Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am going from Comcasts 125 to Spectrum's 300 at my new place. Going to cost more but I am excited.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I stopped using Torrents as a means of getting shows, as seeding was killing my 1 TB cap per month. Having to spend the bandwidth to go both ways was too much.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Fucking Cox.

They implemented caps in my area too. This after promising Gigabit speeds 2 years ago and still not delivering.

Looks like I'm going over to AT&T Gigapower. Anyone else have experience with them? I don't want to deal with them if they suck worse than Cox.
Fuck me, Arizona now has a cap too. My only other option is shit their CenturyLink DSL which also has a cap.

Have a 2 month grace period so I'm going to max out my 150 mbit download for the next 60days. Petty revenge but it's all I got

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah just got the 1tb cap email from cox. Nothing else really around in az like ritely said. I go over that about every other month just streaming and shit.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't know what the costs involved are, but Cox has business internet, which if it is similar to Comcast business is cap free. I've had business for close to a decade now because of that reason alone. Generally you pay a bit more for a bit less speed, but if your only other options are shitty dsl, overage fees, or a second line...it might be worth it to look into it. The ONE time someone asked me what my business was, I just told them I do consulting and freelance graphic design work which requires sending huge files back and forth repeatedly for the smallest changes. They really don't give a shit, there is no real requirement that I'm aware of for you to have an actual business, but no reason to flaunt that in their faces either if they ask.

Oh, and when I say a bit more cost, of course I mean a bit more than the normal residential price, not any "first two year" deals or whatever. So if you're currently doing that game, yeah you're gonna notice a decent price hike.

Anyway, still might be worth checking out if you really have no other options.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Just switched to ATT u-verse fiber optics package deal which consists of cable, internet and telephone which was $120.00 cheaper a month from what I was paying with Cox package deal. Plus my download and upload speed are about 120mb on average. With Cox I was at 60md dl and 12mb ul. They have higher internet tiers but what I have I'm happy with.

Ryanz

<Banned>
AT&T Uverse customer here. So for the past 2 months now I've been dealing with slower than advertised internet. I pay for a 45 mbps down plan, and I've been getting 25 mbps. I talked to multiple representatives during this 2 month span that fumbled around and insisted I was on the 45 mbps plan. I figured I might have messed something up because during this time I'm also trying to passthrough to a new router I just bought, and AT&T is apparently a pain in the fucking ass to get this to work properly. So I finally have a technician come out today (something I was trying to avoid all together) to see what the hell is going on. I'm figuring it's a bad router since most of these companies use piece of shit hardware. So come to find out AT&T has had be on a 32 mbps "profile" (basically throttled at that speed) this entire time. The tech was actually more pissed about this situation than I was, and said he's never seen this happen before. He starts messaging them through his AT&T Ipad looking device, I hear it making beeping and booping noises, he resets the router and BOOM, they put me on the actual profile I was suppose to be on which was 55mbps down which averages around the 45mbps down that I've been paying for. He starts messaging his manager and taking screen shots of what they did and says this is customer mistreatment and I needed to call them and give them hell. I asked him if these technicians I've been talking to can actually see the profile I'm on when I'm talking to them, and he said yes absolutely. So this entire time AT&T knew I was on a slower profile speed, and all they had to do was push a button to change it but instead lied to me for the past two months inevitably wasting my time, and wasting their techs time, and taking my money I've spent for a faster advertised speed. Unbelievable. My only other option for internet over here is Charter...how fucking awesome is that?

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
We've had Charter for 5 years and I have no complaints. On the couple occasions service was down or much slower than expected both issues were resolved without much fuss.
Are they notoriously shitty in your area or something?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Companies will do anything to not send a tech out. It's like it comes out of the reps paycheck or something

Ryanz

<Banned>
We've had Charter for 5 years and I have no complaints. On the couple occasions service was down or much slower than expected both issues were resolved without much fuss.
Are they notoriously shitty in your area or something?

I've just heard in general their service is not very reliable and their customer service is atrocious. If their's one thing I can give AT&T it's that the service is never out.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I'm so thankful I am in an area that has a smaller ISP that services us. It used to be called Astound, and now it is Wave Broadband. I've had them since I moved into this house in 2012 and the service has been great. I constantly get AT&T & Comcast coming by trying to get us to switch, but fuck dealing with them.

I just upgraded to their gigabit plan which comes with unlimited data. While the download speed isn't quite true gigabit, it does sit around 800ish so I am happy with it. Unfortunately the upload is only around 20, but I can live with it. Between this and DirecTV Now I am paying $135 per month. Pretty happy overall

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Companies will do anything to not send a tech out. It's like it comes out of the reps paycheck or something

It costs them 45-60 bucks to send a tech out. If you have a biz account they will have no problem sending a tech out because they will charge you for it. With that being said cable is very cheap to maintain and they have very high profit margins. Data Caps are a stopgap to expanding their infrastructure. Remember they work for their investors and not you as the customer.

The inherent problem with ISP's, they are natural monopolies and should be regulated as such. They will fight tooth and nail not to be called a utility but they really are one.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So they have been running lines for wow cable lately over the past few months in my neighborhood. We have time Warner right now plus at&t uverse for options. Right now I have uverse internet 25 meg and direct tv standard package. I'm paying about $240/month.

So this lady came around offering wow tonight, 100 meg internet, cable package with HBO for 24 months at $115/ month. I think it was a no brainer so I signed up. Anyone here have wow?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Went back to Verizon. 122 a month for all the channels they offer plus gig service...

Speeds.jpg