Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I bought my own modem years ago and the customer service person at Comcast told me it couldn't work. Took a long time until they finally just sent the signal to my house and got it working. Can imagine some other less tech-savvy people might have given up early on.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I expect Sunday Ticket independent of another service provider will always be around $15-20/weekend, rather than per month. Too much money to be made, I know I'd pay it.
That would be about $400 a season, including playoffs, closer to $500 if you count preseason too. That seems a bit steep. Of course, that's probably right about on par with a season ticket in the cheapest section of most NFL stadiums.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Playoffs have never been part of Sunday Ticket, it's only ever covered the weekend games. Playoffs are all local channels and ESPN, preseason has never been part of ST either and are already available directly from the NFL through their website.

ST is just the 17 weekends, the streaming-only PS3 package was $300. I'd pay that if I moved on from DirecTV and wanted to watch my games, though we're kinda spoiled now with picture in picture and whatnot when the Chiefs and Patriots are each playing at the same time.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The amount of money you guys pay for your cable, basically just to get football is crazy! So glad I DGAF about any sports, and cut the cord years ago. #nerdlife

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I want to cut the cord so bad but my wife is resistant. Of course, I watch like 2 shows a year and she watches 800.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Start cutting the cord anyway. Start downloading shows she watches, find them on netflix, etc. Get her used to what it would be like without TV, then see if she would go without. Is it worth $100/month just to watch 1-2 shows you can't find online?

My wife was resistant at first too. And I think it has less to do with availability of shows and more to do with just sitting in front of the TV and finding something to watch. My wife said that, paraphrasing somewhat. She liked to just sit in front of the TV and only half pay attention while she reads pinterest or facebook, or crochets. Luckily, that version of my wife is gone. We watch TV because there's something specific we want to watch and that's it.

Lack of free time from the kid will help too. Some days, watching TV feels almost like a waste, I got other shit I'd rather do.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
I did some math in my case, the shows that don't show up on Netflix are available for purchase (season) on Amazon Video, and the video is available either the same day or the next.

I paid 200$ in 2014 for shows on Amazon Video that I can't watch on Netflix because they are current. 100$ for Netflix for the year, that's 300$. TV service is 90$/mo (not counting the internet side of things) so almost 1000$/y.

So fucking worth it to cut that cord.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
So for the cord cutters, do you have a OTA DVR and antenna, or how do you deal w/ local channels?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Its just not worth the effort. I split Directv cost with someone else so for everything except the movie channels its $53 a month. Well worth the convenience of not having to deal with the hassle of downloading. Regardless the amount of times I catch something on TV I might not of downloaded is well worth the premium. Add to that Sunday ticket and other sports that are difficult to watch online with really high quality and the money is well spent.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Start cutting the cord anyway. Start downloading shows she watches, find them on netflix, etc. Get her used to what it would be like without TV, then see if she would go without. Is it worth $100/month just to watch 1-2 shows you can't find online?

My wife was resistant at first too. And I think it has less to do with availability of shows and more to do with just sitting in front of the TV and finding something to watch. My wife said that, paraphrasing somewhat. She liked to just sit in front of the TV and only half pay attention while she reads pinterest or facebook, or crochets. Luckily, that version of my wife is gone. We watch TV because there's something specific we want to watch and that's it.

Lack of free time from the kid will help too. Some days, watching TV feels almost like a waste, I got other shit I'd rather do.
Yeah this is my wife. She'll play WoW or do cross-stitch and watch TV in the background

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So for the cord cutters, do you have a OTA DVR and antenna, or how do you deal w/ local channels?
Wtf do you care about local channels? Lol. The local news? sports? Don't give a shit. And as mentioned, it really takes a change in how you watch TV. You have to get away from just surfing and watching in the backround, to watching TV specifically because you like a show, and want to watch it.

For my wife, and many friends, they end up watching far less TV, and enjoy doing other things instead.

Its just not worth the effort. I split Directv cost with someone else so for everything except the movie channels its $53 a month. Well worth the convenience of not having to deal with the hassle of downloading. Regardless the amount of times I catch something on TV I might not of downloaded is well worth the premium. Add to that Sunday ticket and other sports that are difficult to watch online with really high quality and the money is well spent.
The effort in downloading shows these days is minimal. Less than once a week I even have to bother to get a show that may have messed up and didn't get grabbed on it's own. If you have to have football, then splitting with someone else I suppose is the best way to do it to cut down on costs, but when I don't care about local channels, or sports, cutting the cord was a no brainer.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Just replicating some of our routines, yeah the evening news and sometimes Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune (toddler son loves both). Not that he misses them we don't watch them. The ability to watch some things live - the vast majority of the programming we do watch are on local channels - would be nice too.

Agree that it would all be a ton easier if we didn't care about sports.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Some OTA antennas are pretty decent for local channels, but it is highly dependent upon your location. You can always give one a try and then return it if it doesn't work enough for you to keep it. If you can mount one in an attic/roof and are in a fairly metropolitan area, you should be able to get some pretty good reception. The ones you set right on top of your TV or somewhere inside are obviously not as good, but if you're in a great spot for local channels you'll be fine.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Also, a lot of carriers have a 'basic tv' package. I have internet with both TWC and ATT (second one is a work backup, I work from home); and ATT threw in free 'basic' cable that includes pretty much everything OTA.

Also, you don't really 'download' shit when you stream from Amazon or Netflix. Oh and if you REALLY want Sports, Dish just launched some 20$/mo "Sling" with TV and ESPN that you use Online (like Hulu/Netflix)

Dish to Sling new live online TV, with ESPN, for $20 a month - SFGate

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
How do you split a DirecTV subscription? Did you have to buy a 2nd satellite dish and install it yourself at the other persons house? OR do you just slingbox it to the other residence or something?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
How do you split a DirecTV subscription? Did you have to buy a 2nd satellite dish and install it yourself at the other persons house? OR do you just slingbox it to the other residence or something?
You pick up the dish from eBay or solid signal, install yourself or hit up a direct tv installer and pay him under the table and give your friend a box or two.

Biggest issue is who keeps the genie vs the hr24.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
With COX you get free local channels with internet so I'm covered there. Really I still just download every show even if I have the channel. There is no reason to have DVR since it's on the web. Shoot I watch shows before the even come on sometimes because I'm on the west coast. People will have them up as soon as the east coast shows them. Also I have my dad's internet code so I can use watch espn and fox sports apps. Really if you want to get rid of TV you can.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
We don't have a DVR but we do use an antenna. Bought this one over the summer and the reception is great. Not all channels are in HD but the ones that are look nice and crisp. We had to mount ours on a wall on the 2nd floor to get more than 2 spanish channels. Once we had it in a good spot we get about 30 or so channels.

Amazon.com: Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in USA: Electronics

That's the 30 mile radius one. They several other strength ones on their site as well for varying prices. Punch in your zip and it'll give you an estimate on how many channels you'll get.

Home of the #1 rated Indoor HDTV Antenna - Mohu

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You pick up the dish from eBay or solid signal, install yourself or hit up a direct tv installer and pay him under the table and give your friend a box or two.

Biggest issue is who keeps the genie vs the hr24.
God damn some people are fucking cheap. It just doesn't make sense to me that grownups with jobs would really go through this kind of nonsense and break the law just to save a few bucks for something you use every day.