Sean complaint box

Status
Not open for further replies.

iannis

Musty Nester
Uh, to a certain extent I'm going to have to disagree with that. People were getting pretty fucking scary with the info-sharing and Database bullshit back in the day.
There was some really creepy shit going on once upon a time in screenshots. It's bullshit up to a point, past that point it's quite possibly criminal.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That was a pretty weak zinger for that if that's what it was intended to portray - and as a hirer before my illness social anxiety making someone unworkable for a business is certainly a real thing. (And one I can somewhat relate to in echoey places too many voices at once becomes like nails on a chalkboard - fortunately 1 on 1 and small scale I'm fine with though so it never impaired me)

But I've seen some pretty amazing flipouts from people with anxiety disorders as they try to work. And our stores were very low stress. And last I checked part of the diagnostic criteria includes trying them in multiple work environments.

Don't get me wrong though there's always a chance he's faking - some disabled are, and psychological and neurological are the easiest to fake. But his problems are absolutely real for some people possibly including him - anxiety might manifest under stress only for example, grabbing a game shouldn't be stressful for him.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Sorry im too sick to work but not sick enough to procure and enjoy video games. pls give monies.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Sorry im too sick to work but not sick enough to procure and enjoy video games. pls give monies.
Go prove it to the government.

Its not like you can just send an email and get a lifelong hand out for 30 seconds of work. It takes a substantial amount of effort on your own part and lawyers plus backing from doctors and usually an extensive medical history to support it.

Plus, if you do get it, you get to enjoy the status of being some kind of leech the rest of your life from the majority of people around you who know about it, which is awesome!

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I don't think Sean's faking. I think he has serious issues.

I also think that he uses it as a shield when he wants a get out of jail free card for a situation and then wants it to go away when he wants to be seen as "normal".

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Go prove it to the government.

Its not like you can just send an email and get a lifelong hand out for 30 seconds of work. It takes a substantial amount of effort on your own part and lawyers plus backing from doctors and usually an extensive medical history to support it.

Plus, if you do get it, you get to enjoy the status of being some kind of leech the rest of your life from the majority of people around you who know about it, which is awesome!
i WOULD BUT MY FIBROMYALGIA IS ACTING UP AND I CAN SIGN PAPERWORK

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I don't think Sean's faking. I think he has serious issues.

I also think that he uses it as a shield when he wants a get out of jail free card for a situation and then wants it to go away when he wants to be seen as "normal".
That may be the case. Thats fine, it is just an important distinction between Sean-bashing and disability-bashing. Which not everyone cares about, but... yeah.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My older brother had a stroke this last March. He had no blood in the portion of his brain that affects speech and language for over 8 hours. He has been denied disability and has to go through a lawyer now. The government doesn't just hand out disability to people because they tell them they have anxiety or they are lazy. You have to go through quite a bit to prove your disability. It's pretty insulting to people who go through the process for you to mock it, really.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
My older brother had a stroke this last March. He had no blood in the portion of his brain that affects speech and language for over 8 hours. He has been denied disability and has to go through a lawyer now. The government doesn't just hand out disability to people because they tell them they have anxiety or they are lazy. You have to go through quite a bit to prove your disability. It's pretty insulting to people who go through the process for you to mock it, really.
Does he have Broca's or Wernicke's apashia (if you know)? I'm just asking because the same thing happened to my mother years ago.

If it Broca's, singing may possibly work for communication as a different portion of the brain is associated with that. It may seem weird but that is the way my mom communicates with us now.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Sorry to hear about your mom. It's Broca's and part of his therapy was/is indeed singing. He's regained a lot of his speech function, but it's still fucked up. It is some weird shit, the way our brains deal with language.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
dude... don't come in here with that. what's the first thing ANY of us do on a sick day? we curl up on the couch and play video games.

Vaclav

i WOULD BUT MY FIBROMYALGIA IS ACTING UP AND I CAN SIGN PAPERWORK
My initial diagnosis before they opted to add my weird genetics as one was filed under Fibromyalgia (my doctor considered Fibro to be the closest thing to the poorly documented neurologic symptoms tied to my genetic condition - the problem of having a really rare condition and the neuro effects being quite diverse - mother was always fine her whole life, on the other hand I've met some people with the condition through my PT person that are permanently wheelchair bound with the condition and getting worse every year from what she says at 4 years younger than me.... and his mother is supposedly similarly messed up... I feel lucky that my problem timeframe was short and I've gotten results from medication such that I'm looking able to return to work now [although we'll see how it works out - Oct 15th is when my appointment with Rehab is - main worry I've got is how to present my issues in case they recur, I'm pretty sure they won't but don't have 100% confidence]) - and trust me, I had to sign every paper you can think of, even when I was commenting on my wrists aching badly - shit, the random IQ test that they made me take as part of it I had to do everything longhand.

Hell, just one tidbit most people don't know is that while you're in the process of a disability claim you've got to go to quite a few doctors and you've got no ability to groom which reports go in - so even one questionable diagnostic can screw you up - especially on something like Fibromyalgia where the pressure points for diagnosing are devilishly simple to offer "trick questions" to the patient - I believe it was 5 out of 9 need to be reactive - and the normal diagnostic criteria includes testing two "fake spots" as part of the 9 that you're actually testing. If either fake spot is reactive, you're supposed to note it as such - and likely they'll be denied and have to go through another round of doctors. (Plus another 12-18 months before the next judge reviews it)

Vaclav

dude... don't come in here with that. what's the first thing ANY of us do on a sick day? we curl up on the couch and play video games.
Funny thing is I used to be the same - now I'm honestly stir crazy all the time and never want to be here - frankly 2/3 of why I want to go back to work has entirely to do with wanting to work from an entertainment/social standpoint, I'll probably actually be losing money once the "work trial" part of disabled returning to work comes off if my calculations are right and my presumption that I won't be able to apply my degree towards anything understanding of things is accurate.

iannis

Musty Nester
Sorry to hear about your mom. It's Broca's and part of his therapy was/is indeed singing. He's regained a lot of his speech function, but it's still fucked up. It is some weird shit, the way our brains deal with language.
That's good news. Apashia, while horrible, is probably one of the best outcomes for a stroke BECAUSE the brain actually seems to be remarkably resilient in compensating for the damage.

Every silver lining requires a dark cloud, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.