Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm super OCD, I like to know when money is flowing in/out so I don't get any "Fuck you" surprises. Those auto-payments have fucked me so many times in the past when I made shit money that I don't like doing that, seems they always want to be pulled out a the worst times. Eating 200 dollars in overdraft fees stopped that about a decade ago.
Wouldn't you rather have a fuck you surprise on a CC , vs a debit card, where they can fix it, and have it not affect actual money?

Wife and I switched to basically putting everything on a CC about a year ago, and then we pay off the CC every month, and it's the most liberating thing in the world having everything on auto payments!

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Wouldn't you rather have a fuck you surprise on a CC , vs a debit card, where they can fix it, and have it not affect actual money?

Wife and I switched to basically putting everything on a CC about a year ago, and then we pay off the CC every month, and it's the most liberating thing in the world having everything on auto payments!

This. I don't understand why anyone would ever use a debit card for anything.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

I'm actually jumping on the rewards card bandwagon and I'll start doing that. Just waiting on it to show up.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah... our Cox bill just went from $83 to $93 and last month had $50 in overages (coincidentally the same price as adding unlimited) ... now gig service is available for $120.

...and of course our current cable modem isn't compatible, so that's another ~ $150? to consider moving up.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So got an email from cox saying I can have unlimited data for 50 extra bucks a month. Trying to decide if it's worth it or not. Might call them up to see if they can drop it to 30 but then I feel like I'm contributing to the problem of data caps and these fuckers for getting more money out of me.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So got an email from cox saying I can have unlimited data for 50 extra bucks a month. Trying to decide if it's worth it or not. Might call them up to see if they can drop it to 30 but then I feel like I'm contributing to the problem of data caps and these fuckers for getting more money out of me.

Which service tier do you have? I can't imagine it's not cheaper to just move up unless you're already at the top?

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Which service tier do you have? I can't imagine it's not cheaper to just move up unless you're already at the top?

I have Ultimate but the cap is 1tb no matter what tier you have. It just sucks because by the end of the month I have to watch what I download to not go over.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Welllp.

I pulled the trigger. Got an upgrade offer for cyber monday from Cox. $400 gift card if I upgraded packages. I'm paying $93/mo now for 150 mbps, they offered me Gigabit service + every TV channel (including all the normal pay ones like HBO/etc.) for $129/mo with no contract. Goes up to $149 after a year. Couldn't turn it down... I can likely cut Hulu (just watching it for fox/fx shows right now) so that's going to bring my net cost increase to like $24 for every TV station imaginable.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck thats a smoking deal. I wish they had gigablast in my area. I get 380 down and 35 up with ultimate even though it's supposed to be 300 and 30. I pay 80 for ultimate and another 20 for pay channels on contour

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Fuck thats a smoking deal. I wish they had gigablast in my area. I get 380 down and 35 up with ultimate even though it's supposed to be 300 and 30. I pay 80 for ultimate and another 20 for pay channels on contour

Try looking today. They just enabled DOCSIS 3.1 recently in new areas.

spronk

FPS noob
Does gigabit with cox still have a data cap? I can upgrade but sort of held off, I'm JUST under 1tb every month and thats with a lot of mega massive game updates for 4k in the last few months, should be lower going forward. The promo page seems to say its unlimited data cap but I feel like they will change it to 1TB quietly. i love how the promo page pic uses a chick listening to wired music on her iPad (wtf) as the concept idea, like you need 85x faster than DSL to play MP3s
Cox Gigablast Internet: The Gig Life | Cox Communications

Also I think the cox guys kinda juked you on the $400 visa promo, I got the same email and the T&Cs at the bottom clearly state you must sub to THREE services to get the full $400 visa, TV + internet is only two. You can check tho at http://cox.com/reward to see if you qualified

Cox did offer 40% bill cut for anyone who calls into their retention service, I did it yesterday at my parents and their bill (they have every service except home security) went from $225/mo to $135/mo for 12 months, no contract. Took about 30 mins of being on hold though, you'll need your customer pin number and apparently its a bit YMMV depending on how many services you have, people with just internet got rejected on slickdeals
Come Back to Cox and Save | Cox Communications

Last edited:

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah Gigablast has a 1tb cap if you signed up after September I think. If you were on it before you got grandfathered in at unlimited.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Does gigabit with cox still have a data cap? I can upgrade but sort of held off, I'm JUST under 1tb every month and thats with a lot of mega massive game updates for 4k in the last few months, should be lower going forward. The promo page seems to say its unlimited data cap but I feel like they will change it to 1TB quietly. i love how the promo page pic uses a chick listening to wired music on her iPad (wtf) as the concept idea, like you need 85x faster than DSL to play MP3s
Cox Gigablast Internet: The Gig Life | Cox Communications

Also I think the cox guys kinda juked you on the $400 visa promo, I got the same email and the T&Cs at the bottom clearly state you must sub to THREE services to get the full $400 visa, TV + internet is only two. You can check tho at http://cox.com/reward to see if you qualified

Cox did offer 40% bill cut for anyone who calls into their retention service, I did it yesterday at my parents and their bill (they have every service except home security) went from $225/mo to $135/mo for 12 months, no contract. Took about 30 mins of being on hold though, you'll need your customer pin number and apparently its a bit YMMV depending on how many services you have, people with just internet got rejected on slickdeals
Come Back to Cox and Save | Cox Communications

Yea I got TV and the phone ill never even plug in.

The cap still appears to be 1TB. Options are $30 for another 500GB or $50 for unlimited.

For comparison the same package with 300 mbps ultimate was the same price, so why not use the gig service.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
It's wierd because they have docsis 3.1 running in my house but don't offer gigablast. I use the new Motorola MB8600 and the lights are blue indicating docsis 3.1 but when I called they said that's not true. I was just like whatever then.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Was always at the data cap here. I knew I was nowhere near that. After several complaints they sent a tech out. The ISP kept saying someone else is using your wifi. I knew nobody else could be using the wifi here unless they camped out in the woods behind the house all the time. When the tech showed up he was on my side, he couldn't even get the signal in the driveway let alone where someone else might be. I don't know what he did, but the site the ISP puts your usage skipped two days of data and then they put up a message saying those 2 days wouldn't count. Ever since then I'm magically using 1/10th the data per day that I was using. I think they finally got their deal fixed that was counting data.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
6838505371.png

Well it's not TRUE GIGABIT but it's alright.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Internet was down for at least 8 hours yesterday before I went to sleep :( MY ONE DAY OFF COMCAST, MY ONE DAY OFF. Fuckers.

Imagine if we lived in a world where they prorated you for downtime so you didn't pay for it. That should be a thing

Palum it's amusing your up is so bad relatively. Not that you need more than that