Scottish Independence

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've got a few Scottish friends, all of whom are military or ex military (who aren't allowed to vote in the referendum) and every one of them says very few people they know are interested in splitting from the UK. Up until a couple of weeks ago no one was interested in this at all, but then all of a sudden it was all over the papers.

Szlia

It should be mentioned that banks and investors shying away from a potentially independent Scotland is not indicative that an independent Scotland will fail in their eyes, it just means there is uncertainty, which is something most banks and investors shy away from.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've got a few Scottish friends, all of whom are military or ex military (who aren't allowed to vote in the referendum) and every one of them says very few people they know are interested in splitting from the UK. Up until a couple of weeks ago no one was interested in this at all, but then all of a sudden it was all over the papers.
Another example of how England is screwing over Scotland. Scottish units are forced to live in England because those Scottish units can't have their Barracks HQ in Scotland.... Gee, I wonder how soldiers who are forced to relocate away from home would vote.

Also: It's absolutely true because it's written in the Daily Mail.

Well I bank with NatWest who fall under the umbrella of Royal Bank of Scotland, who have already said they'll bemoving their base of operations to Londonif the independence vote goes ahead.
The RBS also happens to be one of the big gambling banks which burned billions in the financial fallout of 2007. London currently owns 84% of the RBS, so this is not really a surprise they'd speak against the Independence.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Also: It's absolutely true because it's written in the Daily Mail.
No, it's true because the people I know personally said that's the case. As much as I dislike using the Mail as a source, their core facts (or at least the headline) in this case are correct.

Flank_sl

shitlord
If not residency, how do you want us to decide who gets to vote? Scottish people do not have separate citizenship. Should it be done by place of birth, so that a scot living in Antarctica can vote?

Also, why would soldiers who were forced to relocate vote yes? They willingly joined the British armed forces and would of always known that could mean moving to any British base in the world.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If not residency, how do you want us to decide who gets to vote? Scottish people do not have separate citizenship. Should it be done by place of birth, so that a scot living in Antarctica can vote?

Also, why would soldiers who were forced to relocate vote yes? They willingly joined the British armed forces and would of always known that could mean moving to any British base in the world.
I just find it odd that Scottish units even with "Scot" in their names would be based in London or Tidworth.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I just find it odd that Scottish units even with "Scot" in their names would be based in London or Tidworth.
That is what happens when another country controls your destiny. Germany should know all about that.

Flank_sl

shitlord
Most of those units would of been created and named decades or even hundreds of years ago. Bases have been created and/or moved in that time, or the military might need to locate those units elsewhere. There are bases in Scotland, but they will not be full of Scottish people only because we have a British military, not English and Scottish militaries.

Flank_sl

shitlord
That is what happens when another country controls your destiny. Germany should know all about that.
But the UK is not another country, the UK is the country which Scotland is part of.

This is one of the strange things about our country. Some people think of themselves as Scottish, English or Welsh while other people are just British. It really comes down to what you think a country is. To me a county is a nation state, which neither England or Scotland have been for hundreds of years.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ironically, England and Scotland are united because the English royal family was infertile so the Scottish royal family took over being related via a cousin.

He's basically asking where the stupid white trash live. Based on my limited visit to England, the closest demographic I could recognize were the soccer hooligans.
Yes, Football hooligans. To be fair, they infest the entire country. Every city has a white trash area, this includes the scottish ones and the northern/southern english ones. I don't know WTF Jait is talking about.

depending how you categorize influence you can already say about 1/2 of the british laws passed originate in brussels in some form.
They make ALOT of trade laws.

Well, now I'm confused since Chris said "Yes". Chris/Quin please Braveheart this out for us so I'm not forced to pollute my mind by reading the Guardian/BBC to educate myself on the subject.
Germany and UK both have currencies which they control and are doing well, so we are both correct. The problem is all the shitty countries sharing Germany's currency or having no control over it, which you all saw on the news with the crisises a year or two ago.

While Wales has a very different relationship with England than either the Irish or the Scots ever did I can't help but think that if the Scots break off then there will be calls in Wales to separate as well. They already have a strong cultural separation in the form of the language which you see on signs all over the place and was quite a wake-up call when entering Cardiff.
Scotland has a hundred or so miles of wilderness between it's heartland (Edinburgh/Glasgow) and the heart of the north of England (Manchester/Liverpool/Leeds/Sheffield). Wales is quite closly linked to England with them giving stupid Welsh names to the English border towns. I lived in Bristol for a few years which is within commute distance of Cardiff and if you want to drive from south Wales to north Wales, it's faster to drive through England and go around all the mountains. Half of all Welsh people I meet sound English, you just have the hardcore sheep fuckers in the mountain valleys pretneding to speak welsh, ruining road signs and soaking up welfare.

I don't think that independence would be possible for Wales, they are too English.

Silence_sl

shitlord
But the UK is not another country, the UK is the country which Scotland is part of.

This is one of the strange things about our country. Some people think of themselves as Scottish, English or Welsh while other people are just British. It really comes down to what you think a country is. To me a county is a nation state, which neither England or Scotland have been for hundreds of years.
David Coulthard, ex F1 driver, was thought of as being Scottish when he was losing, and British when he was winning.

Chris

Potato del Grande
David Coulthard, ex F1 driver, was thought of as being Scottish when he was losing, and British when he was winning.
I think that is just an urban legend. English people generally support Scottish teams/atheletes, the sterotype is the Scottish not supporting English teams.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Aside from that whole civil war dust up a few years ago, you don't see Americans being so provincial. People certainly like their states (especially those in the south) but we are all Americans first, really. After hundreds of years of interbreeding, how can there still really be enough sentiment that the Scots want to separate from the English?

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Aside from that whole civil war dust up a few years ago, you don't see Americans being so provincial. People certainly like their states (especially those in the south) but we are all Americans first, really.
This only happened because of the civil war in america, it was a lot more common to have a perception to think of yourself as citizens of states first and federal second. around then we changed from "these united states', to "the united states", this is a fundamental problem with the eu as constructed in general, they think of themselves as independent states.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
This only happened because of the civil war before that people thought of themselves as citizens of states first and federal second, "these united states', not "the united states". THis is a fundamental problem with the eu in general they still think of themselves in the pre civil war america mentality.
Well in their defense it is hard for all these countries to shift from individual nationalism when you have a thousand plus year history waging war with your neighbors.