Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm not sure how you could pursue an Amazon monopoly. They have no business to really break up and you can't tell them they can't expand into certain types of markets.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I just meant monopoly in the loose sense of massive % of marketshare, to the point that its near impossible for smaller businesses to gain a significant foot hold, not that they would be the absolute only option in their fields of commerce. I could see a situation 20 years from now where 90% of the goods that you purchase come from either Amazon or Wal-Mart. Groceries, household goods, appliances, electronics, etc. Basically anything you might buy short of cars and homes(and maybe even those, as Jilariz alluded to in his post)

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
FYI Slings channel line up seems to be increasing. Not name brand channels or anything but definitely more and they added a couple of new packages (Sports, Hollywood, World News, Lifestyle. The basic package still seems to be more then enough though with ESPN, Food Network, Travel, TNT, CNN, Disney Carton Network, TBS, HGTV and ABC.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Agreed Jilariz. As much as we all bitch about the Time Warner/Comcast cable monopolies and Verizon/AT&T phone monopolies, we might not be too far away from a Wal-Mart/Amazon retail monopoly where those two retailers are responsible for the VAST majority of goods and services bought in the US.
If that happens in that sector of the economy it will be because the barriers to entry will be too high for anyone to challenge them aka too much government regulation.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Except Comcast and ATT are suing the FCC to overturn the ruling. They'll drag it out in court long enough to get the right guy in there to overturn the ruling. The can is just going to get kicked down the road.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I really wish a fucking meteor would land on top of Comcast headquarters.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
ExceptExcept Comcast and ATT are suing the FCC to overturn the ruling. They'll drag it out in court long enough to get the right guy in there to overturn the ruling. The can is just going to get kicked down the road.
I don't think the lawsuits are going anywhere. When Verizon won their lawsuit the court specifically said that the FCC did not have the power to rule UNLESS they invoke title 2 but they would be able to if they did that.

The way that they're going to get the ruling reversed is through congress. That said though, Net Neutrality is very popular outside of Fox News viewers who think the internet is just how they look at pictures of their grandchildren and Obama is about to start charging them for it. Even the Republican plan is a lot better than what we have now, so if congress overturns the FCC ruling and replaces it with an actual modern net neutrality law, that would be a best case scenario. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I don't think it's going back to the way it was before the ruling.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don't think the lawsuits are going anywhere. When Verizon won their lawsuit the court specifically said that the FCC did not have the power to rule UNLESS they invoke title 2 but they would be able to if they did that.

The way that they're going to get the ruling reversed is through congress. That said though, Net Neutrality is very popular outside of Fox News viewers who think the internet is just how they look at pictures of their grandchildren and Obama is about to start charging them for it. Even the Republican plan is a lot better than what we have now, so if congress overturns the FCC ruling and replaces it with an actual modern net neutrality law, that would be a best case scenario. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I don't think it's going back to the way it was before the ruling.
The way it was? Maybe not. However, I can see congress passing a bill that completely neuters the FCCs ability to regulate anything in regards to ISPs and eventually it gets worse. If there's one thing these vampires know how to do, it's squeeze blood from a turnip.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Congress can't agree on anything. More likely would be a new commissioner and new FCC vote assuming democrats lose the Whitehouse.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Congress can't agree on anything. More likely would be a new commissioner and new FCC vote assuming democrats lose the Whitehouse.
Congress will agree just fine if enough money is on the table.

Desidero

N00b
The republican party has gone off the deep end in the last decade or so. Even if someone as unlikeable as Hillary runs on the dem side, she'll most likely win. It's just a matter of whether Comcast purchases her during campaign fundraising...

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
The republican party has gone off the deep end in the last decade or so. Even if someone as unlikeable as Hillary runs on the dem side, she'll most likely win. It's just a matter of whether Comcast purchases her during campaign fundraising...
What do you mean if? They are ALL bought and paid for.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I don't think this is a forgone conclusion in the least. We usually swing back and forth between republican and democrat every time a new president comes in. You also have the fact that Obama is a terrible president, and this is coming from someone that voted for him. If a republican doesn't win this time I will be shocked. I just hope its not some crazy.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Since Thurman is within the Adirondack park, I'm surprised they didn't have to camouflage the base station antennas more. People here tend to lose their shit if they can see a cell tower inside the park. I remember a big debate 10 years or so ago about "Frankentree", a cell tower near the southern end of Lake George. Tons of people were pissed off about it because you could still tell it was a cell tower and it was ruining the park.

Cell service is still bad throughout a lot of the park due to the restrictions, even along I-87. I remember someone going off the Northway in the winter and freezing to death because they got trapped in their car out of sight from the road and couldn't get a signal on their cell. There was talk about building a bunch of smaller towers after that, but nobody wanted to do it because of the additional cost over building fewer, big towers.

I hope things work out for Thurman, as we need some actual competition around here along with service for areas that are stuck with satellite or dial up.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That is pretty cool. Our local telephone co-op has put up LTE in some neighborhoods but they told me it wasn't practical in my area because of too many hills. I feel very confident that the TV interference wouldn't be a problem here. We used to get one channel if you had one of the big ass antennas on your roof but I'm not sure that is even there any more.