Sea of Thieves (PC / Xbone)

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I will say, it is absolutely fun as fuck, and it's less than 20% of the actual game.

Source? I played in the Alpha and other then a few more skelly mobs on islands I see no new content added. I figured in the Alpha that it was just to test core functionality which is solid. But if there isn't further content to keep someone coming back this game is very shallow. It also suffers from being super shitty solo, a crew of two is okay but still suffers from too many ship jobs for too few crew.

There are also combat issues. If you are chasing someone, they can have a person jump overboard, and as you sail by grab onto and climb your ladder. Your on a ship sailing and out of no where you get shot/chopped down by someone on your ship melee'ing you to death. It feels dirty and shitty. Sword fighting is simplistic, gun fire is super basic. You can super grief people by boarding their ship, grabbing a chest, jumping overboard, dropping it, and repeating. This also makes allowing your ship to be public access super bad, as trolls can do the same to their own crew's ship.

The first night my roommate and I played, I stayed in character as a Pirate for 4 straight hours. I wish I had recorded it for post NDA uploading. It was one of the most hilarious gaming experiences of my life.

I really want this game to be good, I love pirate stuff, the vibe is right and its gorgeous with that WoW animation style that lets it run like butter while looking great. But I'm not seeing the advancement from Alpha to Beta that reassures me they have a real game on their hands. They have an amazing environment, and it will be fun for a few multi hour play sessions, but it will get boring REALLY quick.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Source? Watch their YouTube videos, they outline a ton of stuff that's not in the game as it exists now. The open beta is still an alpha build. This is always a questionable marketing decision, we'll see how it hurts/helps the actual release by not letting players experience the full game during open beta.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Source? I played in the Alpha and other then a few more skelly mobs on islands I see no new content added. I figured in the Alpha that it was just to test core functionality which is solid. But if there isn't further content to keep someone coming back this game is very shallow. It also suffers from being super shitty solo, a crew of two is okay but still suffers from too many ship jobs for too few crew.

There are also combat issues. If you are chasing someone, they can have a person jump overboard, and as you sail by grab onto and climb your ladder. Your on a ship sailing and out of no where you get shot/chopped down by someone on your ship melee'ing you to death. It feels dirty and shitty. Sword fighting is simplistic, gun fire is super basic. You can super grief people by boarding their ship, grabbing a chest, jumping overboard, dropping it, and repeating. This also makes allowing your ship to be public access super bad, as trolls can do the same to their own crew's ship.

The first night my roommate and I played, I stayed in character as a Pirate for 4 straight hours. I wish I had recorded it for post NDA uploading. It was one of the most hilarious gaming experiences of my life.

I really want this game to be good, I love pirate stuff, the vibe is right and its gorgeous with that WoW animation style that lets it run like butter while looking great. But I'm not seeing the advancement from Alpha to Beta that reassures me they have a real game on their hands. They have an amazing environment, and it will be fun for a few multi hour play sessions, but it will get boring REALLY quick.

I remember some of this. There are 3 factions. The gold one they are playing in this beta run. The magical voodoo bitches who are about collecting magical shit and the trade union guys who are about breeding goats and shit.

However, despite that being more content I do not know how relevant it is because unless you can progress to something else beyond, "more advanced goat breeding/gold fetching/magic skeleton missions" then the game does have a distinct lack of substance.

Like if you're grinding just to... grind more? Yeah that's going to be a problem.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Like if you're grinding just to... grind more? Yeah that's going to be a problem.

But you're grinding so you can buy better ships and weapons. Also to get access to more dangerous sea lanes / monsters. Oh wait no you're not you're grinding so you can buy a cosmetic hat.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
But you're grinding so you can buy better ships and weapons. Also to get access to more dangerous sea lanes / monsters. Oh wait no you're not you're grinding so you can buy a cosmetic hat.

The admiral bucket is more efficient....lol

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Spent half an hour on an island looking for a clue, "north shore, look for the red hand", fucking rock in the bottom corner of the north 25% percent of the island, this fucker was sitting. Lots of red crows, red somethings or others painted on rocks.

