Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't forget Nov 1st the 1TB data cap from Comcast rolls out nationwide
Yeah I got the notification for my household of one they are basically telling me to get the unlimited plan. Why are they metering the internet glad there is no real comp here so I guess I get fucked.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah I got the notification for my household of one they are basically telling me to get the unlimited plan. Why are they metering the internet glad there is no real comp here so I guess I get fucked.
Set your router to monitor data usage and compare month to month with Comcast's readings. They have fucked some people over with the caps by having complete shit readings

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
AT&T is going to own Direct TV and Time Warner? I can't see that being approved but I could be wrong.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Keep in mind this is Time Warner the media company, not Time Warner Cable, which was recently bought by Charter.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
But ATT owning content and being a provider is going backwards in terms of competition. This will be approved because the Comcast NBC merger was approved but we're rapidly getting to the point where all content will be controlled by the few providers in the county and none of that is good for the consumer.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
But ATT owning content and being a provider is going backwards in terms of competition. This will be approved because the Comcast NBC merger was approved but we're rapidly getting to the point where all content will be controlled by the few providers in the county and none of that is good for the consumer.

Absolutely. It's still a shitty thing if it eventually goers through, just shitty in a slightly different way.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'm glad I don't have ATT but I'm guessing Verizon does something similar, we just don't know about it. This seems like it should be completely illegal.

AT&T: We Know What You Did Last Summer and We Profited Selling It •

AT&T made a fortune spying on average Americans and sold what they learned to law enforcement agencies who only needed a paid account to access the data, not a subpoena signed by a judge.

The newest revelations of AT&T’s Project Atmosphere by the Daily Beast sucked the oxygen out of the room from collective gasps of those learning the enormity of private information AT&T is selling to any government agency willing to pay. The first news story about the program came in a 2013 New York Times report. But new evidence suggests AT&T’s project may represent the most extensive private surveillance program ever uncovered.

“The for-profit spying program that these documents detail is more terrifying than the illegal NSA surveillance programs that Edward Snowden exposed… If companies are allowed to operate in this manner without repercussions, our democracy has no future,” Evan Greer, campaign director at Fight for the Future, told Newsweek.

AT&T stores details for every call, text message, Skype chat, or any other form of communication that passes through its infrastructure, and has kept that data as far back as 1987, according to the Times 2013 Hemisphere report. The scope and length of the collection has accumulated trillions of records and is believed to be larger than any phone record database collected by the NSA under the Patriot Act.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If AT&T is allowed to sell the information to advertisers or big data companies then the government is allowed to purchase it as well. In Russia and other countries they mandate having government integration, record keeping, and access inside the infrastructure but in America the companies simply do the work themselves so they can make a profit off it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lease is up on the apartment I'm at and the wife and family are renting a house. Comcast has available up to 250mbps internet, and so I'm pretty excited about that. I'm going to have the wife sign up for the account so we qualify for the new customer discounts, and I should be going from 75/5 to 200/10 while maintaining the same price of $50 a month. I'm pretty happy with that.

Although with Comcast the shit's so wonky, that you never know if you are getting the best deal. Depending on who you talk to over the phone, or what link/page you access the deals through on the website, the deal could change every time. Ugh.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Lease is up on the apartment I'm at and the wife and family are renting a house. Comcast has available up to 250mbps internet, and so I'm pretty excited about that. I'm going to have the wife sign up for the account so we qualify for the new customer discounts, and I should be going from 75/5 to 200/10 while maintaining the same price of $50 a month. I'm pretty happy with that.

Although with Comcast the shit's so wonky, that you never know if you are getting the best deal. Depending on who you talk to over the phone, or what link/page you access the deals through on the website, the deal could change every time. Ugh.

That's the problem with Comcast, is dealing with their people. When their shit works, it works great. However it can take multiple phone calls and even unecessary on-site tech visits to get your shit to work if it breaks or doesnt work from the start. I've found if you have to talk to anyone, talk to retentions. Typically if you have any problem, technical or not, talk to/yell at them first. Two big benefits being 1) They're more than likely stateside and not in Guatemala or the Philippines 2) If they can't fix your problem and you still have to deal with a 3rd world country, they can probably cut you one hell of a good deal to keep you if you threaten to quit. I'm currently getting the 150mbps package for the 25 mpbs package price cause of going to retentions after the 3rd world phone centers messed with me for a week.

Siliconemelons

Level 3 is such trash, the parent company that must run this place must have been "What, we can buy a bunch of network and make loads of money!" *they twist their moustachio and puff their cigar* "Okay! money money money! rabble rabble rabble" what? maintenance? what know what we are buying? bahhh what is upkeep?! we don't need to upkeep 0's and 1's! its fiber! in the ground! what more do people want..

SLA's? what are those... what do you mean breach of SLA means we gatta pay you back your contract money? WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE!

Listening down the hall to our CIO tell the L3 reps personally in his office "This better not happen again, I am fairly sure you already are well in breach of our SLA... do you want my network team to investigate it? What no?" and then I am sure the rest was "Okay, well lick my balls now..." .... "okay if this happens again your all toast...get out"

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was thinking about upgrading my speed on Comcast to 150 but they want to charge $15 for some self-install bullshit I don't even need. Fuck if I'm calling them to try and get it waived. That pisses me off they want to scam me like that because there is nothing to fucking install.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just tell them you'll do it yourself and they'll let you. If anything they're going to put an attenuator on the line.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I was thinking about upgrading my speed on Comcast to 150 but they want to charge $15 for some self-install bullshit I don't even need. Fuck if I'm calling them to try and get it waived. That pisses me off they want to scam me like that because there is nothing to fucking install.

Do you rent a modem from them or own? Make sure your modem can actually handle that speed or you will be paying for nothing.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Fucking Cox.

They implemented caps in my area too. This after promising Gigabit speeds 2 years ago and still not delivering.

Looks like I'm going over to AT&T Gigapower. Anyone else have experience with them? I don't want to deal with them if they suck worse than Cox.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Same with Cox and zero alternative unless I want shitty DSL also with a cap. Will have to have a second line installed as I am looking at 1.7 TB of data a month as is.