Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (From Software)

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I think the headless ape has a couple conditions that have to be met before he appears.
after i killed snake eyes in the poison lake (more like a pond) the cave behind her was totally empty, looked like a HUGE area to have a boss fight, but it was
Turning skill points into attack power.
whaaaaaaa, okay i need to get these fragments!

italica

Trakanon Raider
after i killed snake eyes in the poison lake (more like a pond) the cave behind her was totally empty, looked like a HUGE area to have a boss fight, but it was

The Guardian Ape definitely has to be defeated first. I'm not 100% sure if there's any other conditions.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
The purple garbed American Inventor shinobi dude is quest related to O’rin of the Water, I think. I sent him to the surgeon by accident, feel bad about it but that’s just how shit rolls sometimes.

There is an optional fight in that empty arena. After you have done some story related stuff there is a boss fight that, if you enjoy doing, you don’t have to do the final death blow on and you can respawn as often as you like.

I have accepted that in order to beat some fights I am just going to have to bait certain attacks, get one hit in, run away, wash, rinse, repeat, and repeat again until victory. No defeflecting, posture breaking, actual cool gameplay, or anything resembling how this game is meant to be played. It’s ugly, slow, and effective. And I feel no shame.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Terial

Trakanon Raider
The Guardian Ape definitely has to be defeated first. I'm not 100% sure if there's any other conditions.
so the ape, that i've not seen, stops me from going to the misty village where you need to clear the mist (done).
Only other guy in the area i've not beaten yet, is another giant sumo drunk guy, with a few monkey's around him.

italica

Trakanon Raider
so the ape, that i've not seen, stops me from going to the misty village where you need to clear the mist (done).
Only other guy in the area i've not beaten yet, is another giant sumo drunk guy, with a few monkey's around him.

The Headless Ape NOT being in his cave shouldn't have any effect on being able to get through the mist area or anything after it I don't think? I did that whole area up to the Corrupted Monk boss before I even did the Guardian Ape.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
The Headless Ape NOT being in his cave shouldn't have any effect on being able to get through the mist area or anything after it I don't think? I did that whole area up to the Corrupted Monk boss before I even did the Guardian Ape.
i guess what i am wondering is, did i just not find the path to the ape?? because now that the misty village is done, and will work on drunk sumo tonight, i am unsure where to go. I mean i could finally start the Castle and beyond. I just thought the Ape was back here where i am now.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Whistle and just chill if you want, it is pretty funny.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Pretty sure I ended up going very where I could before doing Genechiro last night. Took about 2 hours after that but finally nearly him. I swear the lightning throwback is buggy as fuck. I'd catch it and spam, press or press and hold r1 and 50% of the time I'd land and get shocked

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Pretty sure I ended up going very where I could before doing Genechiro last night. Took about 2 hours after that but finally nearly him. I swear the lightning throwback is buggy as fuck. I'd catch it and spam, press or press and hold r1 and 50% of the time I'd land and get shocked
Yeah you had to time your jump pretty well, which was hard when he has 2 lightning attacks with pretty different timings. The sword slash is super fast so you have to jump as soon as you recognize it, while the arrow is slow and you have to wait for him a second or so before you jump otherwise you are already almost to the ground by the time it hits and don’t have time to slash.

I did the same as you, spent some time exploring elsewhere and went back and fought genichiro. Took about 20 minutes, worked out a kind of cheese for both phases that made him pretty easy

italica

Trakanon Raider
i guess what i am wondering is, did i just not find the path to the ape?? because now that the misty village is done, and will work on drunk sumo tonight, i am unsure where to go. I mean i could finally start the Castle and beyond. I just thought the Ape was back here where i am now.

There's 2 apes... "Guardian Ape" is in Sunken Valley at the Bodhsattva Valley idol. It's the area with a bunch of monkeys along the way and poison pools at ground level. Sunken Valley is accessed on the backside of Ashina Castle I think? It's around the Castle somewhere. You'd have to go around the roof tops of the Castle to get there but I don't believe you'd have to fight Genichiro. Look for a bridge (not near the bridge you get to right after the moo moo fire cow.)

"Headless Ape" is in the Ashina Depths in that big room you mentioned right before the Hidden Forest. "Headless" does not appear until "Guardian" is killed. Guardian is a required kill for the story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
O Rin is probably my favorite boss in the game just for the rythm of the boss feeling very much like a dance. Was super satisfying to me, lol

That and the 2nd time you get to the top of the castle. I found him to be super easy compared to the first time.

xzi

Mouthbreather
NLRxhCM.jpg

• 1Worf

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm kind of torn on this game. on one hand i find the combat is actually pretty great in the boss fights that show it off well. OWL is a great example and it felt great deflecting his constant attacks and trying the sneak in the hits to vitality whenever possible.. But i feel that the trash is unhelpful as you can, and should use stealth as much as possible and most trash mobs you fight are easily overwhelmed, 10% feel so annoying/cheap you just want to skip them to avoid having to bother, and like 10% of the mobs are actually about what the trash should be, IE: a fair challenge that requires a good bit of sword fighting. But not to cheap or easy.

During the first half of the game it sometimes felt like the game was a tad buggy with missing blocks/deflects/dodges that should have worked but occasionally failed. However i have not noticed these recently and i think it was simply a matter of getting better.

So you really break it down you have this great combat. But it only really shows in in some bosses/mini's.

I've not beat it yet, but I'm at the second Hiratta estate ( Boy this place is difficult!). So i think i can fairly comment on the story. I think the setting is really good, however the vague/interpretative bloodsouls like story telling does not work nearly as well in a game like this with it's type of story. I actually think going back and looking at how Demon's souls handled story would have been a good idea.

Overall, It's a good game and worth playing. But Blooodborne is still the best From game by a fair amount. I think Sekiro it's perhaps the weakest of the soulsborne with the possible exception of DS2. I do think however if they make a sequel that got rid of, vastly revamped, or at least had less emphasis on stealth. In general trash that better worked with the games core combat. More true bosses, less repetitive mini's. These things and A few other little tweaks and you would have a game that would stand among the very best From games.

EDIT: A big issue is having both Dodge and Jump along with block/deflect and requiring all three in some fights.

It may seem like fights requiring both dodge and jump counters are unreasonable at first as people in this thread have said and it sometimes felt to me. However, i think they are inherently a reasonable challenge thats doable for an average player like myself. The problem is it's only like a dozen fights in the game or so, All Boss or mini-boss mobs that require the use of both. This is lousy design as it makes it hard to get use to. Unless you cheese the fights where it's important to learn to fight this way you have to basically almost relearn to incorporate both dodge and jump it every time you get to them. it's a shame since it's immensely satisfying to find yourself landing that jump kick counter in-between deflects/dodges on O'rin or corrupted monk ect..They really needed to put in more mobs that train you fight this way or simply not require it and make bosses be beatable with either dodge or jump counters.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Finished the screen monkeys last night, nice change of pace to not have a combat boss

• 1Solidarity

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I was, originally, fairly interested in watching speed runs of this however that has changed completely. I saw Elijasz or however it is spelled working on a skip that would bypass the Blazing Bull.

“Cool” I thought, I use speedrun strats for shit I find annoying, difficult, or just don’t want to do. Not to speed run, of course but just because in many cases it’s just an easier way of doing certain things. The problem came with how he was doing it.

He was playing on PC and using a third party program that removed the textures of many meshes and instead showed their designating colour. For example there is a mesh on edges that stops you from walking off but not sprinting or jumping off. It’s green.

As far as I am concerned that’s cheating, using a third party program is always cheating. I don’t care if it was just for routing and finding skips, it’s still cheating. I know most people won’t care but no mater how I might abuse the game’s ai, use cheesy tactics, or just generally suck at games I won’t cheat.

Just really got under my skin however I am not going to go posting my outrage at speedsouls or try and get runs with skips banned from gdq, I am just curious if I am the only one that thinks that is dirty and cheating.

• 1Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I suck at this game and can't get past the ogre. I had him down to a sliver of health and died on 5th attempt. So I went and got the flame thrower ;) Nice stuns. That should help round this guy out.

• 1Worf

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I suck at this game and can't get past the ogre. I had him down to a sliver of health and died on 5th attempt. So I went and got the flame thrower ;) Nice stuns. That should help round this guy out.

5th attempt? Pfft guardian ape I was pushing 30+ attempts.

Unrelated not a single patch for this game yet, from software has this engine on lock.

• 1Worf

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Come to think of it I haven’t really seen any bugs. I remember the BB one where if you didn’t exit the game completely for so long then the bosses stopped doing some of their moves for some reason