Sea of Thieves (PC / Xbone)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Brikker

Trump's Staff
A chest that gave you basically nothing.

This game will be dead in a week or two.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
This game is shallow as fuck. The core game loop is definitely fun with friends but there's nothing really to work towards that has any meaning. I agree that this feels like a really solid alpha rather than a full-fledged game. The fact that they are asking 80 bucks (CAN!) for it is criminal. I pre-ordered for like 20 bucks so at least I'm not mad about that. There isn't even any interesting wildlife around. I really can't see people playing this for long. Even a BR mode would require significant change since right now the weapons are so limited.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
There isn't even any interesting wildlife around.

Seriously... Other than sharks in the water and circling groups of birds overhead the game is so empty. No crabs on beaches. No monkeys or parrots on shoulders!

You can't even fish!

• 2Solidarity

kahilm

Blackwing Lair Raider
Love all the hate this game is getting. If you watched any videos or read anything about it before it was released, none of this would be a surprise. Yeah you can be disappointed it's not the ultimate pirate game with every dream feature that everyone is suggesting, but it's fun for what it is and you'd be crazy not to see the potential the game has. And the whole "but it's just a bunch of fetch quests, I've seen everything after 3 hours" posts just don't get it. Go actually do one of those fetch quests. Find a shipwreck on the way. See a sail in the distance, give chase. Sink them and take their loot. Get to the island you're headed to, find a message in a bottle. Maybe your ship gets raided while you're on the island and you fight back. Talk shit over proximity voicechat. Stow away on the enemy ship as they sail away, dump their loot into the sea, suicide with a gunpowder barrel in the bottom deck.

I haven't had vibes like this with a game since Ultima Online. I really hope Rare adds more and I'm sure they will. The bones are just too good.

• 3Salty
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Love all the hate this game is getting. If you watched any videos or read anything about it before it was released, none of this would be a surprise. Yeah you can be disappointed it's not the ultimate pirate game with every dream feature that everyone is suggesting, but it's fun for what it is and you'd be crazy not to see the potential the game has. And the whole "but it's just a bunch of fetch quests, I've seen everything after 3 hours" posts just don't get it. Go actually do one of those fetch quests. Find a shipwreck on the way. See a sail in the distance, give chase. Sink them and take their loot. Get to the island you're headed to, find a message in a bottle. Maybe your ship gets raided while you're on the island and you fight back. Talk shit over proximity voicechat. Stow away on the enemy ship as they sail away, dump their loot into the sea, suicide with a gunpowder barrel in the bottom deck.

I haven't had vibes like this with a game since Ultima Online. I really hope Rare adds more and I'm sure they will. The bones are just too good.

We've all said it has a good foundation. But at the current price for what it has its a bunch of bullshit.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

kahilm

Blackwing Lair Raider
We've all said it has a good foundation. But at the current price for what it has its a bunch of bullshit.

Paid $60 for Mario Odyssey, gonna get way more hours of entertainment out of SoT then that game.

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty

Mao

Trakanon Raider
I'll agree its overpriced and would suggest anyone to either go the Xbox Pass route or hold off till the price drops because I believe it most definitely will after the initial rush.

But one thing is I don't expect the core of the game to change at all. I believe it was a very conscious decision not to provide any game play upgrades that you can farm in the game. A lot of people I see are complaining that there aren't meaningful rewards for your efforts, but to be honest I don't think that is going to change any time soon. The point of this game is for everyone to be equal equipment wise and for your fights to be based more on your actions and abilities. I think there is a lot of balance that needs to be done here. Ships can be very difficult to sink with merely cannon balls and usually requires a boarding at some point to kill crew members so they can't repair. Or... to Allahu Akbar over a gunpowder barrel. There is a lot of expansion that can be done with adding grape shot or chain shot and allowing sail damage so that you can make it easier to catch fleeing ships or damage pursuing ships.

There are a lot of 'time wasters' and more cosmetics that can be added, like both fishing and pets that are supposed to be in 'later expansions'.

