Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I'm not saying a few lines of text in a comment made me believe that, but some of shit he's saying makes sense with what little knowledge of physics I have.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's Intelligent Design for agnostics. By itself not a stupid thing to think or a wrong thing to think. There is truly wonder and magic in the world -- it persists despite our best efforts to eradicate it. Something is fuckinggoing on. And if the idea stops there, as a testimony of wonder, then it's a good thing. A very good thing.

But you try to put a point on that idea and it gets real stupid and real wrong real fast. Not "too fine a point". Any point at all. That indicates that what you're dealing with is metaphor, not truth.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I see the simulation thing as an explanation of shit we don't understand. Once we understand quantum physics better, gravity better, and can visit more than our sad little world, the answers will come to us. And somehow I doubt "simulation" or "god did it" will be among those answers.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
Someone is playing marbles with universes...

Look_at_the_Reflection.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
As a programmer who is currently supposed to be working on robotics simulation software that description made total sense to me. Not in, "By jove he's right, this MUST be a simulation!" sort of way but in a, "Huh, that's exactly the kind of shit I'm dealing with right now." sort of way.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also one difference between Theism and belief that we're in a computer simulation is that if one believes they're in a computer simulation they're still bounded by natural and ordered constraints. (Unless they also believe that the admin is constantly mucking about, which is indistinguishable from theism at that point).

More interestingly one would also believe that if we're in a simulation that it's possible to exploit the system. If only we could bunny hop skillfully enough or find the right combinations of moves and timing to dupe or send/sniff the right packets we could control the simulation like any other law or force or entity. The kind of researching going on into quantum mechanics and finding how things break down at small levels is probably just a different avenue of physics and information, but with how awkward things are it's at least a little indicative of simulation.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
7 is worded oddly.
my first response was no. but caught myself.

Two XX chromosomes can't make a male. a male child can only come from the fathers Y.
The SRY gene on the Y chromosome.
"
Fathers genes can also make FEMALE children too though. So I think the wording is backwards. A male childs sex is determined by the fathers gene: true of false" would cause less confusion.

Of course a few others have some technicalities too. Sun is moved by the Earth and other gravity wells. The actual orbit of the Earth is not the sun, but instead the gravimetric center of the solar system. Which moves, and so do the Sun itself. Also the speed of Gravity is the speed of light, so we are actually orbiting around the point where the gravimetric center was 8.5 minutes ago or so.
It isn't worded oddly at all. Which ever sex chromosome the sperm donates to the zygote determines the sex of the child.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A simulation in which the thing being simulated knows its being simulated doesnt sound like a very good simulation.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I disagree, it sounds like an amazing simulation if what's being simulated is so complex that the simulation itself becomes self aware.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
A simulation in which the thing being simulated knows its being simulated doesnt sound like a very good simulation.
idk, lucid dreaming is pretty fun. Whoever invents the drug/technology/whatever that can put you into lucid dreaming dependably is going to be one extremely rich fucker.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why? If my simulated robot were to stop in the middle of my test, ignore all my navigational and user input and start driving tracks into the ground that said, "This is bullshit." I'd be fucking amazed. Then I'd delete whatever subroutine cropped up that stopped me from getting shit done.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Why? If my simulated robot were to stop in the middle of my test, ignore all my navigational and user input and start driving tracks into the ground that said, "This is bullshit." I'd be fucking amazed. Then I'd delete whatever subroutine cropped up that stopped me from getting shit done.
Because this is nothing more than a bong hit thought of "hey man what if the matrix was real??". Saying we are a simulation is as stupid as saying Jesus died and rose from the dead 3 days later.

Animale

Trakanon Raider
Hi everybody,
I'm taking part in the #Scifund Challenge hosted by the science crowdsourcing website experiment.com. The project is entitled ?What?s in that new TV Screen? Toward ?greener? OLED?s at NC State Chemistry.?http://www.experiment.com/NCSU_OLED. My project aims to raise funds to help assist in developing our discovery of a new, simple method for making the types of molecules used in leading-edge OLED technologies. Please have a look to get an idea about this new project underway in my lab at NC State!

Experiment.com was recently featured in the Wall Street Journal?s ?Venture Capital? section, where they discuss the idea of crowdsourcing science in more detail.
http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/...ence-research/

Anyway, if you could give it a look-see I'd appreciate it, more clicks = more opportunities for me to tell folks about what my laboratory is doing. Also, if you'd consider supporting it that would be cool as well - we've already reached our "goal" but we get to use the excess to further our research goals, and quite frankly this money will go to a better place than if you gave it to Brad McQuaid.

Thanks!

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
So you believe you are a computer program? Or am I stupid for mocking the beliefs of something with a phd in mathematics and thus I am surely an idiot for questioning such a brilliant individual.?

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
So you believe you are a computer program? Or am I stupid for mocking the beliefs of something with a phd in mathematics and thus I am surely an idiot for questioning such a brilliant individual.?
You are stupid for equating this to something as simple as saying "what if the matrix is real" while smoking pot. One is a question when you are high, the simulation theory being talked about isn't people just getting high and wondering out loud, there are coincidences in nature that has lead people down that path. Yes I believe they are just that, coincident.

I could link you a ton of things that discuss what they are talking about from very well respected scientist, the theory isn't just some "what if the matrix was real" bullshit, I think its a bunk theory that isn't true but it has its merits and much more so than anything as stupid as your fucking comment about it.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
You are stupid for equating this to something as simple as saying "what if the matrix is real" while smoking pot. One is a question when you are high, the simulation theory being talked about isn't people just getting high and wondering out loud, there are coincidences in nature that has lead people down that path. Yes I believe they are just that, coincident.

I could link you a ton of things that discuss what they are talking about from very well respected scientist, the theory isn't just some "what if the matrix was real" bullshit, I think its a bunk theory that isn't true but it has its merits and much more so than anything as stupid as your fucking comment about it.
And there are MDs who believe vaccinations cause autism. I dont need to have an MD myself to know those doctors are full of shit and are idiots.