Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

iannis

Musty Nester
Man, I see stuff like that and I'm constantly looking for the hoax.

Gettin old bros. They'd best be naming the prototype the USS Roddenberry.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9B815620131209

Scientists have found evidence of an ancient freshwater lake on Mars well suited to support microbial life, the researchers said Monday.

The lake, located inside Gale Crater where the rover landed in August 2012, likely covered an area 31 miles long and 3 miles wide, though its size varied over time.

Analysis of sedimentary deposits gathered by NASA's Mars rover Curiosity shows the lake existed for at least tens of thousands of years, and possibly longer, geologist John Grotzinger, with the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, told reporters at the American Geophysical Union conference in San Francisco.

"We've come to appreciate that is a habitable system of environments that includes the lake, the associated streams and, at times when the lake was dry, the groundwater," he said.

Analysis of clays drilled out from two rock samples in the area known as Yellowknife Bay show the freshwater lake existed at a time when other parts of Mars were dried up or dotted with shallow, acidic, salty pools ill-suited for life.

In contrast, the lake in Gale Crater could have supported a simple class of rock-eating microbes, known as chemolithoautotrophs, which on Earth are commonly found in caves and hydrothermal vents on the ocean floor, Grotzinger said.

Scientists also reported that the clays, which form in the presence of water, were younger than expected, a finding that expands the window of time for when Mars may have been suited for life.

Previous studies from Mars orbiters, landers and rovers have provided increasing evidence for a warmer, wetter, more Earth-like Mars in the planet's past. Ancient rocks bear telltale chemical fingerprints of past interactions with water.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Talking about fucking with math until it all accidentally falls in place:
Simulations back up theory that Universe is a hologram : Nature News Comment
There was actually a Ted talk about another theory that supposedly now explains gravity with only 10 dimensions. Where the universe as we know it is quantized, so our 3rd perception is actually like little structures all coming together that matter can move through seamlessly. But there is "space" between these structures. We don't notice it because one atom is far larger than the structures, so it always occupies at least one, and we can perceive it if it does. But the reason we see things like quantum tunneling is actually because quantum particles are small enough to exist momentarily outside of a one of these quantized pieces of space.

Anyway, the big aspect of the theory was that when energy crushes these packets together or pushes them apart, you get the phenomenon we see like gravity. So gravity is just a natural product of space bending (As Einstein said) but by looking at it like this, it also explains the quantum stuff.

I have no idea if it's bullshit or not, but it was an interesting Ted talk, as a layman, it felt pretty plausible.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've never seen any explanation of gravity that I can understand that describes how the moon is impacted by the earth (Or any planetary bodies that are hundreds of thousands of miles away)

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I've never seen any explanation of gravity that I can understand that describes how the moon is impacted by the earth (Or any planetary bodies that are hundreds of thousands of miles away)
43934026.jpg

fucker_sl

shitlord
take the formula for gravity created by Newton

p1612.gif

and do some test. You will see that no matter how far, gravity will always influence an object. It's a formula that can't reach "zero".

the Earth/moon system. The Solar system. Our own galaxy. The Virgo supercluster of galaxies we are part of.....it doesnt matter. Gravity is felt. Even at millions of light years away

Even you, in this very istant, are having effect on the Andromeda galaxy for example. However, you low mass and the huge distance makes this force impossibly small

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
take the formula for gravity created by Newton

p1612.gif

and do some test. You will see that no matter how far, gravity will always influence an object. It's a formula that can't reach "zero".

the Earth/moon system. The Solar system. Our own galaxy. The Virgo supercluster of galaxies we are part of.....it doesnt matter. Gravity is felt. Even at millions of light years away

Even you, in this very istant, are having effect on the Andromeda galaxy for example. However, you low mass and the huge distance makes this force impossibly small
I haven't watched Lithose video yet but let me be very specific in what I mean. The equation you brought up describes the way in which gravity affects objects but it doesn't describe why.

I get why when I push a pencil it moves because at some level my hand's molecules are bumping into the pencil's molecules. I don't understand the physics that cause that pencil to be drawn to my hand without me touching it. It's as if there are nearly infinite strings factorially attached to every particle in the universe, pulling them to one another. But there are no strings. At least none that we know of. That shit blows my mind.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The exact why hasn't been figured out yet. I believe that's the last piece of the quantum puzzle and why the Higgs boson is so important. Confirmation of this boson will explain how gravitational force is transmitted.

<-----Not a physicist, I understand maybe 1% of this shit.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, at this point the answer to that question is basically either "Because" or "It's a primal force, yo". Sometimes that's a good enough answer tbh, not all knowledge is relevant or even worthwhile. But in this case it is not good enough as there are observable phenomena which are completely inexplicable and an understanding what the fuck is going on will necessarily result in a better understanding of what the fuck is going on if not an improved mastery of the subject of study. Hopefully the 2nd part too but the 1st part is the more important bit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I will continue to assume that understanding why gravity works will result in flying saucer technology.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The way that the boson particle was described to me made sense. Imagine a room full of people strewn about. Now imagine if a movie star or the president walks in, so all the other people are drawn to him.