Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Supposedly the dish costs them $1500 to build so I guess it's a bargain...

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
In any case, I'm happy to pay it to have actual broadband for the first time since I cancelled my Comcast and moved here 12½ years ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So they have recently removed the geo-restrictions on McFlat, this has caused some unforseen problems too pop up, but it has gotten much better the past few day's back up too 100/25 on my Starlink was at 12/6 for the first week... They are still working on it, but laser beams will be launched with every deployment of sat's from here on out :D

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I got my starlink set up and it's a game changer. The internet just works now. It's amazing after 12 years of being barely functional online.

This speedtest from the first day got me excited...

starlink.png

Haven't seen that again, but the fast ones are around 150Mbps and the slow ones are around 65. Very rarely see anything below 50 and 1080P streams flawlessly when before I could only get 480p on a good day. My brother just got his turned on yesterday and he's very happy so far as well.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I got my starlink set up and it's a game changer. The internet just works now. It's amazing after 12 years of being barely functional online.

Haven't seen that again, but the fast ones are around 150Mbps and the slow ones are around 65. Very rarely see anything below 50 and 1080P streams flawlessly when before I could only get 480p on a good day. My brother just got his turned on yesterday and he's very happy so far as well.

I have noticed that the speed tests with it, are very very picky about the server you use, it probably is congestion issues honestly.

The only server I can test were I live and get good results is the eero servers down in Sac, some odd reason any other server I try and test too gives me just flat out lies on the up/down speeds.

Janx

<Silver Donator>

View attachment 371760

Man I accidently read the first few posts of this thread the other day and remember you're post and having shit internet (3mbps down?). Thats great to hear man! Didn't you have some super low data cap also? Starlink give you unlimited?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Thanks. Yeah I think I was capped at 35GB which was up from 15 a few years ago. In a way it didn't matter that much because the regular service was so crappy it was hard to tell if I was throttled sometimes. Starlink is totally unlimited so far.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I think it's gonna remain unlimited also... the Mars clause in the contract is the most hysterical thing though lol

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

View attachment 371760

Whats really fucked up is when you realize my cellphone gets faster throughput than your new internet. Props to Musk for brining the 21st century to rural America.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, LTE around here is usually around 7-10mbps if you can get it. I do have decent coverage at my house but my family just a quarter mile down the road doesn't.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
SO I guess I can get 5g Ultra wide at my house now. On my phone I'm getting speeds of 500 up and 60 down with ping at 10. I was wondering if you guys know if that's the speed I would get from verizon on their modem also for the computer. Plus their top tier plan would only cost 35 bucks if I bundle it with my verizon phone plan. So tempted to switch from cox if I can get the same speeds as my phone.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
SO I guess I can get 5g Ultra wide at my house now. On my phone I'm getting speeds of 500 up and 60 down with ping at 10. I was wondering if you guys know if that's the speed I would get from verizon on their modem also for the computer. Plus their top tier plan would only cost 35 bucks if I bundle it with my verizon phone plan. So tempted to switch from cox if I can get the same speeds as my phone.

The Ultra Wide band stuff is usually capped at 100/25(Also I think it depends on how crowded you're tower is), but at that cost would be worth it..

Verizon just added there wide band stuff were I live, and ya 35$ a month with my plan is a steal use it as my primary and my Starlink as my secondary.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I honestly stopped caring about phone speeds once it got above 100meg with my 5G Galaxy. For a phone anything above that speed is great but not needed. For me anyways.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
4 months in and if anything starlink has gotten better. There's been an occasional drop out but only once did it last more than a minute or two. I think one time I noticed a 20ish minute dropout but for the most part it just works. Stream high def with no loading time. Speed tests are consistently above 200mbps. Basically took me from 2001 to 2021 overnight and the best thing is I don't ever even think about it. Just do whatever I want online and it just works. I really have high hopes that it won't slow down as more people join like the other satellite internet has because at any given time each satellite is serving a pretty small area and there just aren't that many people in my area even if they were all using it.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

my area is about to get some gov $$$ to run broadband to hillbillies that live up in the sticks. they are planning on spending over $6mil, avg of $8k per house or $120k per mile for a little under 800 people. back during obama's broadband plan they ran fiber down the middle of my town and 3-4 blocks to each side. that left me able to see houses with fiber. they said to wire my neighborhood of 24 houses would cost $30k and wouldn't do it. a tad salty. my download is good, but up is shit.

they did a test with starlink, think they were given a dozen free dishes, but guess that didn't go anywhere. would think someone on the side of mountain wouldn't get good signals.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Our local telephone coop told us they're bringing fiber through this area in 2023, presumably thanks to the latest deluge of cash from the feds. There's one ranch in particular there's 3 families and they have never even had a phone line and there's zero cell coverage. The coop hooked them up with a radio phone and later satellite phones (which suck BTW) because they didn't want to run a phone line down there. It's literally like 5-6 miles of fiber over very rough terrain to serve those three houses and no one else, but low and behold, they're even running a line to them supposedly. The funny part though is that they all got on Starlink last year though and they love it. I'm now imagining a scenario where the coop runs a line 6 miles through the badlands to their house and they're like "no thanks, we're good."

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
my area is about to get some gov $$$ to run broadband to hillbillies that live up in the sticks. they are planning on spending over $6mil, avg of $8k per house or $120k per mile for a little under 800 people. back during obama's broadband plan they ran fiber down the middle of my town and 3-4 blocks to each side. that left me able to see houses with fiber. they said to wire my neighborhood of 24 houses would cost $30k and wouldn't do it. a tad salty. my download is good, but up is shit.

they did a test with starlink, think they were given a dozen free dishes, but guess that didn't go anywhere. would think someone on the side of mountain wouldn't get good signals.

For Starlink too work good you really need a very very clear and large Northern View of the sky.. Now the new dishes, the square ones will shrink the area needed for signal, but if you want a constant strong signal too say play MMO's you have too have that clear view there's no way around it.. With Starlink speed it might work good for streaming with a partially blocked signal just cause of speed. Which should be going up soon I think the new Satellites with the laser inter-links are almost ready too go live, and they are starting too launch out for the 2nd shell of the constellation.