Meanwhile a 4-man ship sank our anchored ship (with nothing on it, fortunately), we hid out, kept searching, they finally left, I ran to our mermaid ship respawn, sailed the ship back to the island, found this fucker, dug it up, and brought it back for a turn in.

seaofthieves-redhand.png

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I wish I had it recorded, but in an effort to start our next mission, a 4 player ship was coming into port as we were leaving, buddy called cannons, I started firing, killed one player on their deck, buddy positioned us outside their cannon angles, my buddy took a sniper bullet, mere flesh wound, I ended up sinking their ship, we came about, anchored, I pilfered one of their dropped chests, shark came up and got one bite out of my ass before boarding, we rose anchor and sailed off while sharks swarmed and ate their floating crew. We managed to take their shit and turn it into another outpost.

On our way back to the original mission island, some random poor sap was floating next to the island, he boarded our ship, carrying a chest, so I stabbed him in the back. Turns out, he was carrying a Captain's Chest. We sailed to the nearest outpost, a 4man ship was docked, so we headed in the opposite direction to another outpost, went through a crazy storm, and turned in the chest -- worth 4.5x the best chest we'd seen. All in our two man ship. Was a good time.

seaofthieves-ocean.png

Brikker

Trump's Staff
It's a pretty game but nothing I've seen shows it being a game worth paying for...

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
im the best at finding chests with them clue's! lol i just have knack for them things. I enjoy the game, im glad they are holding back quite a bit. The core of the game is so fucking good. It looked really fucking awesome too. The people responsible for optimizations did an A+++ job.

We sank 3 ships today, lost 1 ship due to it crashing into a rock when we jumped on another ship to put down some gun powder to sink it! WE got all 5 of our chests back, becuase i sat there for like 30 min to find them and put them in a safe spot. got their 2 chests. it was awesome! lol

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
If you are into the pvp aspect, look into Blackwake. Way cheaper.

It's a beautiful game but I don't see paying $59 for it now based upon what I have seen in the streams. Plus fuck them if they don't want to put it on Steam.

• 1Solidarity

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Eh, I wouldn't pay $59 for this, I'd just pay for Game Pass for a couple months. If you grind and flame out you're out $10-$20.

• 1Solidarity

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Is there a carrying capacity on the small sloop? Seems to take on water for no reason and trying to reason out why, Subjectively it gfelt like it did it more if I had several chests on it. Sank after finding the chest of a thousand grogs too.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there a carrying capacity on the small sloop? Seems to take on water for no reason and trying to reason out why, Subjectively it gfelt like it did it more if I had several chests on it. Sank after finding the chest of a thousand grogs too.
There is a "Crying" chest which will pour water into your ship when it "cries", so if you don't pay attention your boat will eventually sink.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

It's a beautiful game but I don't see paying $59 for it now based upon what I have seen in the streams. Plus fuck them if they don't want to put it on Steam.

This is the crux of the companies fuckup. If they would have just copied black wake pvp mechanics, and put in some good start pve stuff that they could continue to build around, they'd have a hit.

pvp in this game looks fucking stupid after your first couple encounters.

• 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

Blackwake sucks. There's parts that are unnecessarily complicated, and others that are too simple. SoT strikes almost the perfect balance between ship maintenance, control, and pvp, with actual objectives.

If you're in a storm, you'll take on lots of rain water. Also, double check each deck level. The middle deck can take damage next to the mission board that's kind of obscured.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This is the crux of the companies fuckup. If they would have just copied black wake pvp mechanics, and put in some good start pve stuff that they could continue to build around, they'd have a hit.

pvp in this game looks fucking stupid after your first couple encounters.

God, I don't know why folks praise Blackwake pvp, that shit is so chaotic and has very little to do with individual contribution. Too many players, it's just a shit show.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
God, I don't know why folks praise Blackwake pvp, that shit is so chaotic and has very little to do with individual contribution. Too many players, it's just a shit show.

Dur they'd pair it down to the 2-4 man play style of SoT. Things like grappling hooks and different types of cannon shot, smarter ship, gun and hand to hand pvp in general.

For every game with what are looking like false promises we have diehards like you, and I hope you end up right, but I have a feeling this is a dead game a month or two after release.

This game is beautiful, but has the features of an early beta indie game, not a AAA $60 Microsoft owned studio game.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users