Shadow of the Tomb Raider

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob

Shadow of the Tomb Raider will release Sept 14th, 2018 as the third and final installment of the Lara Croft origins reboot trilogy.

It will launch multiplat on ps4, xbox one, and PC

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
You think uncharted was better? That's crazy to me, I tried to go back and play uncharted after playing the first Tom Raider and it just wasn't as fun and I quit playing.

Really looking forward to this.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Uncharted is better in the writing/acting/motion-capture, but I found Tomb Raiders to be much better games(and I'm a Naughty Dog fanboy).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Good news, one of my favorite adventure series.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
You think uncharted was better? That's crazy to me, I tried to go back and play uncharted after playing the first Tom Raider and it just wasn't as fun and I quit playing.

Really looking forward to this.

I enjoyed the mythos and characters of uncharted way, way more. I like the OG Lara Croft (not there is really much of a character) but I just found the reboot to just kind of be all over the map on character building, most of it really boring and not working. I like for example the ancient guy in 2016 but it felt incomplete and undeveloped, just like her black buddy. Whereas Sully, Chloe, Drake, and others felt like complex, developed characters that I wanted to see more of. UC4 was maybe a step backwards though.

One thing I do like is how the Tomb Raider series does embrace fully the unearthly and deftly weaves reality and mythology into a single world, whereas Uncharted started off that way in 1 but firmly went back to rooted reality by three. The movie is out tomorrow and I am curious if its gonna go for realism or mysticism.

I just hope the final game can make Lara into a more complicated and fun character to play with real relationships, not just "oh this is my black friend, and this is my asian friend, and we are all friends who like to raid tombs". Game play wise for sure TR is better than uncharted but I just never really feel that immersed in the world whereas I loved walking around and exploring the world in Uncharted. The UC4 DLC with Chloe is also fantastic in its tombs and stuff, really beautiful visually.

• 1Solidarity

Vorph

Personally I think Uncharted was massively improved by ditching most of the supernatural crap in the later games. I'm willing to suspend disbelief on the notion that all these centuries-old traps and puzzles are still functional, but throwing in zombies and shit is asking way too much.

The movie is out tomorrow and I am curious if its gonna go for realism or mysticism.
It's heavily based on Tomb Raider 2013, so it will start off with realism and switch over to the supernatural towards the end. Even just from the trailers with Lara's father talking about saving the world by stopping Trinity it's clear that what's on the island isn't 'normal'.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Uncharted games suffer from major pacing problems, I have played them all and only beat the 4th one because I said I am not going to fall into the trap of find/collect everything and play on hard. I went though on normal with auto targeting and have zero regrets.
Tomb Raider though the shooting feels way better and love beating them on hardest setting.

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
I like uncharted better, but the first tomb raider fell flat to me. I can’t even remember what you fight in the game. Note, I didn’t play the newest tomb raider

• 1Dislike

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I like uncharted better, but the first tomb raider fell flat to me. I can’t even remember what you fight in the game. Note, I didn’t play the newest tomb raider
The 2nd one is better in every way. I would suggest giving it a shot. It goes on sale a lot.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Yay, an "official announcement" of a countdown to another announcement and a teaser trailer filled with nothing but bullshots.

The 2nd one is better in every way.
Except Lara's face. Hopefully that travesty will be undone in SotTR.

• 1Worf

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1st one was amazing. 2nd one improved on it in every single way. I hope the trend continues.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
1st one was amazing, I'm only halfway through the second one.

There were so many memorable moments in the first one, I especially liked how it felt like the game was about to end and then you'd get fucked over. I was heartbroken everytime I thought it was over until the end.

• 1Like

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't think the Lara in the first one was very likable. The one in Rise was pretty awesome in every way. And yeah, the gameplay and character development was much improved as well.

• 1Dislike

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm excited, but if all half the cinematics are her helplessly falling down things again it'll be a little annoying. I really enjoyed the gameplay of both new ones so far and liked the slightly fleshed out tombs in RotR way more so hopefully they continue that direction.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
The second in the series of the reboots has less (way less) QTE's.

I just couldn't understand all the rage about her in the OG days. I understand she's got big tits, but what else? I just couldn't see it. I'm really excited for this one. They could potentially go on forever. Here's to hoping.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Both of the reboot games were great, i'm hoping they see what Horizon did and adopt some of the features from that game.

Vorph

Like what? I mean, the weakest part of Horizon by a mile was Aloy vs. other humans and that's what Lara spends most of her time doing. I don't think anyone at CD is crazy enough to bring dinosaurs back to TR, so I'm not sure what it could learn from HZD.

I'd be ok with a more open world (and a lot more actual raiding of tombs) rather than the metroidvania-esque approach of the last two though.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
They could potentially go on forever. Here's to hoping.

This is expected - unfortunately - to be the last in the reboot series. :( Very sad. It would be pretty cool if there was a cross over Uncharted and Tomb Raider.