Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
All corporations aren't the same. Even if every politician was literally just the spokesman for a corporation and had zero control over what they said, it would still be important to make a choice that mattered between them.

In practice of course, corporations have nowhere near that kind of control. So throwing away your vote on some 3rd party is silly.
Not if I don't give a fuck between the R's and D's which I don't. They are in lockstep on the issues that are most important to me. I'm not really interested in abortion or gay marriage.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
What if there isn't even a third party to vote for on the ballot which happens a lot where I'm at? I'm sure me abstaining will really teach those dirty R's and D's a lesson!

The Master

Bronze Squire
That obviously isn't going to happen so why don't you just stop being a condescending douche fuck?
Not sure why that is obvious. It'll take up some of his free time and he'll learn some valuable things. We have an election coming up (though one of the first things you learn is that there is ALWAYS an election coming up in the minds of politicians and their staffs). And it isn't hard to volunteer, campaigns are always short staffed. If anything if he actually cares about the issue, the obvious thing is that he would volunteer.

Unrelated:

Fingertip sensor gives robot unprecedented dexterity -- ScienceDaily

Is really cool.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What if there isn't even a third party to vote for on the ballot which happens a lot where I'm at? I'm sure me abstaining will really teach those dirty R's and D's a lesson!
I just write in Ross Perot.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Black holes. They can't happen.

Don't we actually have images of what are believed to be black holes?

Researcher shows that black holes do not exist
No direct images. Sagitarius A is pretty convincing proof that there is ~something~ massive that we cant see though, and the label for this place of extremely dense mass is a black hole. I mean, you may not believe the specific ideas of how black holes work, fine, but disputing the fact that black holes exist is really really stupid. Her paper showing that black holes cant exist with her understanding of physics only proves her understanding of physics is wrong, not anything about the natural order of the world.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I just don't like that she doesn't even offer a hypothesis about what might be in the centers of galaxies if indeed there are no black holes. It seems like instead of trying to find out an actual answer, she was more focused on finding something to very loosely tie together the two theories. The headline is just click bait; she didn't even submit her "findings" to a peer review.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
The best evidence for a stellar black hole is in the system:Cygnus X-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

And galactic supermassive black holes are also very well established. (Nobody really knows how they are formed though)

I don't think she's trying to say black holes don't exist, instead she's trying to say that collapsing stars can't make them. Although, that begs the question of what does form them instead.

iannis

Musty Nester
Well, the event horizon is the boundary where our conception and model of physics breaks down into uselessness. So in a way you can say black holes cannot exist within our model of physics (which is generally what "the math all just becomes infinities" actually means), and be kind of correct. But not really. That's a philosophical question though, not a scientific one.

I've read enough offhand laymans physics pop-culture shit to know that the one and ONLY thing any cosmologist can say conclusively about black holes is that the geodesic becomes so warped within the swartzschild radius that what reality exists within that radius is, literally, incomprehensible to us for now. Further, approaching that limit on the near side quickly devolves into nonsense. Hence the entire reason (beyond being crippled) that Stephen Hawking is a physics superstar. He unraveled one small knot.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The event horizon isn't where physics breaks down, is it? I thought the actual point of singularity was. Event horizons are just the point-of-no-return from the massive gravity.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Now that you mention it, "light (you know, THE* universal constant thus far) can't even go fast enough to do its one single constant thing past this radius" seems to be a pretty good place to draw the line which our previous understanding of physical laws breaks completely. Not saying that I know wtf I'm talking about, but maybe there's sufficient theory and observed data nowadays to make the 100% theoretical mathematical concept of an infinitely dense singularity as obsolete as the ?ther?