Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (From Software)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I just ran around until she despawned the ghosts and kept running until the butterflies we're thrown.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Well I finally beat Ashina Elite. What a fucker. I ended up beating him by basically going full retard and jumping around like a maniac as opposed to trying to deflect and dodge shit with any reason. I beat the Purple Ninja in the underground tunnel after a couple of tries so go figure. I haven't tried butterly lady yet.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Ash and Firecrackers work on Lady Butterfly too, if you need an opening to set yourself up for the dodge-counterattack thing Fedor's been talking about.

xzi

Mouthbreather
so I finally got Shadowrush and uh, the Ashina Elite dude I was struggling on last night? Completely fucking obliterated him with it. He doesn't block it at all. Made the fight a complete joke lol

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Best horse guy. Still have yet to kill LB lol

Horse guy is actually pretty easy once you realize you can just block everything. LB fucked me up pretty bad, but hoping with the attack boost from that boss and vitality boost from beads will make her doable.

Not sure if there's a certain order this game is designed for, but feels like going to her right away will make a lot of people quit the game.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yeah. I figured the order was to do hirata first since you get the bell early. The Ogre and General and Horse guy all seemed easier than Jozou and are definitely easier than LB.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Rushed LB in phase 2 and got her down before she could summon any ghosts or butterflies. I'm not sure if I had the timing down finally or RNG was with me but I was able to keep dodge attacking over and over again to the point it seemed she was stun locked. Went back to the first area and was able to get through the hide and seek part and horse guy first try than got destroyed by the next mini boss.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally got some time today to actually play it, killed Gyoubo, LB, Genchiro, all on my second try, also got a fair number of mini bosses so i have 3 life upgrades now. I don't think this game is nearly as difficult as people are making out although i've actually had more difficult times on some mini's.

Lady Butterfly is super easy, more so then Gyoubo or Genchiro at least and neither of those are hard. Simply Dodge to either forward-left, or forward right every time she attacks and immediately slash once after each dodge and repeat. She just keeps attacking air and eating hits 80% of the time for this. IF she goes to the air Shuriken her. Phase two just do that but occasionally run around and hide behind pillars to get rid of all butterfly crap.

I see a few people mention ashine elite as being hard. He killed me a few times but it's still a fairly easy fight. Just sit at around the edge of your attack range and don't attack. Hopefully he comes at you with his regular super fast slashes from underhand. This is hard to deflect but if you do it will do over 50% posture dmg. If you screw up and get hit, or he does a red kanji attack just back up and dodge/heal. But if you do land those two deflects DON"T ATTACK. He will almost always come back with the same attack again 1-2 secs later. Just deflect those and deathblow then repeat for lifebar2.

Horse dude and Genchirico are more straight forward and it's just a matter of learning the deflects and dodges but both of them are pretty easy in this regard. I never used any Shinobi tools aside from a couple of Shurikens on Genchiro but i think firecrackers are good vs Horse guy.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Horse guy is actually pretty easy once you realize you can just block everything. LB fucked me up pretty bad, but hoping with the attack boost from that boss and vitality boost from beads will make her doable.

Not sure if there's a certain order this game is designed for, but feels like going to her right away will make a lot of people quit the game.

I think this is more like it is in BB where you're either fighting the Cleric Beast first but the boss needed to progress is Father Gascoigne. There is a lot of optional bosses in here I expect. Pretty sure you can just go to Hirata, grab the axe and flame vent then bail without ever returning to the place.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So im curious how people are handling defense moves in this game.

Has anyone been able to mix in deflect/jump/dodge, i find it hard to use more then two of the three at a time. For me my fingers are constantly primed over the block/parry button and dodge key. I often find myself Trying to dodge backwards/inside, or even deflect on red kanji sweep attacks and otherwise ignoring it. It's just two damn awkward and hard to have 3 different inputs required for different Anyone able to adjust and really use/mix in all defensive ability's so far?

Personally i try to deflect most things and only block on purpose in the super rare situations where a mob is shooting at me and i wanna make sure i don't eat it's shot before running in. Otherwise i simply attempt to deflect basically all non red-kanji attacks (many red kanji's also). I think many people may find it easier to play utilizing block almost as in the way you might use a shield in DS games. However i think my strategy likely helps vs stuff like Ashina Elite where you score insane posture dmg from deflecting, or Genichiro ( Any of at least the first 3 big bosses, nearly all of the first 15 mini bosses, and many other trash enemies that are like him in the sense you can score big posture dmg from deflects whilst taking all those rapid blows on a blocking sword could easily cause a posture break.

QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A GOOD AMOUNT OF TIME IN GAME!

What prosthetics do you find yourself using and what upgrades are worth going for? Am i the only one who mostly ignore these?
I rarely use them at all in normal gameplay. just the ultra obvious like axe on shield guys... Otherwise i used firecracker on Blazing bull and Shuriken on bosses that go airborne, and occasionally just to interrupt attacking bosses.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Down to 7/10. The camera is fucking HORRIBLE if you are near a wall. It is not helpful having the camera focused on the enemies fucking knee cap while I can’t even figure out what is around me becaus tee camera has gone for a stroll.

Mikiri counter only works half the time, mostly because I hit the button too early, you know when the symbol comes up, causing me to roll and and get hit by an attack that actually missed me.

The lock on is stupid, drops if the enemy moves too quickly behind you (forced me to half to cheese lady butterfly) and that it drops when you die is dumb too. Yes, it’s easy to lock back on if you remember but f you don’t you are suddenly having the camera swing wildly around in some random fucking direction. That’s my fault, yes, but it could be handled better.

The two most infuriating things for me right now is how useless dodging is because most of the attacks are lunging with 100% tracking so I still get. And the other is that 100% tracking the enemy has even in the air. Watch the ogres drop kick for the most retarded example of this.

The stupidest is having to jump over the sweep attacks. My thumb is glued to the dodge button and going to hit jump instead of dodge is next to impossible for me nevermind the fact that when I do pull it off I end up jumping in some random direction which negates the purpose of jumping in the first place.

This game is not hard, it’s sloppy, cheap, and hard. The further I get the more apparent this game was developed using not what they learned from players but from watching people speedrun the others.

This is starting to feel like From Software’s ‘Gates of Discord’ except it’s good and doesn’t suxk complete ass top to bottom.

Also, I only use one weapon and one set of clothes so why does my sheath clip through my clothes at times?

Something about this game feels impcompete or last minute.

Just me venting, continue loving the game.

Meanwhile, @TBT-TheBigToe’s house at 8pm last night....

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Prosthetics can trivialize some of the trash encounters though. Axe works on the shield guys of course, but also ruins those short guys with the wooden hats. Spear works great against armored guys who parry a lot, and firecrackers are great against packs of wolves because you can stun them and then run around chopping them down. The fire blast deals with the guys in the dungeon.

Each prosthetic has a biography under it, and can label opponents they're very good at stopping.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Aggressively attacking until youre deflected then step dodging into a counter attack is wildly successful against most enemies.

Successfully parrying an aggressive enemy is also very effective.

If anything I get minimal use of jumping since the enemy tracking punishes jumping more than anything else. I've used all the prosthetics I've found a reasonable amount so far. Except the Raven mist one... Can't find a good use for it. The emblem cost and inability to sacrifice life for more emblems like Quicksilver bullets make me not want to use them. Even though emblems are abundant enough.

Really wish prosthetic used stamina or smth.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Whidon Whidon in order of most used, Axe/thrust spear, flame blast, delayed whistle, gouging shuriken(fuck you ashina castle rooftops) firecracker.

Issue is they are all situational, sometimes firecrackers are the tits. For all trash mob area delayed whistle is the best. You can also cheese areas with animals for free XP. All bosses the spear and axe do a ton of posture dmg but risky if used poorly.

TJT TJT you get an item later that lets you trade health for spirit emblems mid battle. Also end of game I was sitting on 20 spirit emblems per rest.
Corrupted monk I found myself jumping a ton but every attack is sweeping save for the one up down it does. Overall though this game wants you to block and parry.

Last edited:

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Just a heads up:

Humble Bundle is doing 10% off Sekiro for PC right now if anyone is interested. They also have a Bandai/Namco sale going on currently: most of the Dark Souls titles are 70% or more off.

• 1Like

Terial

Trakanon Raider
question on Rat Hunting....
So this is a pretty easy quest, however, he gives you a list of multiple locations for the rats. Is it feasible to think the reward you get would be different if you manage to kill them in all locations without dying and then return to him?