, oil and debris/load this boat will certainly deposit into the environment over its lifetime.
Common core math doesn't teach them to calculate things they way you do, bruh. Get with the times Boomer.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
A lot of jobs now that require a degree would have been called data entry jobs 25-30 years ago. Just enter it enter the computer, no idea why or what it does.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So they cant make the science work (still takes more energy in than it produces) but lets build the plant anyway. Clown World.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So they cant make the science work (still takes more energy in than it produces) but lets build the plant anyway. Clown World.

The "easiest" fusion designs dont really make any sense compared to nuclear power. You will need a nuclear reactor to produce half the fuel, the fusion reactor itself will still produce a bit of radiation so you will have to treat it just like a conventional nuclear plant and they still generate power the exact same way a nuclear reactor does; turning water into steam. You could probably build numerous nuclear power plants for the cost you will be dumping into building test bed fusion reactors that will never come close to generating power.

Heres a decent video going over the math behind them and why they are something we wont see working reactors for decades;

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
And Now We Know Why - Vox Popoli

A few years ago, in 2015, I presented evidence that strongly suggested that the rumors concerning Arthur C. Clarke being a pedophile were correct. However, the initial public reports by a reporter working for News of the World and the Sunday Mirror were never followed up on by the media and were subsequently dismissed as aberrations without anyone ever actually being refuted. Now we know why they never led anywhere.

The News of the World spiked an exclusive story exposing the science fiction writer Arthur C Clarke as a paedophile, according to a new book about life inside the newspaper whose closure was announced a year ago today.
In Hack, an account of his nerve-shredding days as a reporter on the News of the World and then the Sunday Mirror, Graham Johnson claims that although the NOTW prided itself on outing pederasts, editors made an exception for Mr Clarke because he was a friend of Rupert Murdoch.
Through BSkyB, the tycoon commercially exploited the futurologist’s theory that satellites would be ideal for communications and praised him in public. As a result, according to Mr Johnson, who by that time had been sacked by the NOTW and had joined the Sunday Mirror, a story by reporter Roger Insall about Mr Clarke’s alleged abuse of adolescent boys was never published for fear of upsetting the proprietor.
Tipped off about the story, the Sunday Mirror sent Mr Johnson to Colombo, where he extracted an confession from the author that he paid boys for sex. “I have never had the slightest interest in children – boys or girls. They should be treated in the same way. But once they have reached the age of puberty, then it is OK,” Mr Clarke was quoted as saying in the Sunday Mirror. “If the kids enjoy it and don’t mind it doesn’t do any harm … there is a hysteria about the whole thing in the West.”
Mr Clarke subsequently denied he was a paedophile, saying: “The allegations are wholly denied.” But he never sued the Sunday Mirror and died aged 90 at his Sri Lanka home in 2008.
Speaking to The Independent yesterday, Mr Johnson said: “Roger [Insall] said that because Arthur C Clarke was a mate of Rupert Murdoch, the editor wasn’t having any of it and despite Roger getting a lot of evidence that Clarke was a paedophile they wouldn’t publish it.”
It’s probably not a coincidence that Murdoch has himself been accused of harboring similar predilections.

Full disclosure: Castalia House publishes several Clarke stories in the THERE WILL BE WAR series. We will continue to publish them despite our belief in Mr. Clarke’s misdeeds because a) they are very good stories, b) I do not believe the work is inseparable from the author, and c) Mr. Clarke derives zero benefit from their publication.

In like manner, we will not refuse to publish H.P. Lovecraft because he is accused of racism, John C. Wright because he is accused of Catholicism, Vox Day because he is accused of white supremacism, or Owen Benjamin because he is accused of heightism, regardless of how substantive or insubstantial the accusations may be.

UPDATE: A reader writes about his experience meeting Mr. Clarke in Sri Lanka.

Very interesting post about Arthur C. Clarke. I actually met him in spring 1988 at his house in Colombo, Sri Lanka, where I found him simply by looking in the phone book, called the number, and he answered and invited me over straightaway. I was delighted to meet him, but very surprised to see something like ten to fifteen 11-year-olds running around the house like pets. I was 19 at the time, and made no question of it, just noted it in my head.

A few weeks later I met an expat living in Sri Lanka who said there were two reasons why Arthur C. Clarke moved to the remote island nation of Sri Lanka, the official reason, and the actual reason. The official reason: the sacred mountain was visible from space, and this was where the aliens would land when they came to earth, and he didn’t want to miss it. The actual reason: loads of 11-year-old boys, and very little legal consequence for taking advantage of them. He said that “everyone” in Sri Lanka knew this, but nobody talked about it except in knowing smirks and nods.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
smirks and nods.
jjGFhtnt_400x400.jpg

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We are hitting the point in our civilization that we have to ask ourselves, is the human species responsible enough to control the shit its creating. The honest answer is no. We will be responsible for wiping ourselves out one day. And we always thought it would be nukes. Nope.

• 2Like
  • 2Mother of God
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 4 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
We are hitting the point in our civilization that we have to ask ourselves, is the human species responsible enough to control the shit its creating. The honest answer is no. We will be responsible for wiping ourselves out one day. And we always thought it would be nukes. Nope.

Grey Goo take the wheel!

and I guess all the matter around it too.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

I felt like the headline was miss-leading, but reading the actual article the team calls it AI too. So read their paper and looked into what they do. It super weird for sure.

They take baby tadpole eggs and rip them apart way before they are done developing. Then they splatter their stem cells all over a pitri dish and let these bastardized and critically wounded tadpole embryo blobs free to see what they do. Give them a few days and their heart starts beating and they start to quasimoto their way around the dish. They then for some reason gobble up stem cells in their death juice. Instead of developing further they create a duplicate to help them blob around the dish until they both die.

It's fucking weird and metal in some ways, but this could theoretically happen on its own in nature I really fail to understand how this is a bot or AI at all. Here's what they look like.

wooops.png

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Glad to see that the screenshots forum is doing its part to keep the board members healthy

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity