Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (From Software)

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Is it worth farming exp and such? If so, what are the necessary skills for first time play through?

Fedor

<Banned>
Is it worth farming exp and such? If so, what are the necessary skills for first time play through?

mikiri, shinobi eyes
suppress presence
breath of life: light (you also get an additional version of this from a miniboss)
ichimonji: double
descending carp, ascending carp

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Got the firecracker finally. Guess that would've been useful on Oniwa. Jouzou was not too bad - only took 2 tries; getting to him is definitely worse, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
its worth farming for breath of life: light , massive quality of light improvement. The ashina arts as mentioned too are also great and low cost, but you maybe don't have those yet.

dont worry about dragonrot, you can reset it each time eventually and it doesn't have any lasting consequences. Its actually quite good to see npcs youve missed/lore.

Fedor

<Banned>
mo3249jy90q21.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Fedor

<Banned>
8 hours on the final boss and I can't even consistently get him to the 2nd of 3 life bars

I was going to give up on the game entirely but I came back today and finally beat him after an hour of attempts.

I used 5 firecrackers and didn't use a single healing gourd in the winning attempt.

how it felt nailing all those perfect parries and counters:

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Up to the Ape boss. The mini bosses are still harder than many of the bosses. Not super concerned with the Dragonrot since I've about 3 or 4 Dragon Droplets. Trying my best to not miss anything.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Completed it and avoided all threads etc as didn't want spoilers, and for once wanted to take my time with a fromsoft game and try to find everything i could

Went pretty good, missed the final two prayer beads of course, bit salty about that. Also the fish corpse location, dunno why the fuck he's eventually at ape, I guess it links somehow and thats how people got sick? Maybe i missed the item that elaborated on that, but I didn't get it.

Overall I thought the quests were easier to progress than others in the series, maybe thats because the grapple makes it easier to return to areas you struggled with before. In the end I was a bit disappointed with the conclusions, i spawned a small fish from the pot guy who kept asking for more scales to become bigger, and I thought this would eventually lead to me fighting the big carp and bringing him the final scales (I also bought everything from him), but nope, just a small fish now. Nothing special from that entire thing. Pretty shitty. Blackhat just gives a balloon that combines all the effects. Rat catcher guy/Issin at least gave me some art. Killing all five headless doesnt seem to do anything. I really thought that room near the start of senpau temple past the monks where you grapple up into the hole in the roof, which has all 5 there and one of the guys is holding like a bell thing, would do something once I killed them all. I also thought killing all the infected guys with the mortal blade without resting would do something too, but apparently not (or I missed some but didn't see in wiki). Disappointed black scroll was just a lore item.

I also found the game a lot smaller in scope than the others. Like it suddenly dawned on me that this was probably all the areas I was going to visit, and whilst fountainhead was a lot bigger/better than expected, I never felt like I actually got away from Ashina, though this was probably by design. I was just so sick of the place in the end, three times we're back there now. Ending (dragons homecoming) was just a cutscene, absolutely nothing of importance.

Having said all that , I did still love the game. The way it turns a more or less linear path into making you feel like you have discovered something special is still great, and plenty of nice surprises. The combat grew on me a lot (Swapping eavesdrop and flask buttons helped), i just wish there was another couple of areas to explore.

In terms of difficulty, found it like all souls games: rolled at start, fine the majority of the way through, last two bosses I found challenging though Ebretias is still #1 for fucking me over.
Don't agree that its not a souls-like game, I actually thought it was very souls like and my eyes rolled so hard when i saw the 'treasure carps', but at least they were elaborated on later with the swimming. Anyway 9/10 or so, loved it despite my criticism, no game makes me pay attention like fromsoft games.

Also, one thing I don't think I saw mentioned in this thread despite someone talking about the Mortal Blade is that you can go back and kill the guardian ape's corpse properly, for an extra attack power.
I’m stuck on the Blackhat (Badger right?) quest. I raised the kite and met him in the cave across the chasm, but all he says is he needs to get back to Ashina Castle. Can’t find him there.

Edit: There wasn’t anything about this when I got to this point as I was slightly ahead of the curve since I no lifed this on release day. I see now that there are guides and I need to check the spot where I first met him now that I’ve defeated the dragon.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
He was in a house that had a hole in the roof in Ashina castle. I think its the Old Grave idol and then you jump down around there. Its an area with some rocket launcher guys in towers.

Fedor

<Banned>
Edit: There wasn’t anything about this when I got to this point as I was slightly ahead of the curve since I no lifed this on release day. I see now that there are guides and I need to check the spot where I first met him now that I’ve defeated the dragon.

and then he gives you a shitty item as a reward like all the other quests in the game

• 2Truth!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Someone needs to let game journalists know about it!

• 2Worf

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Glad I rented it. I suck at these games lol, and wind up rage quitting.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I 1 shotted the second headless ape fight where his bitch comes in 3 nights ago. I've been afraid to play again and try Owl since I ended that one night on such a high note

• 2Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Finally got to play. Got genchiro, and all the way up through getting the mortal blade. Not too far yet but glad I had progress.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I imagine spending all that time in the bedroom and away from dear Sekiro is quite a burden.