Shadow and Bone

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This was pretty good. Will definitely watch season 2. Some of the narrative is a bit rushed and doesn't make a whole lot of sense but it had good characters, acting and an interesting world.

So we see the events leading up to General Kirigan creating the Fold and we see how he got the power to do so, yet he doesn't use any amplifiers as was suggested earlier in the show. He just reads a piece of paper and then... does it. Fast forward to his plans with Alina to use the amplifiers and her power together with his to move it so he can conquer the world. It doesn't make much sense. Why doesn't he just go around the world threatening nations with that power and creating more... how come he could only do it once... centuries ago... and now he needs the sun summoner AND amplifiers?

Plot holes or not its still a good watch.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
About the amplifiers..

The lack of detail around how the amplifiers worked was certainly one of the weak points. I was surprised when they literally implanted a part of the antler into her. It was a nice effect of sacrifice that a person has to bond with the amplifier rather than just wearing it. Also, they did very little to discuss the other amplifiers that do exist according to that one page that showed multiple ones. Maybe season 2 will draw that out a little more.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I watched the first episode and enjoyed it enough. I also don't mind if the main characters happen to be "diverse" if it fits the narrative, which it does in this case with everyone thinking they are dirty foreigners. And that main chick is weirdly compelling to me, like more than she should be. Of course almost every lead actress ends up being at least moderately attractive (outside of trash like Batwoman or Ghostbusters 2016), and she isn't a stunning Victoria's Secret model or anything, but damn, something about her makes her more attractive than I think she should be to me. And no, it isn't yellow fever; that isn't really a thing for me. And she looks way more white than asian anyway.

Anyway, I will likely finish this off eventually, but I've got a few others I want to finish first. I mainly came here to see what people thought, and it seems like it will be worth my time.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Her Father is Chinese but I think she could pull off Native American if she had to. She does have this kind of quiet beauty that does not jump out at you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This show is pretty solid. But Ep 4 pissed me off. We'll see if it begins to be enough to turn me completely off of the show.

It had been almost entirely devoid of sexuality, despite being heavy on love themes. Then Ep 4 rolls along and throws us a gay sex scene, and highlights another gay couple at the "event."

So fucking brave and stunning! And tiresome. Mostly tiresome.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is the MC well written, or is she a "I am womyn, I am strong!"?
Definitely not the latter, but she feels like a MacGuffin then a well written character.

The world is cool and Netflix put money in it. I’ll definitely watch the next season, but it’s not amazing (it has a very standard ya feel to it)

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
This was aight/meh. Quite on-the-nose with the Young Adult Dystopian Romance Novel formula, lots of secondary characters dying because the young attractive, ambiguously ethnic "friends" can't admit they want to bone each other from the beginning. But the world-building is cool, kind of Avatar (anime not aliens) with a sprinkling of steampunk and GOT. It's a shame these fantasy concepts are always wrapped in juvenile emotional drama.

Lead actress looks like a young Olivia Munn, which makes sense given common ancestry. Don't go looking up her pronouns though - you'll be disappointed.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Yes, well, it is a Young Adult novel, it is not like they done with Locke and Key, where they converted a sadistic horror story with pedophilia and torture into a Young Adult story. In here the source material was Young Adult to begin with.

Overall, it is not meh, but it is aight.
You will have some elements of ”gay power” and ”strong womyn” and ”I am an oppressed refugee cause racism” in most TV shows from now on, get used to it. But in this show they are just tangential, a few added scenes here and there, awkward and lame, but they pass quick.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
That gay sharpshooter guy, its like everywhere he goes the people he happens to bump into other gays. Like he emits a gayness field that turns anyone in his vicinity gay.

Perfectly normal medieval fantasy setting... then out of nowhere BAM its the fucking pride parade in the tenderloin district. Yeah , not jarring at all. Totally normal and believable.

Really enjoying the show but the "gays are actually normal not fucking extremely rare freaks" shit is so out of place in a medieval setting.

• 3Like
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Yeah the hard to grasp part about the 'medieval setting' with locomotives, gas lamps, pistols, machine guns, women as soldiers, bullet-proof kaftans and magic users throwing fireballs and snapping bones with a gesture is that there are gay people in world that also features a LOT of casual sex and doesn't even seem to have a concrete concept of marriage.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So many dumb shortside takes from people. Comparing a book for teenagers in a fantasy world to a real life historical setting is stupid. They werent forcing some "i am womyn" narrative at all, the main character just happens to be female. People getting upset over a gay guy in 2021 is fucking laughable. It was one scene.

It was a fun show and I liked the steampunk world. I hope they make a season 2. The villain was super lame and predictable. Felt like a shitty Voldemort. That was the only thing I would complain about.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm on episode 5 so far, and enjoying this.

I like the setting, the character are for the most part interesting. The plot is serviceable, not great but not bad either.

The production values though are pretty amazing, this is a great looking show.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Well, I did they the gay "scenes" or "moments" were awkward and lame, but the story is not about them. And the scene in the stables didnt even piss me off that much, it was the black dyke who, out of nowhere, declares that she is gay and that she would want to sleep with the chick that blasted the Sun Summoner into that pile of hay.

That one fucking line of dialogue was so gratuitous, just nonsensical really, just to be woke. And it pissed me off, even though I worship lesbians. But then again, as I said, it was just a tangential scene, or moment in a scene... Does not detract from the overall enjoyment of the show.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Never read the books, only just found this thread and watched the trailers, worth checking out? Love good sci-fi/fantasy shows.

• 1Picard

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Never read the books, only just found this thread and watched the trailers, worth checking out? Love good sci-fi/fantasy shows.
Do you have your posts dictated? You have almost 2 pages worth of opinions plus a 4 star rating.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Do you have your posts dictated? You have almost 2 pages worth of opinions plus a 4 star rating.

Was curious to get a few more. There tend to be a good deal of varying opinions around here, for various reasons.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
It's... ok.

it has about the same vibe as

or

So if you found those shows watchable, you'd be fine with this one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It seems like some British actors I have no issue understanding and other sound Like Brad Pitt in Snatch. I am almost ready to turn on subtitles on this bitch.

• 1Pathetic

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
That gay sharpshooter guy, its like everywhere he goes the people he happens to bump into other gays. Like he emits a gayness field that turns anyone in his vicinity gay.

Perfectly normal medieval fantasy setting... then out of nowhere BAM its the fucking pride parade in the tenderloin district. Yeah , not jarring at all. Totally normal and believable.

Really enjoying the show but the "gays are actually normal not fucking extremely rare freaks" shit is so out of place in a medieval setting.
Gay Hearts GIF
Gay Hearts GIF
Gay Hearts GIF