Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

iannis

Musty Nester
I've read about the measles thing before. That's not the first time I've seen that. Its most relevant in trying to find delivery systems for treatment, I think. Not for pumping people full of measles.

the article_sl said:
Two multiple myeloma patients were chosen because they are immune-compromised, and can't fight off the measles before it has time to attack cancer.
That part is incredibly important and really why you can't just flood someone with measles and expect them to be cured.

But it's really fucking good news for those two, and it's a promising attribute to study with an eye to utilize.

Rime

<Donor>
cells.png
So, what you are saying, is that I should be ingesting handguns instead of garlic to stay healthy?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
No you idiot, bullets have lead in them and lead is poisonous. You need to be injecting galric that is infused with lead.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, it's good news for the hopeless. In a lot of way cancer is a failure of the immune system.

But you don't cure spiders with snakes either. That's not exactly there yet. I would imagine (but do not know) it is a specific and limited range of cancers that it works on.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
This could make pork prices even higher.http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0E811N20140528

An Indiana farm has become the first to confirm publicly it suffered a second outbreak of a deadly pig virus, fueling concerns that a disease that has wiped out 10 percent of the U.S. hog population will be harder to contain than producers and veterinarians expected.

The farm, through its veterinarian, publicly acknowledged on Tuesday a repeat incident of Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea virus (PEDv), which has killed up to 7 million pigs and pushed pork prices to record highs since it was first identified in the United States a year ago.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
20 in years in the future your cars are being hacked and told to drive to the hackers house.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The best part about these cars will be how they will reduce traffic jams in the future. I remember watching an MIT presentation about the mathematical principle behind a single brake light being able to cause a traffic jam due to human response delay building exponentially on a crowded highway. Imagine cars that don't suffer from that; or that precisely time travel through intersections so you don't need stop lights, because the cars can number themselves for the exchange. Obviously that's beyond this first concept, but that's the "real" future of this technology; and it could solve a lot of our infrastructure needs by simply removing waste brought on by our bad driving habits.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The best part about these cars will be how they will reduce traffic jams in the future. I remember watching an MIT presentation about the mathematical principle behind a single brake light being able to cause a traffic jam due to human response delay building exponentially on a crowded highway. Imagine cars that don't suffer from that; or that precisely time travel through intersections so you don't need stop lights, because the cars can number themselves for the exchange. Obviously that's beyond this first concept, but that's the "real" future of this technology; and it could solve a lot of our infrastructure needs by simply removing waste brought on by our bad driving habits.
I think cars that would all start accelerating at the same time rather than a 5+ second delay between each car starting to go would relieve a shitload of gridlock all on its own. I seriously want to punch someone in the dick when I see the light turn green, stay green for 60 seconds, go red again, and 10 seconds later the cars in front of me start to move forward and then obviously stop again.

Why didn't everyone start going when it turned green? Fucking lemmings.

iannis

Musty Nester
Its kinda like 20 million taxi cabs.

I assume that there has to be physical work done on the roads themselves and the cars aren't just working off of proprietary software and the latest update of googlemaps. Do a public rollout in some of our larger cities, give it a decade to improve the tech, address the inevitable and unforseeable safety and security concerns (which is where some sort of physical infrastructure work would come in, I guess)... and let it grow.

it doesn't sound like abadidea.

I'll miss driving, but I won't miss drunk drivers.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You'd have to remove all people from the road to truly realize their benefits. But *FREEDOM* ect ect would make people want to never let that happen. Without people, though, you could in theory remove all stop lights/signs and the cars could communicate with each other. Criss/cross traffic weaving through intersections no problem.

It'd completely change the way traffic works

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The required spatial tolerance for autonomous navigation in a chaotic system like heavy traffic will almost certainly be higher than an average driver.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
What I personally think is likely to happen is that certain major highways and freeways will at some point in the future become "autonomous only", so that they can handle significantly higher traffic counts while improving safety. I would imagine that a highway with only computer controlled cars on it could handle several times more traffic than one with idiots behind the wheel, and accidents would pretty much drop to zero. I do enjoy driving to some extent, but on the other hand it would be pretty awesome to be able to kick back and read a book or take a nap when driving for several hours or longer to visit another city or recreation spot, as is common for many North Americans. I don't even care if I don't get there any faster, because I'm still getting a few hours back that would otherwise be wasted.

Are you a freedom loving jackass that refuses to let the computer takeover? That's cool, you get to take backroads and secondary highways full of assholes like yourself. Have fun taking twice as long to get your destination, and having an exponentially higher chance of getting your ass killed.

I would imagine that once the automated highways have been implemented for a decade or two, not driving on them will become the equivalent of not wearing seat belts. People will think that you are an idiot for not making use of them.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
It wouldn't surprise me to see autonomous trucks before anything else. The cost savings there I believe would be massive. AI truck that can join a truck chain for maximum fuel savings and doesn't need medical, benefits, pay bonuses or anything but a engineer to handle maintenance for several dozen of them. Problem is the things would still use gas. Now when they become hydrogen powered trucks or something with automated hydrogen truck refueling stations then all bets are off.

Even if you didn't want an AI truck navigating city streets you could still have the trucks do the majority of continental driving and then park at a safe pickup spot right off the highway for local drivers to take over for local delivery. For those local governments who would be skeptical of the trucks ability to navigate high congestion areas.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Its kinda like 20 million taxi cabs.

I assume that there has to be physical work done on the roads themselves and the cars aren't just working off of proprietary software and the latest update of googlemaps. Do a public rollout in some of our larger cities, give it a decade to improve the tech, address the inevitable and unforseeable safety and security concerns (which is where some sort of physical infrastructure work would come in, I guess)... and let it grow.

it doesn't sound like abadidea.

I'll miss driving, but I won't miss drunk drivers.
Lawyers are going to love these things. Who gets sued the first time someone gets run over by one of these, or it goes into the back of a car? Or a whole convoy of these things take a wrong turn and deposit their passengers in the river because the satellite map thinks it's a road?