Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Yeah, Comcast is notorious for it. You watch Netflix streamed to your computer or anything with Comcast, and you're virtually in SD.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I laugh everytime, they up there speeds cause competition comes into town, cause you know... it's too expensive to upgrade the infrastructure...

such bullshit...

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I laugh everytime, they up there speeds cause competition comes into town, cause you know... it's too expensive to upgrade the infrastructure...

such bullshit...
Gotta love natural monopolies. Still wondering why cellular carriers who advertise how awesome their "4g" network is arent really competition for ISPs.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Well good news for Comcast

Netflix and Comcast Agreement Announced - Comcast HSI | DSLReports Forums

Netflix Agrees to Pay Comcast to End Web Traffic Jam - WSJ.com

Netflix and Comcast Agreement Announced
FYI - I thought this news would be of interest here:

Comcast and Netflix have announced a mutually beneficial interconnection agreement that will provide our Xfinity Internet customers with a high-quality Netflix video experience for years to come. Working collaboratively over many months, we and Netflix have established a more direct connection between us, similar to other networks, that's already delivering an even better user experience to consumers, while also allowing for future growth in Netflix traffic. Netflix receives no preferential network treatment under the multi-year agreement*, terms of which are not being disclosed.

* Under the FCC's Open Internet rules all Internet traffic must be treated equally.
--
JL
Comcast
Well, as noted in other threads, folks have already noticed the interconnection points coming online. But IIRC Netflix is something like 1/3 of peak hour Internet traffic, which is a LOT, so that capacity won't come online overnight. That said, we've obviously both been working on this for awhile and both know what areas need ports first, so hopefully very soon (some may see it in days).
--
JL
Comcast

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So they went from totally denying restricting speeds to announcing there was an agreement made for them to stop restricting speeds?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I guess we're not even pretending that net neutrality is a thing anymore.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Verizon's Wireless Net, is such garbage for the home service, it's basically a 3g repeater even though they say it has 4g capabilites...

does the FCC even have any power anymore ? that bill from 96 were most of the US was suppose to have 45meg up/down service(by 2006, and rest of US by 2013? if I remember right.) I think it was like 200billion for that damn thing too.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I guess we're not even pretending that net neutrality is a thing anymore.
This arrangement has nothing to do with net neutrality though. It's not about a provider reserving/limiting bandwidth for Netflix. Netflix is going to send traffic to Comcast over a NON-Internet connection. It would be like saying people hosting LAN parties are violating some net neutrality concept since they are skipping the internet.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It still comes down to "your content is slow until you start writing big assed checks to Comcast and if you can't afford it then sorry you lose". Net Neutrality at its finest.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
My Comcast internet went out for a short while late last night. I checked it tonight. They doubled the speeds. Went from 30 down/4 up to 60 down/10 up. I'm in an area where their only competition is DSL. I'm very surprised.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Watch for a rate increase in about 6 months. Time Warner did the same thing last year "hey we're awesome, we're doubling everyone's speeds!". Then 6 months later they bumped everyone up $10-$15 a month, putting you close to the price you would have been paying for the next higher tier of service anyways. They claimed there was no correlation between the two events.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Arative

Vyemm Raider
At least the good thing about charter is that you can call them up and threaten to cancel and they will lower you're bill for another 12 months.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
Maybe this is just because I live in Utah, which has an enormous market of fiber competition to Comcast, but I actually see the problem of these monopolies figuring themselves out eventually. If nothing else the technology for distributing/receiving the web will eventually bypass the ineffectual, limited product being offered by the monopolies. Right now they maintain their dominance by being the only available options, the inherent financial inaccessibility of adding more options, and their political influence. But a firm "stagnation, stagnation, stagnation" company policy can't last in the market of technology. 5-10 years down the road someone's going to figure out how to do strong, cheap global wifi or some other alternative to laying cable, standardizing service to the point where Comcast and Verizon will be forgotten virtually overnight. I have nothing to back up those statements, but let that prediction stand for posterity.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Iridium is starting to launch a new 72-satellite array that would be capable of giving anyone on the planet 8 Mbit down no matter where they are. It's a replacement for their sat phone array that they already went broke on. I suspect it will be expensive since the satellites cost so much to put up but they are saving a ton by using SpaceX to get them up there so who knows. It would also provide voice service but unlike the original Iridium project, it is primarily focused on internet access. It will still have latency issues, but stuff like that and Google's balloons and such might mean that you will be right eventually and there will be viable alternatives to running wires to everyone's house.

How Iridium took a chance on SpaceX and won | GigaOm

Remit_sl

shitlord
Iridium is starting to launch a new 72-satellite array that would be capable of giving anyone on the planet 8 Mbit down no matter where they are. It's a replacement for their sat phone array that they already went broke on. I suspect it will be expensive since the satellites cost so much to put up but they are saving a ton by using SpaceX to get them up there so who knows. It would also provide voice service but unlike the original Iridium project, it is primarily focused on internet access. It will still have latency issues, but stuff like that and Google's balloons and such might mean that you will be right eventually and there will be viable alternatives to running wires to everyone's house.

How Iridium took a chance on SpaceX and won | GigaOm
Yeah I priced out an Iridium phone and data package when I bought my sat phone a while back. I have a Globalstar for a reason.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Maybe this is just because I live in Utah, which has an enormous market of fiber competition to Comcast, but I actually see the problem of these monopolies figuring themselves out eventually. If nothing else the technology for distributing/receiving the web will eventually bypass the ineffectual, limited product being offered by the monopolies. Right now they maintain their dominance by being the only available options, the inherent financial inaccessibility of adding more options, and their political influence. But a firm "stagnation, stagnation, stagnation" company policy can't last in the market of technology. 5-10 years down the road someone's going to figure out how to do strong, cheap global wifi or some other alternative to laying cable, standardizing service to the point where Comcast and Verizon will be forgotten virtually overnight. I have nothing to back up those statements, but let that prediction stand for posterity.
Obviously they need to vertically integrate strategic price point deliverables for global synergy.