But, if you are looking for a game that is about grinding out gameplay and equipment upgrades in order to get better ships, guns, and tools this game will continue to disappoint you. Its about getting out with your friends and fucking around. The quests are the excuse to get you out doing it. The quest items have no real value other than the cash they give you to get more quests and cosmetics, but they serve to make the PVP have some perceived value. You sink someone you get their quest items you can turn in. But they have no real significant one of a kind value so that the people that lose don't feel like they've lost anything significant that they can't make up with just a little more time and hopefully they enjoyed the pvp fight, even if they lost, enough that the loss of the chests isn't really enough to make them put the game away and quit. They aren't losing one of a kind items or special turn ins they need to unlock gear. They also don't feel like they lost because the opponents gear was better. From what little I've seen this has made it so while people may be salty about losing, they aren't bitter at the game thinking they got screwed over by some whale that just has better gear.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Paid $60 for Mario Odyssey, gonna get way more hours of entertainment out of SoT then that game.

uNmHkbp.jpg

• 8Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 9 users

kahilm

Blackwing Lair Raider

never said "more fun." more long lived in played hours, yes. how many hours do you have in odyssey? i think i have like 20? maybe 30? feel no urge to go back to it anytime soon. yet it's a 9+/10 in most reviews and everyone agrees it's worth $60.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
never said "more fun." more long lived in played hours, yes. how many hours do you have in odyssey? i think i have like 20? maybe 30? feel no urge to go back to it anytime soon. yet it's a 9+/10 in most reviews and everyone agrees it's worth $60.

You compare this to Ultima Online which is incredibly ironic. Considering that game had an extremely robust progression MMORPG system on top of the ruthless PVP dynamic. A PVP dynamic which was made extremely meaningful by your ability to take shit from people they actually cared about. On top of other things.

• 2Solidarity

kahilm

Blackwing Lair Raider
You compare this to Ultima Online which is incredibly ironic. Considering that game had an extremely robust progression MMORPG system on top of the ruthless PVP dynamic. A PVP dynamic which was made extremely meaningful by your ability to take shit from people they actually cared about. On top of other things.

Again putting words in my mouth. I just said it gave me UO vibes - full loot PVP, no character levels, yeah there were skill grinds but did they really matter in the end when everyone would macro up the 7 they needed? In the end UO was about cosmetics (house, rare drops) and PVP and that's it, maybe RP too. Of course it's not "EXACTLY THE SAME AS UO!!" And I'll say it again, I agree the game isn't finished. But so what, people pay full price for half assed bullshit on kickstarter all the time. SoT is fun RIGHT NOW for a lot of people, and has the most potential of any game out there right now imo.

• 4Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Again putting words in my mouth. I just said it gave me UO vibes - full loot PVP, no character levels, yeah there were skill grinds but did they really matter in the end when everyone would macro up the 7 they needed? In the end UO was about cosmetics (house, rare drops) and PVP and that's it, maybe RP too. Of course it's not "EXACTLY THE SAME AS UO!!" And I'll say it again, I agree the game isn't finished. But so what, people pay full price for half assed bullshit on kickstarter all the time. SoT is fun RIGHT NOW for a lot of people, and has the most potential of any game out there right now imo.

"full loot pvp" in a game with no loot

"no character levels" in a game with zero character advancement

"in the end of UO" what why compare this game to the last bit of UOs decade+ long run? This is nothing like UOs during it's first 5 years, or last 5 years (yes I know it's still technically going but i'm counting it over after origin.

If you're having fun more power too you, but there are objective standards for comparisons and what content should be included in modern AAA games.

• 3Solidarity

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Game where players make the content has players complaining about no content

I'm getting really fucking sick and tired of this argument. A shitty game with PVP is still a shitty game. This goes exactly towards what I said earlier: They make their games PVP, so their customers become the content so they have to work less on their shity game.

If you argue this is about coop PVP, why not just play Blackwake?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Spending a hour plus fighting via sea and land vs several player crews all attempting to also complete a large raid, while the same raid mobs are attacking via land and sea everyone is fucking blast, not going to apologize for having fun playing a game with friends.