Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
On a sidenote, I had to laugh at the ABC Oscars streaming requirements last night which included Google Fiber subscribers, but not in any city Google Fiber exists.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i keep passing my bandwidth mark every month and am paying around $10-25 dollars in overage fees. Business internet doesn't have a limit. Has anyone tried upgrading their service from residential to business? what sort of questions do they ask or do they just give you the service?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I wouldn't think you would have trouble getting it, but "business class" internet service is going to cost you about 50% more than your residential service, for the same speeds.

Comcast, for instance, offers 50mbps down residential for like $69, whereas its $109 for business class, you're probably better off just paying your overages if they are usually $20 or less.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i am paying $50+5 (rental fee) for 30 mbps (20 mbps in practice) and 250 gb. generally, I am popping out $70-85 per month before tax per month. I can reduce that to $61.95 per month. 16 mbps and unlimited. only big downside is the upload speed. 10 mbps to 2 mbps if I were to change it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'd guess the residential version of the 16/2 plan + overages is still cheaper, if you're going to downgrade your service anyways. It just blows that less than 5% of the US actually has access to their choice of 2+ cable companies for service. Lack of choice is terrible.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I recently moved to a new apartment across the street and I was unable to keep my U-verse, the only option was to switch to TWC. I could not believe all the bullshit I had to go through just to get my PS3 to work online. I've also noticed that Netflix is almost never an HD picture and always extremely grainy with the same speed connection.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You'll also soon learn the joy of Youtube being virtually unusable during US evening hours. Yay for Time Warner!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We've already established that fiber to the home is completely unpossible.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
i keep passing my bandwidth mark every month and am paying around $10-25 dollars in overage fees. Business internet doesn't have a limit. Has anyone tried upgrading their service from residential to business? what sort of questions do they ask or do they just give you the service?
I use Comcast business class, and love it. Not only the lack of bandwidth limits, but the fact that you get to call a different number with no discernible hold times if you need help, and they will have someone out to your location within 4 hours no matter what time of day it is. I got home late one night and called at 2am, and they asked if I wanted someone to come out now or first thing in the morning. I told them now, because I "needed it for work in the morning", and the guy was calling me to tell me it was fixed at 5am.

They don't make you prove that you have a business, and if they ask I just say I need it to work from home or some shit. The two things that are different are that you have to sign a contract, usually two years, but if you were to move somewhere that didn't have Comcast they'd terminate it with no fees. You're stuck with it for two years otherwise though, except the first 30 days or so I believe (but check to be sure) when you can change your mind. Also, you HAVE to rent their business gateway, you can't get your own modem. The reason they gave was for speed of troubleshooting, but whatever the reason, you're required to have it.

Your mileage may vary of course due to being Canadian with a different company, but that's my experience with Comcast. Given that it is Comcast, I have nothing but good things to say about it, and after I dropped the TV portion of the bill I am still saving over $100 a month, so it was worth it. Oh, and I use a VPN for all of my pirating, but prior to that I didn't really cover my tracks, and I'm fairly certain they give exactly zero fucks about what people with business class do with their line.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I use Comcast business class, and love it. Not only the lack of bandwidth limits, but the fact that you get to call a different number with no discernible hold times if you need help, and they will have someone out to your location within 4 hours no matter what time of day it is.
Place where I work has Comcast business class. Took 'em 4 DAYS to come out and fix an issue.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah we have the worst experience with Comcast at our offices. It's really unbelievably terrible from what I hear from our facilities people.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
We have it at our office too (that's how I decided to get it for myself), and they've been pretty good. If it is something outside of the building that they are aware of, it very likely might take days I'm sure. But all the typical "it isn't working and we don't know why" has had someone out within a reasonable time. Maybe it is because they ran the line in response to us asking to get service here, and a bunch of people up and down the street signed up and they want to make a good impression for a few years? Who knows.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Who were the people that had Comcast's X1 system again?

We're getting it installed in our new house May 1st (SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS WE'RE THE ONLY SERVICE PROVIDERS IN THE AREA). They kept pushing the Comcast wireless router, even though I insisted I liked mine better. They told me it was free and I could just keep it in the closet as backup - fine, whatever. The lady kept pushing me to get it because apparently they install it outside so you can use your phone and watch TV outside? Do people do that?

Anyone know if their router is a giant turd?

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Don't know about other areas, but in mine, Triple Play is required if you want to get X1. Fuck that shit.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Who were the people that had Comcast's X1 system again?

We're getting it installed in our new house May 1st (SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS WE'RE THE ONLY SERVICE PROVIDERS IN THE AREA). They kept pushing the Comcast wireless router, even though I insisted I liked mine better. They told me it was free and I could just keep it in the closet as backup - fine, whatever. The lady kept pushing me to get it because apparently they install it outside so you can use your phone and watch TV outside? Do people do that?

Anyone know if their router is a giant turd?
With the U-Verse wireless box we watched a bunch of Stanley Cup games last Spring/early Summer and the first month or so of NFL and College Football on our back patio. Late June/July/August was too hot. I have a smaller 32" Vizio that I bring out there and just set up on a card table. Eventually I'd like to get a mount for the wall out there but I'm not in a rush to do that.